• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Ameners

Ameners  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Ameners

• Yes, a few.
    • You can't hear the preacher sometimes
    • And I thought that one guy just had Tourette's.
    • No, none.
    • ________________
    • I find them exciting.
    • Its kinda distracting.
    • Who cares, show me the answers.

• Members

Thru out the years I was never a big amener, but I would occasionally amen out loud, many times I would amen softly, ever now and again would say 'that's right brother.' But I also notice the older I got the more I would amen.

I have no problem with amen's, that's right brother spoken loud during preaching nor during a prayer. That is just as long as its not mechanical. I feel with many people after you've been around them for a while, you can tell if it heart given or not. Amen Is a great encourager for the preacher.

I do not care for clapping, to me clapping is giving man glory, please give all the glory to God.

I have never been in a church that has all the jumping and such.

Back a few years ago while I was still able to ride the motorcycle Linda and I had stopped at a cafe in another town. As I got up going to the rest room I passed a table with a woman setting alone with her Bible open reading.

Coming back from the rest room I paused and remarked it was nice to see someone who was not ashamed to read their Bible in public. She smiled and said, thank you.

When she was leaving she stopped by our table and asked did we attend church. I said yes. Them she asked me if knew a certain preacher.

I told her them we were not from here just passing thru.

She exclaimed, "You need to hear that man, he can get down in the floor and roll with the best of them."

I suppose my mouth probably dropped wide open, I know my wife's did.

I asked her what church she attended, she said, "I've attended and belonged to all of them, I've been a Mormon, I've been a church of Christ, I've been an Assembly of God, I've been a Baptist, I've been a Jehovah Witness, I've been a Holiness, I've been every one of them, I'll try out any of them, but the one I attend now will put them all to shame, we can roll with the best of them up and down the church aisles, out the door and right back in."

At least she was proud of how well they could roll if nothing else. Sure are lots of confused people out there who are looking in all the wrong places for answers. Of course we want get all of our questions answered, for we are living in a fallen and deprave world which many fail to understand so all answer are not going to be available. Some people can't understand that, seems they just keep searching for that which they will not get.

But we can get one answer, of course that's Jesus Christ and with Him we can have assurance of our future them face anything in this world. Even though we don't have all the answer we can know that whatever happens to us God will work it out for our own good.

• Members
Milkman Dan is 100 % correct. As a former pastor I know that an amen is an encouragement to the preacher. Some one said saying amen to a preacher is like saying sicem (sp?) to a dog. It does encourage. He knows that his message is striking a cord. There is nothing harder than preaching to a totally unresponding congregation. : :amen:

Aussies are a fairly sedate lot in that respect.

When I have been to big meetings with guest speakers form the USA they often get a little frustrated that the Aussies don't talk back to them - no "Amens", no "preach it brother" etc.

I know when I have had the opportunity to preach in some "combined meetings" that when someone "Amen"'s a point it is a real encouragement.

It does affect the preacher and improve his efforts and enthusiasm.

But of course within reason! :roll

• 4 years later...

I don't know how I missed this topic...oh, I wasn't here then :biggrin:

I think that my amen let's the pastor know there are some (one) who agree and besides if I said "Yea" they might think I was watching sports on a cell phone.

I live in Ohio (born here), while in the Navy I attended an IFB Church in the south. You better be say'n amen there because those preachers flat out ask for them...

From the pulpit...

"Let me hear an amen."

"Will you amen that brother?"

"Is it too cold in here? Someone say amen."

Now that I'm back home...there don't seem to be as many :(

Edit to add: One brother down south could be counted on, when he agreed, to say, "Aaaaaahhmen" If I could slide in a smidgit of "i" after the "e" in "Aaaaaahhmen" you could almost say it yourself..."Aaaaaahhme'in". Where I sat in church it sounded more like "Whaaaaame'in" Maybe he was saying "Well amen" but down south...you know how things are said different.

Edited by 1Tim115

• Moderators

Our church is pretty quiet, but we do have one or two that will amen on occasion - when it's appropriate! I don't like it when you get the men that amen all the time for no reason. It loses its meaning.

I do have to laugh when other pastors visit our church. We are, like I said, quiet. No answering back or nothing. Our pastor usually answers his own questions! Then we get the visiting pastors in that ask a question and wait for an answer - and sometimes they have to wait might long! :D

• Moderators

I don't know how I missed this topic...oh, I wasn't here then :biggrin:

I think that my amen let's the pastor know there are some (one) who agree and besides if I said "Yea" they might think I was watching sports on a cell phone.

I live in Ohio (born here), while in the Navy I attended an IFB Church in the south. You better be say'n amen there because those preachers flat out ask for them...

From the pulpit...

"Let me hear an amen."

"Will you amen that brother?"

"Is it too cold in here? Someone say amen."

Now that I'm back home...there don't seem to be as many :(

Edit to add: One brother down south could be counted on, when he agreed, to say, "Aaaaaahhmen" If I could slide in a smidgit of "i" after the "e" in "Aaaaaahhmen" you could almost say it yourself..."Aaaaaahhme'in". Where I sat in church it sounded more like "Whaaaaame'in" Maybe he was saying "Well amen" but down south...you know how things are said different.

Yep, that woulda been a "Well, amen" (elongated). I know a particular fella in a particular church who if a point dealing with the sacrifice for our redemption or the the power and price for our sanctification was hit would be heard saying "Praaaise King Jesus!!".

Yep, that woulda been a "Well, amen" (elongated). I know a particular fella in a particular church who if a point dealing with the sacrifice for our redemption or the the power and price for our sanctification was hit would be heard saying "Praaaise King Jesus!!".

As long as it's from the heart and is spirit and truth worship..."Preach it brother!"

• Members

I hear few amens now and then, but not alot of them say it. I know I don't because I don't like being rude and interrupt the pastor (same reasons why people don't like talking in Movie theater) ... unless the pastor say "Amen?" But I guess that's part of being in the South.

"Amen?". I've heard from a preacher back in MO that Amen is not a question.