• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lettheredeemedsayso

What Happens to a Believers Sin?

I believe that when a Believer confesses sin to Jesus Christ, God forgives our sins - they are no more remembered.

1 John 1
4 And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.
5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another

Psalm 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, [so] far hath he removed our transgressions from us

Micah 7:19 He will turn again, he will have compassion upon us; he will subdue our iniquities; and thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea.
Romans 4:7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.
Hebrews 8:12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.
Hebrews 10:17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

He removes them as far from us as possible. He buries them in the sea.

If he remembers our sin and iniquities no more, then by inference he has wiped them out.

Hmmm, what about this one? Inference again, perhaps.

Exodus 32:32 Yet now, if thou wilt forgive their sin--; and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of thy book which thou hast written

Found this one:

Job 14:17 My transgression is sealed up in a bag, and thou sewest up mine iniquity.

And I'm still thinking

What does God do with our sins when we are saved? Please use scripture reference.

1 Peter 2:24 - Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

Our sins were nailed to the cross! :ideas:

See also Colossians 2:14 and 2 Corinthians 5:21. :tum

Love,
Madeline

Colossians 2
14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

2 Corinthians 5
21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

I have been around people who mistook those verses to mean that once they were saved then that meant that they had no more sin in their lives. They felt that all of their sins, past, present and future, were nailed on the cross - giving them the license they needed to live their lives in what ever manner that pleased them because EVERY SIN was covered. I think those verses only mean that our past sins our covered. Every sin that is committed after our salvation (we are only human beings, after all) must be confessed as well. I do not think that we can lose our salvation, or be cast into hell for committing sins after we have received Christ, but I do think that continued living in sin hurts our relationship with Christ and harms our personal testimony here on Earth.

1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth

Three aspects of Paul's concept of imputation are seen in 2 Corinthians 5:21. God imputes not iniquity (cf. Ps. 32:2). then He imputes sin to Christ, the spotless Lamb of God (cf. Jn. 1:29; 1 Pet. 1:19). Finally, God imputes the righteousness of Christ to the sinner's account. This truth may not be viewed from the side of justification, whereby the sinner is declared righteous based on the merits of Jesus Christ (cf. Rom. 3:24,25), or it may also be viewed from the side of sanctification, wherein the righteousness of Christ is applied daily. Does this passage teach a license to sin? no siree bob! People need to be careful how they misinterpret scripture because such can turn the Grace of God into lasciviousness (Jude 1:4). And whosoever turns the Grace of God into lasciviousness have never been born again.

1 John 3:6,8 - Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

1 John 5:18 - We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

Love,
Madeline

Three aspects of Paul's concept of imputation are seen in 2 Corinthians 5:21. God imputes not iniquity (cf. Ps. 32:2). then He imputes sin to Christ' date=' the spotless Lamb of God (cf. Jn. 1:29; 1 Pet. 1:19). Finally, God imputes the righteousness of Christ to the sinner's account. This truth may not be viewed from the side of justification, whereby the sinner is declared righteous based on the merits of Jesus Christ (cf. Rom. 3:24,25), or it may also be viewed from the side of sanctification, wherein [b']the righteousness of Christ is applied daily. Does this passage teach a license to sin? no siree bob! People need to be careful how they misinterpret scripture because such can turn the Grace of God into lasciviousness (Jude 1:4). And whosoever turns the Grace of God into lasciviousness have never been born again.

1 John 3:6,8 - Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

1 John 5:18 - We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

Love,
Madeline

Madeline, I meant what does the Lord do with our sin the moment that we are saved. What you have posted is written to believers.

I have added a few more scriptures:

Psalm 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.

Isaiah 38:17 Behold, for peace I had great bitterness

Madeline' date=' I meant what does the Lord do with our sin the moment that we are saved. What you have posted is written to believers.[/quote']

:puzzled: You are a "believer" the moment you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in your heart that God hath raised him from the dead.

Excellant!!

Madeline, I have a question that may or may not be a little food for thought for ya. In the scripture that you posted from I John. Do you think the reason that God says that we don't sin is because all our sin is already under the blood? Christ blood covered our sins past, present, future. Just curious what you think about this? The reason that I brought this up is because in I John 2:1 goes on to say but if we sin we have an advocate Christ Jesus the righteous. Could that be because our sins had already been laid on Him?

Excellant!!

Madeline, I have a question that may or may not be a little food for thought for ya. In the scripture that you posted from I John. Do you think the reason that God says that we don't sin is because all our sin is already under the blood? Christ blood covered our sins past, present, future. Just curious what you think about this? The reason that I brought this up is because in I John 2:1 goes on to say but if we sin we have an advocate Christ Jesus the righteous. Could that be because our sins had already been laid on Him?

Where in the scriptures does it say that we do not commit sin? I agree that Christ's blood covers our sin, but we do not have a "God Card" that tells us we can get out for free when we commit sin.

If it were true that Christians do not commit sins, then why would Paul write to the contrary?

Romans Chapter 7
14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more

I don't know anything about the "God card" but scripture teaches us Christ died once and for all. All our sin is under the blood. Past, present, and forever. That is why God warns us about spurning the grace of God.

One year Bill Rice preached at our conference. He preached (as usual) a really good message. It's been a long time ago, but one of the things he said has stuck with me. He took us to the passage in 1 John 5:18 and explained it like this. He said (not 100%) take for example the Rice family. When he was a child, maybe he and some friends were throwing rocks. His dad drives by and says, "Bill, Rice's don't throw rocks." Now, did that mean he wasn't a Rice because he threw them? No, his dad was telling him NOT to throw rocks because he WAS a Rice. In this same manner, God is telling us that we are not to commit willful sin.

One year Bill Rice preached at our conference. He preached (as usual) a really good message. It's been a long time ago' date=' but one of the things he said has stuck with me. He took us to the passage in 1 John 5:18 and explained it like this. He said (not 100%) take for example the Rice family. When he was a child, maybe he and some friends were throwing rocks. His dad drives by and says, "Bill, Rice's don't throw rocks." Now, did that mean he wasn't a Rice because he threw them? No, his dad was telling him NOT to throw rocks because he WAS a Rice. In this same manner, God is telling us that we are not to commit [u']willful sin.

:amen: That's a good anology - can I use that one?

Just a thought. I would be careful is saying that salvation is achieved just because you believe. As Paul points out even satan and his minions believe who Jesus is. In fact they know it first hand. The big difference is that they do not accept Jesus as Lord of their life.

Another big difference is that satan and his minions do not accept that breaking God's Laws is sin and hence do not seek forgiveness. We, as followers of Jesus, accept that breaking God's Laws is sin, that we are sinners, and we seek forgiveness when we fall short.

Jesus died so that we "could" be saved. When we accept Him as Lord of our life all our past sins are forgiven. As well as any future sins - if we continue confessing Him as our Lord by seeking Him to intercede for us with the Father (God).

You can not earn your way with works but "faith without works is dead". A rather strange analogy I use is that we are born legless twenty yards from the goal line (salvation). When we accept Jesus as Lord we are given a pair of legs. We still have to walk that twenty yards (i.e. walk in His footsteps). We may stumble but as long as we keep trying (as Christ said "enduring to the end") we know we have salvation. We can not "earn" the legs given us for this walk - faith does that. God just asks that we use the legs he gave us and not be a couch potato.

Your Brother in Christ
"If you want to know what I believe - don't ask me until you have watched me. It helps me know how I'm really doing!"

You can not earn your way with works but "faith without works is dead". A rather strange analogy I use is that we are born legless twenty yards from the goal line (salvation). When we accept Jesus as Lord we are given a pair of legs. We still have to walk that twenty yards (i.e. walk in His footsteps). We may stumble but as long as we keep trying (as Christ said "enduring to the end") we know we have salvation. We can not "earn" the legs given us for this walk - faith does that. God just asks that we use the legs he gave us and not be a couch potato.

I understand what you are saying - true faith will result in good works. However, the verse about enduring to the end to be saved is not referring to salvation from sin - but from dying. The context is during the tribulation, and the verse is speaking to believers - those already saved. Jesus tells them if they are faithful and endure to the end (of the Tribulation), He will physically deliver them (ie. they will not die) - they are already saved from their sins.

For the record, saved/salvation means delivered/deliverance - the context determines what they are delivered from. It is a good word study to see how this verse is used throughout the Bible.

For example, this is referring to deliverance from enemies - not from sins:

Psalms 18:3 I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies.

Saved from their sickness and dying:

James 5:15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

Saved from problems in childbearing:

1 Timothy 2:15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

Saved from indwelling sins (he is speaking here to believers - those already saved from sins - see verse 18):

James 1:21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.

I John 1:9 says, "If we confess our sins, then He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness." Confession of sins means acknowledging our sins to God and asking for forgiveness of those sins. It also means forsaking of sins. But if we sin, I John 2:1 says, "My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the Righteous." Praise the Lord for His forgiveness!

:bonk::bonk::bonk: :bonK:

Psalm 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.

Did you ever notice the significance of east from the west as oppossed to north from the south?

If you travel north until you reach the north pole your next step will be south. Like wise at the south pole your next step will be north. North and south meet at the poles. But where does east and west meet? How far west must you travel before you start travelling east? They dont meet and you cant travel west until you start travelling east.

Thats just how far God has removed our sins. :pray

Guest Guest
What does God do with our sins when we are saved? Please use scripture reference.

God purifies us of our sins when we are saved. Because no sin exists in Heaven.

"Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life. (Revelation 21:27)

Here we can see how we are purified of sin after death, that is assuming we are saved.

"These have come so that your faith--of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire--may be proved genuine and may result in praise" (1 Peter 1:7)

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Guest Guest

Did you ever notice the significance of east from the west as oppossed to north from the south?

If you travel north until you reach the north pole your next step will be south. Like wise at the south pole your next step will be north. North and south meet at the poles. But where does east and west meet? How far west must you travel before you start travelling east? They dont meet and you cant travel west until you start travelling east.

Thats just how far God has removed our sins. :pray

Nice one. :thumb Yes God will remove us of our sins.

Article Categories

About Us

Since 2001, Online Baptist has been an Independent Baptist website, and we exclusively use the King James Version of the Bible. We pride ourselves on a community that uplifts the Lord.

Contact Us

You can contact us using the following link. Contact Us or for questions regarding this website please contact @pastormatt or email James Foley at jfoley@sisqtel.net

Android App

Online Baptist has a custom App for all android users. You can download it from the Google Play store or click the following icon.