• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Ameners

Ameners  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Ameners

• Yes, a few.
    • You can't hear the preacher sometimes
    • And I thought that one guy just had Tourette's.
    • No, none.
    • ________________
    • I find them exciting.
    • Its kinda distracting.
    • Who cares, show me the answers.

• Members

There are a few amens. I see nothing wrong with it as long as they aren't amening the man. I have seen where the preacher gets up there and says hi, I am so and so, and the whole place amens. In my church it seems when the pastor something very important in the word or something outstanding from the bible amens are heard. My mother-in-law doesn't understand why I don't mind amens but don't really like clapping. Clapping always seems like hey good job on entertaining me. I will amen but not real loud. Not ashamed or anything, just I can't do that loud. I don't want to miss what he is saying.

Yeah' date=' and I have been in some hyper-charasmatic churches and I was frightened. They all ran up to the front before the singing even happened.[/quote']

The pentecostal/charismatic movement is entirely man- and self-centered. It's also very spiritually defeating - I speak this from experience. You can NEVER recreate at home the flesh-satisfying atmosphere of a "good" pentecostal service - what is seen as the "moving of the Holy Ghost." As a young believer, I felt defeated and as though I wasn't good enough or doing something "right" to recreate the feeling of excitement in my own prayer closet.

I could go on forever on that subject. I'm corresponding with my very best friend as a teen - a guy who attented the same UPC group as me - and gently questioning his beliefs. He's yet to respond to any of my questions, but I'm patient.

Jen

That is the problem with emotion and experience driven churches. When you don't feel the way you did you start questioning your salvation. That why it must be out of the word. Amen' date=' see I say amen every once in awhile[/quote']

Therein lies the rub... choosing experience over the truth of God's Word, or putting it on the same level. This is, at the core, the true justification for what happens in pentecostal groups.

I cannot tell you how many times I have heard - and even said - "I don't care what the Bible says. I know what I experienced."

Oooooohhhh my.

:praying

• Members
That is the problem with emotion and experience driven churches. When you don't feel the way you did you start questioning your salvation. That why it must be out of the word. Amen' date=' see I say amen every once in awhile[/quote']

True! We must never allow for personal experience to override the truth of scripture. The Word of God is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart (Heb. 4:12), i.e., the bible will give us the discernment of whether we're being led by the Spirit or our own emotions stemming from the deceitfulness of our own heart at times.

Love,
Madeline

• Members

The Assembly of God church I attended all those years ago went progressively more charismatic as time went by.

By the time I stopped going to that church, they were speaking in tongues, shouting and clapping and cheering and yelling and carrying on.

I hadn't yet been taught all that wasn't right, but it didn't sit well with me and after some time, I did learn why.

Now I'm one of those comparatively sedate Baptists! :saint

The Assembly of God church I attended all those years ago went progressively more charismatic as time went by.

By the time I stopped going to that church, they were speaking in tongues, shouting and clapping and cheering and yelling and carrying on.

I hadn't yet been taught all that wasn't right, but it didn't sit well with me and after some time, I did learn why.

Now I'm one of those comparatively sedate Baptists! :saint

The A of G organization was originally part of the "seed" that sprouted the United Pentecostal Church. They split over baptism in Jesus' name and the doctrine of the trinity vs. "oneness." After they split, the AG moved away from "holiness standards" originally espoused by both groups.

• Members

I didn't know anything about that church. I just went there with a girlfriend and it was a new experience to me. I had attended Sunday school until about 10 years old at a Methodist church. I had been to VBS at a Christian church when I was young too. Other than that, I didn't know anything about churches back then.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I for one really dig the amen's!!

I believe that they serve to encourage the pastor. Our pastor is a little goofy. He will, on occasion, hit home so hard that there will be no amen. Then, goes from behind the pulpit runs to the pews and (acting as one of the members) cry out "amen" run to the other side and do the same (in a high falsetto). :loco

I will amen the really good points.

• Members

Milkman Dan is 100 % correct. As a former pastor I know that an amen is an encouragement to the preacher. Some one said saying amen to a preacher is like saying sicem (sp?) to a dog. It does encourage. He knows that his message is striking a cord. There is nothing harder than preaching to a totally unresponding congregation. : :amen: