• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What Happens to a Believers Sin?

• Members

I believe that when a Believer confesses sin to Jesus Christ, God forgives our sins - they are no more remembered.

1 John 1
4 And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.
5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another

• Members

Psalm 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, [so] far hath he removed our transgressions from us

Micah 7:19 He will turn again, he will have compassion upon us; he will subdue our iniquities; and thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea.
Romans 4:7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.
Hebrews 8:12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.
Hebrews 10:17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

He removes them as far from us as possible. He buries them in the sea.

If he remembers our sin and iniquities no more, then by inference he has wiped them out.

• Members

Hmmm, what about this one? Inference again, perhaps.

Exodus 32:32 Yet now, if thou wilt forgive their sin--; and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of thy book which thou hast written

Found this one:

Job 14:17 My transgression is sealed up in a bag, and thou sewest up mine iniquity.

And I'm still thinking

• Members
What does God do with our sins when we are saved? Please use scripture reference.

1 Peter 2:24 - Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

Our sins were nailed to the cross! :ideas:

See also Colossians 2:14 and 2 Corinthians 5:21. :tum

Love,
Madeline

• Members

Colossians 2
14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

2 Corinthians 5
21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

I have been around people who mistook those verses to mean that once they were saved then that meant that they had no more sin in their lives. They felt that all of their sins, past, present and future, were nailed on the cross - giving them the license they needed to live their lives in what ever manner that pleased them because EVERY SIN was covered. I think those verses only mean that our past sins our covered. Every sin that is committed after our salvation (we are only human beings, after all) must be confessed as well. I do not think that we can lose our salvation, or be cast into hell for committing sins after we have received Christ, but I do think that continued living in sin hurts our relationship with Christ and harms our personal testimony here on Earth.

1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth

• Members

Three aspects of Paul's concept of imputation are seen in 2 Corinthians 5:21. God imputes not iniquity (cf. Ps. 32:2). then He imputes sin to Christ, the spotless Lamb of God (cf. Jn. 1:29; 1 Pet. 1:19). Finally, God imputes the righteousness of Christ to the sinner's account. This truth may not be viewed from the side of justification, whereby the sinner is declared righteous based on the merits of Jesus Christ (cf. Rom. 3:24,25), or it may also be viewed from the side of sanctification, wherein the righteousness of Christ is applied daily. Does this passage teach a license to sin? no siree bob! People need to be careful how they misinterpret scripture because such can turn the Grace of God into lasciviousness (Jude 1:4). And whosoever turns the Grace of God into lasciviousness have never been born again.

1 John 3:6,8 - Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

1 John 5:18 - We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

Love,
Madeline

• Members
Three aspects of Paul's concept of imputation are seen in 2 Corinthians 5:21. God imputes not iniquity (cf. Ps. 32:2). then He imputes sin to Christ' date=' the spotless Lamb of God (cf. Jn. 1:29; 1 Pet. 1:19). Finally, God imputes the righteousness of Christ to the sinner's account. This truth may not be viewed from the side of justification, whereby the sinner is declared righteous based on the merits of Jesus Christ (cf. Rom. 3:24,25), or it may also be viewed from the side of sanctification, wherein [b']the righteousness of Christ is applied daily. Does this passage teach a license to sin? no siree bob! People need to be careful how they misinterpret scripture because such can turn the Grace of God into lasciviousness (Jude 1:4). And whosoever turns the Grace of God into lasciviousness have never been born again.

1 John 3:6,8 - Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

1 John 5:18 - We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

Love,
Madeline

• Members

Madeline, I meant what does the Lord do with our sin the moment that we are saved. What you have posted is written to believers.

I have added a few more scriptures:

Psalm 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.

Isaiah 38:17 Behold, for peace I had great bitterness

• Members
Madeline' date=' I meant what does the Lord do with our sin the moment that we are saved. What you have posted is written to believers.[/quote']

:puzzled: You are a "believer" the moment you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in your heart that God hath raised him from the dead.

• Members

Excellant!!

Madeline, I have a question that may or may not be a little food for thought for ya. In the scripture that you posted from I John. Do you think the reason that God says that we don't sin is because all our sin is already under the blood? Christ blood covered our sins past, present, future. Just curious what you think about this? The reason that I brought this up is because in I John 2:1 goes on to say but if we sin we have an advocate Christ Jesus the righteous. Could that be because our sins had already been laid on Him?

• Members
Excellant!!

Madeline, I have a question that may or may not be a little food for thought for ya. In the scripture that you posted from I John. Do you think the reason that God says that we don't sin is because all our sin is already under the blood? Christ blood covered our sins past, present, future. Just curious what you think about this? The reason that I brought this up is because in I John 2:1 goes on to say but if we sin we have an advocate Christ Jesus the righteous. Could that be because our sins had already been laid on Him?

Where in the scriptures does it say that we do not commit sin? I agree that Christ's blood covers our sin, but we do not have a "God Card" that tells us we can get out for free when we commit sin.

If it were true that Christians do not commit sins, then why would Paul write to the contrary?

Romans Chapter 7
14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more

• Members

I don't know anything about the "God card" but scripture teaches us Christ died once and for all. All our sin is under the blood. Past, present, and forever. That is why God warns us about spurning the grace of God.