• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

juicer question

• Members
Is there anything useful you can do with the pulp that's left over? Like use as thickener in muffins or pancakes or something?

I hate to toss it out, but I don't know what else to do with it.

Feed it to your chickens... if you don't have chickens... get some. Of course then you will find out what real eggs taste like, which will then lead you to wonder what real milk and real meat tastes like...

It's a trap... don't do it.

• Members

With all them dumplings . . . mix it with some juice, freeze it, presto homemade "juice pops". Or . . . mix it with some gelatin . . . dry it, presto homemade fruit roll ups . . . :ideas:

Worth a shot maybe???? I've done it but with fruit that was processed by hand - don't know about a machine.

Wayne

• Members
Is there anything useful you can do with the pulp that's left over? Like use as thickener in muffins or pancakes or something?

I hate to toss it out, but I don't know what else to do with it.

Please understand this is only my own personal opinion:::::::::::

Our bodies were designed to consume the whole food as much as possible. However, certain foods should not have the seeds eaten. Seeds of peaches, apples, certain apricots, and many others contain arsenic. Then there are some fruits and veggies we do not eat the skins. So then except for these exceptions we would do well to consume skin and pulp (e.g. bananas).E.G. Apples, pears, nectarines, plums, grapes, and many other smooth skinned fruits. We throw away a lot of the food value of the fruit if we only consume the juice. The skins of fruits and veggies wherein the skins are edible are very high in iron as well as many other minerals and vitamins. It's for this reason that I prefer to make fruit "butters", rather than ordinary jelly.

Jam:::: made from the whole fruit.

Butter::: made from the puree; skins, yes, but seeds, no.

Jelly::: made from the juice only

• Members

Please understand this is only my own personal opinion:::::::::::

Our bodies were designed to consume the whole food as much as possible. However, certain foods should not have the seeds eaten. Seeds of peaches, apples, certain apricots, and many others contain arsenic. Then there are some fruits and veggies we do not eat the skins. So then except for these exceptions we would do well to consume skin and pulp (e.g. bananas).E.G. Apples, pears, nectarines, plums, grapes, and many other smooth skinned fruits. We throw away a lot of the food value of the fruit if we only consume the juice. The skins of fruits and veggies wherein the skins are edible are very high in iron as well as many other minerals and vitamins. It's for this reason that I prefer to make fruit "butters", rather than ordinary jelly.

Jam:::: made from the whole fruit.

Butter::: made from the puree; skins, yes, but seeds, no.

Jelly::: made from the juice only

Yep, that is what I do. :thumb I make fruit butters instead of jam or jelly. I like to use the whole fruit minus the seeds. When made properly, they are infinitely better than the store-bought stuff and even other homemade jams/jellies.

• Members
Fruit butter is gettin' rarer than hens teeth - ain't had it since I was back down South. Ya shore brought back sum memories. :thumb

You ever make it to North Carolina and we'll gladly give you some strawberry (seedless), blackberry (seedless), apple or any other kind we might have on hand. :thumb

• Members

3 lbs fresh purple plums
3 cups honey
3 ounces lemon juice
3 ounces orange juice
grated rind of 1/2 lemon

Wash the plums and remove the stems. Halve and pit the plums. Put the halved plums in a large saucepan and add enough cold water to half-cover the plums. Cover the saucepan and cook over medium heat for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until the plums are very soft. Remove the saucepan from the heat and cool for 5 minutes. Puree the plums.

Pour the pureed plums back into the saucepan and add the honey, lemon juice, orange juice and lemon rind. Simmer, uncovered over low heat for about 3 hours, or until the mixture is very dark and thick. Pour into hot sterilized 1 pint jars. Seal, cool, and store. :smile

Love,
Madeline

• Members
3 lbs fresh purple plums
3 cups honey
3 ounces lemon juice
3 ounces orange juice
grated rind of 1/2 lemon

Wash the plums and remove the stems. Halve and pit the plums. Put the halved plums in a large saucepan and add enough cold water to half-cover the plums. Cover the saucepan and cook over medium heat for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until the plums are very soft. Remove the saucepan from the heat and cool for 5 minutes. Puree the plums.

Pour the pureed plums back into the saucepan and add the honey, lemon juice, orange juice and lemon rind. Simmer, uncovered over low heat for about 3 hours, or until the mixture is very dark and thick. Pour into hot sterilized 1 pint jars. Seal, cool, and store. :smile

Love,
Madeline

Again, my own personal opinion::::::::

It has been my own experience that fruit flavors are rather fragile and cannot take prolonged heat exposure. It is for this reason that I simmer only as long as it takes to make the fruit soft and fully stewed. This is typically 20 to 30 minutes on low heat. Too much or prolonged heat will render the fruit somewhat tasteless. It will be exceedingly sweet, but practically devoid of flavor. I.E. by comparison with conventional methods. See below:::::::

Then, perform the puree process and use Sure-Jell and follow the procedure inside the box for jam or jelly. I get satisfactory results every time without fail. :thumb :clap: :clap:

• Members
I make fruit butters instead of jam or jelly. I like to use the whole fruit minus the seeds. When made properly' date=' they are infinitely better than the store-bought stuff and even other homemade jams/jellies.[/quote']

My wife and I both thoroughly enjoyed your blackberry fruit butter. We saved the last jar of it last year for the dead of winter and boy oh boy was it ever good!!!!!!!!! :thumb :hungry::drool::clap::clap:

...and,

:amen::amen::amen: A hearty AMEN. :thumb :clap::clap: :clap:

• Members

Mine are like jam w/o the chunks and seeds. My fruit butters are smooth and seedless.

With jam, you have chunks of whole fruit. With jelly, only the juice has been used. But with fruit butter, I put the whole fruit through a hand-cranked strainer that sends all the seeds and skin one way and the good pulp another. So what I end up with is between jam and jelly. It isn't chunky fruit but it isn't just juice either.

Then when I follow the Sure-jell recipe which has a very small cooking time, I get maximum color and flavor. Yummy stuff!