• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

I decided we were starting school today. We are going to ease into this since I have no idea what I'm doing.

Why today? We went to the county fair and had a great 45 minute long lesson on parrots. It was very well done and the kids learned a few things.

Homeschooling may turn out to be a lot of fun after all. :thumb

• Members

Way to go!!! :thumb

The first year is the most difficult (not necessarily hard, just figuring things out and the newness and such) but it gets easier and even more fun as time goes on.

We generally "start school" about the same time the local schools resume. That's when we do our main curriculum. However, during the summer months we have our oldest son do a little refresher math to help him remember and improve on his math (he's weakest in math). Sometimes he will do an elective, generally something he enjoys, like one year he did a Health elective and another year Art). During the summer we partake in the library reading program and we make sure the children get worthwhile books and they can write book reports for one book each week during the program. When possible, we take "field trips" (day vacations and such) to historical sites or nature sites and such.

We also "teach" life skills, such as housekeeping, laundry, yard work, garden tending, car maintenance, bicycle repair, general home upkeep, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Way to go!!! :thumb

The first year is the most difficult (not necessarily hard, just figuring things out and the newness and such) but it gets easier and even more fun as time goes on.

We generally "start school" about the same time the local schools resume. That's when we do our main curriculum. However, during the summer months we have our oldest son do a little refresher math to help him remember and improve on his math (he's weakest in math). Sometimes he will do an elective, generally something he enjoys, like one year he did a Health elective and another year Art). During the summer we partake in the library reading program and we make sure the children get worthwhile books and they can write book reports for one book each week during the program. When possible, we take "field trips" (day vacations and such) to historical sites or nature sites and such.

We also "teach" life skills, such as housekeeping, laundry, yard work, garden tending, car maintenance, bicycle repair, general home upkeep, etc.

John - sounds like our family does things fairly similar. My parents - who are not saved - visited a few weeks ago and called after the visit to tell us how impressed they were with the children and that "they don't need school afterall." :) I know what they mean... despite the way they said it!

Initially they were both very skeptical of our decision.

Jennifer