• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The third commandment

• Members

Exodus 20:7
Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

Now, we know of a certainty that this is dealing with our words.

But, let's take it to the spirit of the law. Can it mean that our actions can take the name of our Lord in vain as well?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Dwayner, since those who have been here longer and know you better would like to see you ponder your own question I will only add - Think of what the verse actually means and remember the saying, "actions speak louder than words". :wink

Wayne

• Members
Dwayner, since those who have been here longer and know you better would like to see you ponder your own question I will only add - Think of what the verse actually means and remember the saying, "actions speak louder than words". :wink

Wayne

HAHA... you mean longer by a month :wink

That's fine. I'll think about it.

• Members

I thought about how to word this, and decided I would let someone else take the heat. This is one of those areas that I think we messed up a bit. The problem is I do not think that taking the Lord's name in vain has anything to do with cuss words.

The nations to which the Israelites were going had many gods. They were highly superstitious. Their prophets would often use the name of their god in pronouncements. The usage could be in a curse, hex, or even a blessing. They would use the name of their god to give their statements, whatever they may be, authority. To pronounce something in their own name would not have given their words much weight, but to pronounce something in the name of a god meant that people would listen and fear. They may have said, ?In the name of Baal, there will be no rain for 40 days.? Or ?In the name of Marduk, I say that you will win this battle.? This gave the prophet much power and authority. But, as we know, there is no Baal or Marduk. Since this is the case, they did not really make such pronouncement and therefore the words of the prophet had no authority and should neither have been praised or feared.

God was attempting to prevent the Israelites from doing the same thing. God was saying for them not to use His name like the nations used the names of their gods. He did not want them to use His name to invoke false authority behind pronouncements. In essence, God did not want the Israelites to say that He said something that He had not said. This makes sense. God has a reputation to protect. He does not want anyone saying ?Thus sayeth the Lord? if the Lord had not spoken. All of you have experienced this. You have had people say you said something you did not say. This can be very damaging to your character. It is very destructive to your name. Why? Because it makes you out to be something that you are not. How much more important is it for God to protect His character? It is fitting that God would have put this as one of the ten most important commandments as the nation of Israel moved towards Canaan.

What does this mean for us? Well, for starters we understand that the third commandment is certainly not focused on something so trivial as saying ?God d--n it!? The funny thing is that while some people may never think of using that phrase, people all over the Christian religious landscape are breaking the third commandment every day, damaging the Lord?s reputation. ?Thus sayeth the Lord . . .? ?God told me to tell you . . .? ?God says that if you send in this much money, you will be blessed.? I could go on and on, but you get the point. Using the name of the Lord in vain means that you do damage to His reputation and character through false and unsure claims. Think again before you say ?God said . . .? Make sure that He has really said it. If you are unsure, make your statement reflect your uncertianty. Saying ?I think God is telling you to . . .? rather than ?God is telling you to . . .? may not be as authoritative, but it will keep God?s reputation safe and keep you from breaking the third commandment.

So the spirit of that law, as was the original meaning to the Israelites, had more to do with misrepresenting God, then saying his name in a cuss word. I am reminded of the situation the fictional characters of Will Roger's book Happiness was our Reward got into, where the pastor would speak as God's authority. Some extreme pastor's can use their role as authority incorrectly. They attempt to tell people who they should marry, or what job to take, etc. They incorrectly speak for God. That is taking His name in vain.

• Members
I thought about how to word this, and decided I would let someone else take the heat. This is one of those areas that I think we messed up a bit. The problem is I do not think that taking the Lord's name in vain has anything to do with cuss words.

So the spirit of that law, as was the original meaning to the Israelites, had more to do with misrepresenting God, then saying his name in a cuss word. I am reminded of the situation the fictional characters of Will Roger's book Happiness was our Reward got into, where the pastor would speak as God's authority. Some extreme pastor's can use their role as authority incorrectly. They attempt to tell people who they should marry, or what job to take, etc. They incorrectly speak for God. That is taking His name in vain.

Agreed except for saying that God + a cuss word is "trivial"! Using God irreverently, such as "Oh my God" or "God + (cuss word)" is also taking His name in vain.

• Members

Great quote Dwayner. Mind sharing where you got it.

orvals

• Members

Dead on Dwayner - actions speak louder than words:

name = shem
A primitive word (perhaps rather from H7760 through the idea of definite and conspicuous position; compare H8064); an appellation, as a mark or memorial of individuality; by implication honor, authority, character:

Acting as if God's authority doesn't exist, acting in a manner that implies dishonor to God, etc all violate the Third Commandment. :thumb

Wayne

• Members

Christians should know better, that is for sure. I have to believe that their consciences bother them about this somewhat (or else they are in a spiritual where they are not being overly bothered by much of anything). Many Christians who are only lukewarm or otherwise spiritually immature are very happy to loudly proclaim their Christianity - but are they ready to "walk the walk" as they "talk the talk"? In my view, we should do the former and leave it to the Lord to give the appropriate opportunities to do the latter. If we advertise that we belong to Jesus and then act in a way shameful to Him, how have we not undermined our witness and done damage to those looking to us as examples?

Love,
Madeline