• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The worlds view of "christian rock"

Guest Guest

• Members
We must not forget that the CCM artists are laughing their heads off behind their hands at those that buy their garbage. Not only that' date=' but they are laughing all the way to the bank.[/quote']

Not trying to be rude to the christian artists, but thats why I dont support a lot of christian rock or rap people. Their just as bad as the secular bands. All they care about is making money and CD sales. Its sad how once these bands get popular they go the way of the world.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

If you heard a lost person say something about Christians like this:

"They are backbiting hypocrites who care only about lifting their own selves up and putting everyone else down."

How would you respond?

I don't think I would respond with "no Christians are that way", but are all Christians really like that? Likewise, not all CCM artists are "just as bad as the secular bands". Not all CCM artists care only about "making money and CD sales" and "go the way of the world" once they get popular. There are some Christians that are bad examples, and, there are some CCM artists. Not only that, but "Christian Rock" or "CCM" includes all denominations that call themselves Christian. It's easy to put everyone under the same label, but that's prejudice, and it's not fair to those that are actually serving and doing good.

I think Casting Crowns is probably the best example of a good, popular CCM band. They serve as a ministry at their church youth group still, and I believe that's where they started.

[tube]KEIa7jNBr7s[/tube]

"When people listen to some of the songs, i think they're going to sound a little different, but the moment we start singing, they are going to know who we are." -Mark Hall

Testimony below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUvo39HoCew
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHPiiG70hwA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-L1rNY5Rn8

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

[quote="BumInABox"]Not trying to be rude to the christian artists, but thats why I dont support a lot of christian rock or rap people. Their just as bad as the secular bands. All they care about is making money and CD sales. Its sad how once these bands get popular they go the way of the world.[/quote]

If that's true, then why do most of them still hold day jobs? Back in the 80's and 90's, I was friends with several of them.

For instance, Whiteheart was the most popular Christian band in the world (after Petra) and, even then, those guys worked during the week and only toured on the weekends.

Rick Florian was a carpenter and Mark Gershmehl was a teacher.

Jerome Olds was an air conditioning repairman. Twila Paris was a secretary.

And, as far as "going the way of the world, once they get popular", did you know that Greg Volz actually left REO Speedwagon, an [i]extremely[/i] popular mainstream rock band, to join up with Petra, a much smaller band with just a relatively small niche fan base?

Same with Bruce Carroll. In addition to being one of the artist who held a real job (he was a drug and alcohol counselor), he was a very popular songwriter in Nashville and they wanted to turn him into a performer like Paul Overstreet, but he refused and chose to go into the much less money, much less fame world of Christian music.

I can't stand Christian rock, so don't think I'm defending the music, but it just isn't true to say that they're only in it for the money. There just isn't that much money to be made in Christian music.

• Members

[quote="war_eagle"][quote="BumInABox"]Not trying to be rude to the christian artists, but thats why I dont support a lot of christian rock or rap people. Their just as bad as the secular bands. All they care about is making money and CD sales. Its sad how once these bands get popular they go the way of the world.[/quote]

If that's true, then why do most of them still hold day jobs? Back in the 80's and 90's, I was friends with several of them.

For instance, Whiteheart was the most popular Christian band in the world (after Petra) and, even then, those guys worked during the week and only toured on the weekends.

Rick Florian was a carpenter and Mark Gershmehl was a teacher.

Jerome Olds was an air conditioning repairman. Twila Paris was a secretary.

And, as far as "going the way of the world, once they get popular", did you know that Greg Volz actually left REO Speedwagon, an [i]extremely[/i] popular mainstream rock band, to join up with Petra, a much smaller band with just a relatively small niche fan base?

Same with Bruce Carroll. In addition to being one of the artist who held a real job (he was a drug and alcohol counselor), he was a very popular songwriter in Nashville and they wanted to turn him into a performer like Paul Overstreet, but he refused and chose to go into the much less money, much less fame world of Christian music.

I can't stand Christian rock, so don't think I'm defending the music, but it just isn't true to say that they're only in it for the money. There just isn't that much money to be made in Christian music.[/quote]

One of the problems comes when we lump a lot of different people (and bands) into a group and paint with a broad brush saying they "all" do or are this or that.

Another problem comes in when we call so many different forms and styles of music "rock" that virtually anything could be considered that.

I heard a couple of Twila Paris songs back in the early 90s and they didn't sound anything like rock at all. Of course, I don't know what else she may have did before or since, but the two songs I heard were very nice.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Twila Paris isn't rock by any stretch of the imagination. Anybody who tells you that she is doesn't know what they're talking about.

I hear the same thing. Basically, anything that isn't a hymn is "rock".

I've heard Sandy Patti called rock. I've heard Steve Green called rock.

What's next? A Dial-a-Lie expose on that most evil of all rock performers, George Beverly Shea?

• Members

Actually, all three of those groups you mentioned do produce rock albums - whether soft rock or not, it is still in the genre of rock. I haven't listened to CCM for almost 10 years and the last album or two I had by Twila Paris was definitely medium rock, with some slow or soft rock songs on the same album. Sandi Patti has produced a range, some that I had were definitely rock (soft to medium rock). Steve Green also falls in the same range, depending upon the album.

• Members
Actually' date=' all three of those groups you mentioned do produce rock albums - whether soft rock or not, it is still in the genre of rock. I haven't listened to CCM for almost 10 years and the last album or two I had by Twila Paris was definitely medium rock, with some slow or soft rock songs on the same album. Sandi Patti has produced a range, some that I had were definitely rock (soft to medium rock). Steve Green also falls in the same range, depending upon the album.[/quote']

None of them are rock and roll by any stretch of the imagination.

It is true that Steve Green did sing lite-rock with Whiteheart, but none of his solo stuff is rock.

• Members

Well, your definition of rock must be different than the world's definition. Something doesn't stop being rock because it is now "Christianized."

I had Twila Paris' greatest hits and some of those songs were definitely rock - some of them were rock praise choruses, but still rock.

Sandi Patti's Le Voyage is definitely soft rock, which is why I liked it as a baby Christian.

• Members
Well' date=' your definition of rock must be different than the world's definition. Something doesn't stop being rock because it is now "Christianized."[/quote']

It has nothing to do with being "Christianized" or not. Whether Christian or secular, it still wouldn't be rock music.

I'm not familar with that package, but I am familiar with the songs on it, as I was involved in Christian rock around that time.

None of the songs on it were rock.

It was adult contemporary, if it was anything.

• Members

It was adult contemporary, if it was anything.

Actually, there are two songs on there that may be able to get the "pop" label (Long Look comes to mind) but still they are far from "rock" by Christian or secular definitions of the word.

Jerry, you are off on this one. Your use of "rock" is not the typical usage.

• Members
"Adult contemporary" is a genre of the broad 'rock music' category just as is pop' date=' rap, heavy metal, hard rock, soft rock, urban, etc.[/quote']
John, again, this is incorrect. Pop, contemporary, rap, rock, etc. are all genras of themselves. You cannot lump them all together and call it rock. (well you can, but it would not fit in with what the rest of the world considers "genras" of music.