• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Witnessing to a Roman Catholic

• Members

I have a very good friend who is a Roman Catholic. She seems to be searching for a better way, and I want to witness to her, but I have no idea what to say. Are there any web sites I could send her to, or that I could go to for help, or can anyone here help me?

• Members

I'm sure Janet and some others have some great websites to share.

What I have found helpful for those Catholics who are open is to point out how the Bible does not say what the Catholic church teaches. This has opened the eyes of many Catholics and brought them to Christ.

For some, I've shown them that we are to pray to God only through Jesus only. Which means no praying to Mary or saints.

Also, the fact we are saved by grace through faith and not by works.

• Members

There are different ways to witness to Catholics. Mostly it depends on what sort of Catholic they are and how deeply indoctrinated/brainwashed they are. If you have a non-practicing Catholic they are much easier to witness to than a Catholic who has been through all of the Catholic Sacraments and 12+ years of parochial school!

Use the simplicity of the Bible, beginning with God's Plan of Salvation, just as you would any other lost sinner. Ask the same question - if you die today will you go to heaven? Most Catholics have no assurance of Salvation - the "Church" does not teach salvation or eternal security, so you begin with that. Remember that Catholics are taught to believe in a work=s based salvation, so they may or may not be ready to accept salvation by grace alone. I do not think you can hit them over the head with a Bible and expect them to swallow the truth on the first go-round either. It takes time and patience, and lots of prayer, and often many years of unlearning the lies they have been taught before someone will come to accept the true saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.

That is why I consider myself a rescued Roman Catholic and not just a redeemed Roman Catholic - God put many many people into my life, time and time again until I was able to really understand what salvation was all about!

• Members

Thank you both for your input. My friend seems really open to learning about things from an IFB perspective. I don't think she is a practicing Catholic. Just to make matters even more complicated, her husband is Lutheran, and she has tried going to his church, but didn't feel that she fit in. I really feel like I'm in over my head here. I know zip about being Catholic or Lutheran! I haven't even been saved all that long(about a year and a half). But I do know that Catholicism is considered a cult, and I know that they pray to Mary instead of God, and I know that's idolatry. I will try my best to help her.

• Members

Just share the Gospel message and share what Christ has done in your life.

If they have questions that you don't have an answer to just tell them you are not sure but you will try to find an answer for them. Whatever questions they may have, likely as not someone here can provide you with an answer.

When I first witnessed to Catholics I didn't know a great deal about the Catholic church, but I found that those not heavily into being a practicing Catholic were very open to the Gospel when they realized that what little they had been taught didn't match what the Bible says.

• Members

John, that makes a lot of sense. Another thing that may help is that she and I are both members of a Christian Ladies' Yahoo group, and I'm pretty sure that she's the only Catholic there. I'm thinking (praying!) that the discussions the other ladies and I have will witness to her also. There are a lot of prayer requests and praise reports that get posted there.

• Members

Having been married to a "lapsed" catholic my first question and suggestion is find out if she has a catholic bible. Remember, besides the Apocrapha it contains the catholic bible has a different set of commandments for the "ten commandments". The catholic church eliminates the 2nd commandment against idols and splits the 10th in two. If she doen't have a true Bible get her one - offer it out of love and friendship. My personal experience led my next step to be pointing out that both their bible and our Bible clearly show that Jesus is the only way to the Father. (John 14:6) May God bless you in this endeavor. :praying

Wayne

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...