• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The third commandment

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thank you brother.

The article was very informative though I personally would not have used the word in question. You warned me but my disaappointment came more from the sites affiliation with Calvinism than the article its self. None the less I have book marked it for future perusal.

orvals

• Members

I think there is another vain use of GOD's name that gets over looked alot, I don't think people start out useing it in vain but when they get to the point were every third sentence they speak is God bless this or that I think it becomes a vain repetition because they aren't really praising God. For example when the conversation goes something like "I went to the store the other day and praise God they had just the right spices to make the pie I wanted and praise God it turned out so wonderful and my grandkids just ate it up praise God" and so on. I believe that is vain use.

C

• Members
I think there is another vain use of GOD's name that gets over looked alot, I don't think people start out useing it in vain but when they get to the point were every third sentence they speak is God bless this or that I think it becomes a vain repetition because they aren't really praising God. For example when the conversation goes something like "I went to the store the other day and praise God they had just the right spices to make the pie I wanted and praise God it turned out so wonderful and my grandkids just ate it up praise God" and so on. I believe that is vain use.

C

I hadn't thought of that one. I can see where the vain repetition rue applies.

• Members

Saying "God bless you" everytime someone sneezes is using God's name in vain - vanity, emptiness, without meaning. Using God's name as a profanity (making it profane, common) is using His name in vain - because you don't mean it. You are not REALLY asking Him to damn something; nor are you calling upon Him when you spout out, "Oh my G..." therefore you are using His name in vain. Using His name as a cussword is making His name common, vulgar - therefore certainly would be in vain, as you are not really talking to Him or about Him - you are using His name without meaning, vainly.

• Members
Saying "God bless you" everytime someone sneezes is using God's name in vain - vanity' date=' emptiness, without meaning. Using God's name as a profanity (making it profane, common) is using His name in vain - because you don't mean it. You are not REALLY asking Him to damn something; nor are you calling upon Him when you spout out, "Oh my G..." therefore you are using His name in vain. Using His name as a cussword is making His name common, vulgar - therefore certainly would be in vain, as you are not really talking to Him or about Him - you are using His name without meaning, vainly.[/quote']

Great post Jerry!

I can still remember when the Lord brought some of this to my attention years ago.

Today, I no longer say "God bless you" unless that's what I really mean. That phrase is no longer used as a common response as I once used it.

Along these lines, when the Lord was removing cussing from my speech, I would sometimes say "God bless it" if I kicked my toe, or dropped something. At times, when I first began to use that term, I was really wanting God to bless the situation. However, it quickly became nothing more than a new expletive. Finally, I listened as the Lord pointed out to me that I was misusing His name and that phrase dropped from my speech in that manner.

Sadly, we too often just say things without really thinking about what it is we are saying and what the actual meaning behind what we are saying truly is.

I thank God for His patience with me and teaching me over the years! :amen:

• Members

Do you mean it? Are you really praying for the Lord to bless someone EVERYTIME they sneeze and you say those words? If not, they are in vain. (And, Bless you is just the short form of God bless you.)

• Members

When did "God" become the name for God? The word "god" is a generic word for deity. It's not the name of God. God's name is JHVH(or YHWH, whichever you prefer), and of course: El Shaddai, JHVH Shalom, JHVH Shabbat, Elohim, and many others. But not "god."

• Members

God is one of his names - it is the english translation of Elohim. It is the standard english term for God, related to the German Got (can't remember it is one t or 2). So other languages have related words meaning the same thing. Any english Bible contains the name God for His main name.

• Members
God is one of his names - it is the english translation of Elohim. It is the standard english term for God' date=' related to the German Got (can't remember it is one t or 2). So other languages have related words meaning the same thing. Any english Bible contains the name God for His main name.[/quote']

Yeah...I'm not so sure that a generic word for deity qualifies as taking the NAME of God in vain. YHWH is God's name. Not "God."