• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Making my reading plans for my 5th grader and

• Members

the A Beka reading isn't going to be enough, even with extra activities added in to lengthen it.

Have any of you ever made up a reading list of books that you had your child read that you could share? She's game to read just about any reading level 5th and up, but age-appropriateness becomes a problem at a certain point.

(She asked to be assigned 2 book reports a month and I'm not against that :smug: )

• Administrators

Well, I don't remember all the books my son read in 5th grade...but I do remember some that I enjoyed.

Little Women

Little Men

Jo's Boys

Five Little Peppers and How They Grew

Five Little Peppers All Grown Up

I used the eclectic science readers from Christian Liberty Academy when I taught Joshua. They were good. They are graded, but he read on past his level and enjoyed them. Also, the original McGuffey readers have some very enjoyable stories in them for all ages.

The Heroes of the Faith series is good. http://www.prayerfoundation.org/books/b ... _index.htm

• Members

I have a boy who just finished 5th and a girl who just finished 6th and they have enjoyed reading: (** my daughters favorites)

Understood Betsy (Dorothy Canfield) **
Robin Hood (Howard Pyle)
Heidi (Johanna Spyri) **
Little House Series **
Hittite Warrior (Joanne Williamson)
The Golden Goblet (Eloise Jarvis McGraw)
Tirzah (Lucille Travis) **
The Door in the Wall (Marguerite De Angeli) **
The Jungle Books (1 and 2- hard to find unabridged with both) Rudyard Kipling
Kidnapped (Robert Louis Stevenson)
Kim (Rudyard Kipling) **
Men of Iron (Howard Pyle)
Caddie Woodlawn (Carol Ryrie Brink) **
King of the Wind (Marguerite Henry) **
Robinson Crusoe (Daniel Dufoe)
Black Beauty (Anna Sewell) **
Gentle Ben (Walt Morley) **
Calico Captive (Elizabeth George Speare) **
Wild Animals I have Known (Ernest Thompson Seton)
Little Women (Loiusa May Alcott) **
Anne of Green Gables (Lucy Maud Montgomery) **
The Story of My Life (Helen Keller) **
A Christmas Carol (Charles Dickens)
Oliver Twist (Charles Dickens) **
Where the Red Fern Grows (Wilson Rawls) **
My daughter also really really liked Our Island Story by H.E Marshall

If it was basal readers you want then these would probably not be what you were looking for? Not sure there, we don't use 'readers' but rather just literature.

Anyway I hope it gives at least a few ideas. :wink

• Members
If it was basal readers you want then these would probably not be what you were looking for? Not sure there, we don't use 'readers' but rather just literature.

No, I won't need just readers. We can read anything. It's just that she's a big reader and so I will need to keep her going for 40 weeks or so. I know that I can count any book time she spends during the day, but the books I read in 5th grade and the books I would approve for her are totally different creatures, kwim?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

(not sure if I can post here since I do not have kids yet, but I will be homeschooling them so you can ignore this if you want).

I was in 5th grade quite a few years ago but this is what I remember reading both in school and for my free time:

**Anything by L.M. Montgomery (Anne of Green Gables, Chronicles of Avonlea, the Emily Series, etc).
**The Little House on the Prairie Series
**Little Women, Eight Cousins, Rose in Bloom, and others by Louisa May Alcott
**Wind in the Willows
**There are a lot of the classics that come in 5th grade form, so you could look around for those. I know we did Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, Pilgrims Progress, and a Jane Austin novel
**You can always get nonfiction books like biographies.
**Freckle Juice and then James and the Giant Peach
**I loved the Box Car Children and the Babysitters Club.
**If she's into horses and other farm animals, one of my favorite series was The Saddle Club, which is just about 4 young girls who met at a riding stable and their friendship and bonding centered around horseback riding.
**My sister loved Nancy Drew (not me, I hated it) so you could try some of those.
**I read The Giver in 5th grade, but if your kids are extremely sensitive I wouldn't have them read this.
**Number the Stars if you want to do a unit on the Holocaust
**Ann Rinaldi was one of my favorite authors in 5th grade, she wrote a ton of very good historical fiction for kids. Hang a Thousand Trees with Ribbons is about the slavery issue in early America (and gives a true life biography of Phillis Wheatley)... Then there are others on the American Revolution, the Salem Witch Trials, the Civil War, early America... I really recommend her because she keeps a lot of historical accuracy in her writing while making it interesting to young children.
**Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell
**Where the red Fern Grows
**Old Yeller
**Black Beauty
**Peter Pan
**The Little Princess
**The Secret Garden
**Heidi
**The Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth George Speare
**The Black Stallion by Walter Farley
**Shiloh by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
**I read the Adventures of Tom Sawyer in 5th grade so if your child is a good reader you can always try classics like this.
**Anything by Beverly Cleary
**Frindle by Eric Clemens is a silly book about a boy who invents a new word (frindle) for pen. I've never read this book myself but every 5th grader I know absolutely loves it.

Ok I could go on and on forever. I have always been a huge reader so if you need anymore books for any grade level, just let me know.

• 3 weeks later...
I have a boy who just finished 5th and a girl who just finished 6th and they have enjoyed reading: (** my daughters favorites)

Understood Betsy (Dorothy Canfield) **
Robin Hood (Howard Pyle)
Heidi (Johanna Spyri) **
Little House Series **
Hittite Warrior (Joanne Williamson)
The Golden Goblet (Eloise Jarvis McGraw)
Tirzah (Lucille Travis) **
The Door in the Wall (Marguerite De Angeli) **
The Jungle Books (1 and 2- hard to find unabridged with both) Rudyard Kipling
Kidnapped (Robert Louis Stevenson)
Kim (Rudyard Kipling) **
Men of Iron (Howard Pyle)
Caddie Woodlawn (Carol Ryrie Brink) **
King of the Wind (Marguerite Henry) **
Robinson Crusoe (Daniel Dufoe)
Black Beauty (Anna Sewell) **
Gentle Ben (Walt Morley) **
Calico Captive (Elizabeth George Speare) **
Wild Animals I have Known (Ernest Thompson Seton)
Little Women (Loiusa May Alcott) **
Anne of Green Gables (Lucy Maud Montgomery) **
The Story of My Life (Helen Keller) **
A Christmas Carol (Charles Dickens)
Oliver Twist (Charles Dickens) **
Where the Red Fern Grows (Wilson Rawls) **
My daughter also really really liked Our Island Story by H.E Marshall

Anyway I hope it gives at least a few ideas. :wink

Oohhh! These are great recommendations! Check out http://www.amblesideonline.com or http://oldfashionededucation.com/ for more. I am sure these are mentioned on other threads... I posted the Ambleside link in one yesterday.

Jen