• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What Happens to a Believers Sin?

• Administrators

One year Bill Rice preached at our conference. He preached (as usual) a really good message. It's been a long time ago, but one of the things he said has stuck with me. He took us to the passage in 1 John 5:18 and explained it like this. He said (not 100%) take for example the Rice family. When he was a child, maybe he and some friends were throwing rocks. His dad drives by and says, "Bill, Rice's don't throw rocks." Now, did that mean he wasn't a Rice because he threw them? No, his dad was telling him NOT to throw rocks because he WAS a Rice. In this same manner, God is telling us that we are not to commit willful sin.

• Members
One year Bill Rice preached at our conference. He preached (as usual) a really good message. It's been a long time ago' date=' but one of the things he said has stuck with me. He took us to the passage in 1 John 5:18 and explained it like this. He said (not 100%) take for example the Rice family. When he was a child, maybe he and some friends were throwing rocks. His dad drives by and says, "Bill, Rice's don't throw rocks." Now, did that mean he wasn't a Rice because he threw them? No, his dad was telling him NOT to throw rocks because he WAS a Rice. In this same manner, God is telling us that we are not to commit [u']willful sin.

:amen: That's a good anology - can I use that one?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just a thought. I would be careful is saying that salvation is achieved just because you believe. As Paul points out even satan and his minions believe who Jesus is. In fact they know it first hand. The big difference is that they do not accept Jesus as Lord of their life.

Another big difference is that satan and his minions do not accept that breaking God's Laws is sin and hence do not seek forgiveness. We, as followers of Jesus, accept that breaking God's Laws is sin, that we are sinners, and we seek forgiveness when we fall short.

Jesus died so that we "could" be saved. When we accept Him as Lord of our life all our past sins are forgiven. As well as any future sins - if we continue confessing Him as our Lord by seeking Him to intercede for us with the Father (God).

You can not earn your way with works but "faith without works is dead". A rather strange analogy I use is that we are born legless twenty yards from the goal line (salvation). When we accept Jesus as Lord we are given a pair of legs. We still have to walk that twenty yards (i.e. walk in His footsteps). We may stumble but as long as we keep trying (as Christ said "enduring to the end") we know we have salvation. We can not "earn" the legs given us for this walk - faith does that. God just asks that we use the legs he gave us and not be a couch potato.

Your Brother in Christ
"If you want to know what I believe - don't ask me until you have watched me. It helps me know how I'm really doing!"

• 2 months later...
  • Members
You can not earn your way with works but "faith without works is dead". A rather strange analogy I use is that we are born legless twenty yards from the goal line (salvation). When we accept Jesus as Lord we are given a pair of legs. We still have to walk that twenty yards (i.e. walk in His footsteps). We may stumble but as long as we keep trying (as Christ said "enduring to the end") we know we have salvation. We can not "earn" the legs given us for this walk - faith does that. God just asks that we use the legs he gave us and not be a couch potato.

I understand what you are saying - true faith will result in good works. However, the verse about enduring to the end to be saved is not referring to salvation from sin - but from dying. The context is during the tribulation, and the verse is speaking to believers - those already saved. Jesus tells them if they are faithful and endure to the end (of the Tribulation), He will physically deliver them (ie. they will not die) - they are already saved from their sins.

For the record, saved/salvation means delivered/deliverance - the context determines what they are delivered from. It is a good word study to see how this verse is used throughout the Bible.

For example, this is referring to deliverance from enemies - not from sins:

Psalms 18:3 I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies.

Saved from their sickness and dying:

James 5:15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

Saved from problems in childbearing:

1 Timothy 2:15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

Saved from indwelling sins (he is speaking here to believers - those already saved from sins - see verse 18):

James 1:21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I John 1:9 says, "If we confess our sins, then He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness." Confession of sins means acknowledging our sins to God and asking for forgiveness of those sins. It also means forsaking of sins. But if we sin, I John 2:1 says, "My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the Righteous." Praise the Lord for His forgiveness!

:bonk::bonk::bonk: :bonK:

• Members

Psalm 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.

Did you ever notice the significance of east from the west as oppossed to north from the south?

If you travel north until you reach the north pole your next step will be south. Like wise at the south pole your next step will be north. North and south meet at the poles. But where does east and west meet? How far west must you travel before you start travelling east? They dont meet and you cant travel west until you start travelling east.

Thats just how far God has removed our sins. :pray

• 4 weeks later...
What does God do with our sins when we are saved? Please use scripture reference.

God purifies us of our sins when we are saved. Because no sin exists in Heaven.

"Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life. (Revelation 21:27)

Here we can see how we are purified of sin after death, that is assuming we are saved.

"These have come so that your faith--of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire--may be proved genuine and may result in praise" (1 Peter 1:7)

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Psalm 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.

Did you ever notice the significance of east from the west as oppossed to north from the south?

If you travel north until you reach the north pole your next step will be south. Like wise at the south pole your next step will be north. North and south meet at the poles. But where does east and west meet? How far west must you travel before you start travelling east? They dont meet and you cant travel west until you start travelling east.

Thats just how far God has removed our sins. :pray

Nice one. :thumb Yes God will remove us of our sins.

• Members

Mr. Caulfield, please quote from the King James Bible in your posts on these boards. If you do not have a Bible program, there is a convenient link at the top of each page that you can enter the references needed into, then copy/paste in your posts.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Many Christians are confused by this . . . because it is confusing.

The holiness of God cannot allow him to simply forgive sin. Blow it off. Forget about it. Well, if you're sincerely sorry . . .

God's holiness can only be satisfied by a payment for sin. And the only acceptable payment is the sinner's death. So it is a universal dilemma we all find ourselves in: I am a sinner. The only acceptable payment is the blood of my own death. Then it is an eternal death.

The cross of Calvary is the only provision we have. The death of God Himself (in human form) is eternally sufficient. My sins are paid for. They aren't just forgiven, as if brushed aside by God's flexible standards. No, my sins are paid for. I have eternal life because the death of Jesus paid for my sin. My sin no longer serves to condemn me before the Holy Court.

I'm no less guilty. I still sin. My daily relationship is affected, but not my eternal salvation.