• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Secret faults or secret sins

• Members

Okay that wasn't very clearly worded.

What do you consider to be secret sin?

I am working with someone whose pastor seems to think that any sin not brought to him is secret sin and wrong, regardless of the forgiveness the sinner may have received from Christ. (This smacks of Catholicism, but it's a Fundamental Baptist church.)

I need clarification to make sure I'm right, and Scripture for my side which says that secret sin is only sin if it continues in secret or remains unconfessed (as with David and Bathsheeba.)

• Members

Psalm 32:5 I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah.

1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another

• Administrators

I would add 1 Tim. 2:5 to the mix: "There is one God, and one mediator between God and man, the man Christ Jesus..."

There are times when a person should talk with their pastor about sins, if they have a stronghold in their lives that they just cannot shake - accountability is a good thing. But there is nothing in scripture to indicate that all sins must be confessed to the pastor. IM4G posted Psalm 32:5 - a very good proof text for that.

There is the verse in the NT about confessing your faults one to another, but that isn't specifying pastors as the recipients of all confessions of sins.

Here is something on secret sins by Spurgeon:
http://www.spurgeon.org/sermons/0116.htm

And more on presumptuous sins:
http://www.spurgeon.org/sermons/0135.htm

Hope this helps a wee bit.

• Members

Gal 6:1 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.
Gal 6:2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.

Jam 5:16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

I guess if the preacher wants to confess his, I'll confess mine!

Finding a confidant however can be very helpful and allow one to get on the road to right with God.

God bless,

Calvary

• Members
Is it sin that has remained unconfessed or sin that one continues in unbeknownst to any but God?

I think its both.
Thanks, Happy, for that link to Spugeon's message on Secret Sins. It was lengthy, but well worth the read. No wonder Paul told believers to examine themselves.