• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Do you own a television?

Do you own a television?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a television?

• Yes, and we watch regularly (approved programs)
    • Yes, but we don't watch often
    • Yes, but we only watch occassional videos
    • No

• Members

I mostlywatch the Christian channel for movies. I also enjoy the History Channel and the Discovery Channel. I'm rather a history and science buff. Interestingly enough they often have programs where satan uses his usual tactic of many facts with a few errors thrown in to mislead the uninformed. I watch these things for the challenge of discerning the falsehoods - it often compels me to reach for the Word so I can verify in my own mind the "twisted" part. It helps when I have discussions with none believers. They often "quote" the Bible from what they heard on TV. The sickening Da Vinci Code is a prime example. TV is a good way to keep abreast of the current weapons in satans arsenal. Besides being a Christian I am a veteran of two branches of the US military. As we used to say - know thy enemy.

Wayne

• Administrators

We have about 5 TV's that gets watched daily by just about all our family, and it is Satellite TV too. BJU Satellite that is. :lol:

That is the price you pay when you use the Satellite school system for your family. :wink With the rabbit ears we pick up a few NY stations so I can catch the news. :thumb

Has anyone seen the picture of my BJU dish?

Guest Guest

Have one but have really cut back on it. I'm thinking of ditching it altogether but I still like the History Channel, Military Channel, Fox News (sometimes) and I get the football package during football season.

Wil

• Members

I have one single 20 in television that I bought for $25 about 5 years ago at a thrift store. I have standard basic cable as part of my DSL bundled service, but I mostly watch it for news and weather reports (important during hurricane season!). I watch quite a bit (one or two hours daily) of either HGTV, History Channel, Discovery Channel, and the occasional John Wayne Western on AMC (I am also a big fan of Gary Cooper, Jimmy Stewart, Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly). My children like to watch programs on TV Land like Little House on the Prairie and The Waltons, the Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, plus the Andy Griffith Show is a big favorite!

For Christmas we bought a DVD/VCR combo for $50 and now we can watch selected movies that we buy at the Flea Market for $1 a piece.

My sister thinks we are very culturally deprived. She has four giant screen televisions that take up a whole entire wall in each room of her house - turning her house into a virtual multiplex theater, complete with surround sound speaker systems. They have the premium cable system that includes about 300+ channels to watch, not to mention all of the latest DVDs to watch - her family would be the envy of Block Buster videos. My niece is totally hooked on all things Harry Potter, and has all of the books as soon as they are printed, and the first run of the Harry Potter Movies on the very day they are released.

One thing I have noticed about my sister's family is that even though they all live in the same house together, they never actually DO anything together as a family - which I think is sad. I do not believe I am the one who is deprived - they are, because they place more value in the boob tube than they do each other.

• Members

I have but one 47" Philips LCD HD TV which I use to watch the news, the Discovery channel, and the History channel (and some DVD's). I believe television is like any other technology: it can be used for good or evil. There is certainly a lot of sin and evil on TV, but we don't have to watch it. If a person has an addiction to TV or to certain detrimental shows and finds him/her doing little else but watching the tube or cant' keep from watching what they know is not good for them, then it might indeed be a good idea to go "cold turkey" at least for a while. Many people in this country and I suppose in the world waste a good deal of time on TV, but that is no more sinful than wasting time on other vain pursuits (of which the world is full). I can see no spiritual difference between watching the news on TV, or listening to it on the radio, or reading it in the newspaper for that matter. The quality and the depth and the slant may be different, but I really think that outlawing television is throwing the baby out with the bath water. One could make exactly the same argument about the Internet (one of the best sources for news now). Without the Internet, this ministry would not exist, and of course there are many pastors and teachers who use various forms of mass media to get their messages out. Even the Amish use technology, just not 20-21st century technology in many cases.

Love,
Madeline