• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Baptist Briders.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
I'm not one and don't know of any here.

Someone who can be described as a "Baptist Brider" cannot simultaneously be described as in independent fundamental Baptist. :thumb

LOL, I think you might be surprised as to who all is considered an IFB now-days.

• Members

Well, I think there is an interesting discussion over in another thread that is discussing "true church" and local church vs. universal church that is pretty interesting.

Seems to be some minor BBer leanings over there... but maybe I am reading them wrong.

• Members

IIRC, Jerry808 is a Landmark (related to BB) guy. I do not want to speak for him, but he has said so openly in the past. I think he is the only one.

I also would say there is truth to what people say about the movement and some false. My brother went to Texas Baptist church(Bob Grey, the texas one). As a "brider" he was re-baptized so that he was baptized by a baptist, etc. etc. He is no longer in it, and we have not had many conversations about it. Watching from a distance, it seems they have troubles.

• Members

LOL, I think you might be surprised as to who all is considered an IFB now-days.

I should have added the word "accurately" before "described."

Many people claim to be IFB, but the question is ARE they? (Again emphasis on FUNDAMENTAL.)

• Members

Many people claim to be IFB, but the question is ARE they? (Again emphasis on FUNDAMENTAL.)

Excellent point!

When we were looking for a new church home, I checked out some IFB churches that if it wasn't for them using the IFB label, I would have never had any idea they even knew what IFB was!

These "IFB" churches had switched to the NIV, changed their music to a more modern style, greatly lowered their dress code, dropped the idea of separation from working with Catholics, and some even were using Rick Warrens "40 Days" books...etc.

As I've stated before, one must check each church individually to see if they truly stand upon the Word of God and teach, preach and hold to the fundamentals of the faith.

Guest Guest
When we were looking for a new church home, I checked out some IFB churches that if it wasn't for them using the IFB label, I would have never had any idea they even knew what IFB was!

These "IFB" churches had switched to the NIV, changed their music to a more modern style, greatly lowered their dress code, dropped the idea of separation from working with Catholics, and some even were using Rick Warrens "40 Days" books...etc.

As I've stated before, one must check each church individually to see if they truly stand upon the Word of God and teach, preach and hold to the fundamentals of the faith.

Just a note: those things you mentioned, while wrong, are not actually what would be considered "the fundamentals of the faith". Ironically, and at the same time fortunately, they certainly are not part of what would normally be considered a IFB church. When we say IFB that's actually not exactly what we mean. IFB is an accurate description, but technically it is to broad a term for what we usually mean.

• Members

Just a note: those things you mentioned, while wrong, are not actually what would be considered "the fundamentals of the faith". Ironically, and at the same time fortunately, they certainly are not part of what would normally be considered a IFB church. When we say IFB that's actually not exactly what we mean. IFB is an accurate description, but technically it is to broad a term for what we usually mean.

For traditional IFB folks, separation has been considered a fundamental of the faith by most, if not all. Of course, this isn't true with many today.

My point wasn't necessarily that all these changing churches no longer believed the fundamentals, only that one has to check for themselves on all matters before you can know where a church really stands on many things.