• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Hello from Don Singleton

• Members

I came here after reading

I finally found a board that actually has Christians acting like Christians. I was leery at first, only joining it because the board owner had installed two of my scripts (phpBible.org and SpelChek).
on Danny Carlton's blog.

I just wanted to see Christians acting like Christians. You see that so seldom these days, even in churches, and since I am now disabled and homebound, I can't even go to church any more. God is currently giving me an appreciation of what Job went through, but thanks to some friends that help me I have formed HelpingTulsa to refurbish computers to then be donated to schools, churches, non-profit agencies, Senior Citizen Centers, Tulsa Housing Authority facilities, and HUD Section 8 facilities.

I don't know whether the owners of this forum are interest or whether they would have the capability to do it, but I spent the time to generate graphics for 35 bible verses that I use with a CGI Script on a server HelpingTulsa owns and allows the groups we provide refurbished computers to, to have a free website to promote their good work, and then with a random Bible verse at the bottom of the page, to promote the real source of the computers. My cgi script also promotes (20% of the time) the ISP hosting my server for free, and (10% of the time) our non-profit, but someone might want to take the 35 graphic files and come up with something Christians could put on their webssites or blogs, where the bible verse changed with each refresh of the page.

• Members
I do love when Christians turn their trials into blessings for others. No better way to bless the Lord.

What alternatives are there? Crying and yelling don't change things. Prayer for healing so that I can do more is answered by "Not Yet",
All prayers are answered.
  • Sometimes the answer is yes
  • Sometimes the answer is no
  • Sometimes the answer is not yet[/list:u]
and the rider on the pale horse is busy elsewhere.

• Members

Hi Don,
Glad you found us. Like any family we have our disagreements, :pillowfight: but most of the time its a pretty nice place to visit. Sorry to hear that you are home bound and can't get to church. Have you heard of SermonAudio.com? You can listen to sermons from churches all over on there. My church, Calvary Baptist of Albany, NY broadcasts our morning service on that site. You might want to check it out. Hope you enjoy the fellowship here.

• Members
Have you heard of SermonAudio.com? You can listen to sermons from churches all over on there

I have a book (actually I have several, but I prefer the KJV translation one best) with plenty of sermons. And I have the volunteers that assist me in HelpingTulsa. I would rather watch a sermon (one of my volunteers spending his time to benefit others), than listen to one, any day.

When I was able to go to church, I did so to be around other Christians, not to listen to the guy up at the front twisting God's word and making it the preacher's word.

• Members

I also go to church to be with other believers, but also to hear the preaching of God's Word. I'm sure there are many men who have twisted the Word from the pulpit, but not all of them do. I guess I've been blessed to have pastors who have been gifted Bible teachers, but also acknowledge that they are just human and still learning and encourage their people to search the scriptures for themselves and not just take the preacher's word for it. All through the Bible, we read of men that God raised up to bring His message to His people; I believe He's still doing that today.

• Members
I'm sure there are many men who have twisted the Word from the pulpit' date=' but not all of them do.[/quote']I feel sure you are right, I just was unlucky enough to run across several of the others.

I was brought up in a Baptist church, but one day the pastor said something that I did not believe was consistent with the Bible. I went home and verified that I was right about what I thought it said, I told my parents that next Sunday I was going to confront Brother Blunt with what I had found, and they said "oh, no, you can't do that." They were too worried about what their friends might think if I disagreed with the pastor. I could not just stay home of course, and the only church in walking distance was a Methodist church, so until I went off to college I became a Methodist (they seem to have almost as much pomp and ceremony as the Catholic Church, for those of you who have never been to one).

I really regret that they would not let me confront Brother Blunt with what I found. I feel sure he would have been quite able to hold his own in a theological discussion with a teenager (after all, I did not have the background Jesus did when he debated the Jewish Rabbis), and I suspect he would have actually enjoyed the confrontation, because it would have shown that someone was actually listening to what he said.

And it could have avoided creating someone that went from church to church trying to find a good home, then began going less and less, and only returned to a strong position of faith when he was too disabled to really go to a church. Fortunately God, or Al Gore, or someone created the internet, which as Jeus said, goes into all the world.