• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can divorce be a pastor or deacon?

Can divorce become a pastor or deacon?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Can divorce become a pastor or deacon?

• Yes
    • no
    • not sure

• Members

Ok, let's see...what I am reading thus far is that no one could be a pastor or a deacon. Because, after all, all sin is "un-biblical". And indeed that is even more true than in the case of divorce, because there are biblically acceptable reasons for divorce (Jesus mentions unfaithfulness), but there is no biblical excuse for sin. Therefore since sin sets a bad example, no one who sins would be qualified to be a pastor or a deacon. I think this is a question of degrees. On the one hand, we don't want to say that a person's past is out of bounds for consideration of any sort. But on the other hand, we don't want to make the primary basis of our evaluation of a pastor his ability to past a very strictly legalistic test. That will only ensure that the particular sins he has and is committing are well covered over. It will not ensure that he is a an able teacher of the Bible (the one essential reason we need him in the first place).

Well, I have a similar objection to this one. This argument assumes that divorce is always wrong according to scripture, and also that divorce disqualifies a person from being in the ministry (which, as I pointed out before, is not anywhere in the Bible). According to this standard, we would apparently have eliminate Moses from ministry, for example, if we wanted to hew to this legalistic line. As to "preaching against divorce", in my view a pastor-teacher should "preach" what is in the Bible. He should help his flock understand precisely what is in the scripture on all subjects through the entire realm of doctrine and theology, and should certainly not get hung up on a few areas like love and marriage which titillate the audience but do not produce spiritual growth. "Preaching for/against" certain behaviors that have captured the attention of the pastor or the congregation or the society as a whole is, in my view, a terrible mistake. If a pastor-teacher follows this course, it will no doubt bring more people in (out interest, guilt, fireworks, etc.), but in the end these people are not going to be fed the Word of God - they are merely going to be entertained (much as polemical talk shows entertain rather than inform; the former is interesting, while the latter tends to bore people even though it is much better for them). This is a terrible waste under the best of conditions. On the doorstep of the Tribulation, it is a travesty for which I personally would shudder to have to answer for when I stand before our Lord on that great day of days.

Love,
Madeline

• Members

<< 1 Timothy 3 >>

1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;

• Members

I chatted with my friend about the divorced to be a pastor issue last Saturday.

I believe divorced can become pastor if:
1. He did his best as he can to get his wife reconcile to him but she left her husband to marry another man. It was not his fault. After his wife married to another man, he then found another woman and got marry.
2. He was divorced while he was unsaved that he didn't know what was right and wrong about divorce. Then he got saved and got married to godly woman.
3. His wife passed away then he married to godly woman.
All three that the divorced man does rule his own house well and prove his good report of work in the ministry of the IFB for the Lord before he can enter the pastor/deacon position.
I know most of you prefer the 3rd. I also strongly support the third.

I do not approve divorced man if:
1. He married and divorced twice or more.
2. He left his wife to marry another woman.
3. He involved adultery and fornication.

Don't you agree with this?
I know most of you don't agree with me about allow divorced to become a pastor. That is discouraged innocent divorced man want to serve the Lord to preach and teach God's words who loves the Lord God Almighty. You can't blame divorced man who didn't do anything wrong.

Evan57 :ears: w/o hear

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I AM REALLY CONCERNED ABOUT OUR PREACHER, HE WILL NOT TELL US HOW MANY TIMES HE HAS BEEN MARRIED. I GUESS SOMEONE KNOWS. IT MAY BE AS MANY AS THREE MARRIAGE AND I ALSO DO NOT KNOW IF ANY ARE LIVING? I AM A MEMBER AND DO NOT WANT TO FOLLOW HIM IF HE SHOULD NOT BE THEIR BY LAW OF THE BIBLE. CAN SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME? THANKS LANA

Guest Guest

I'm not answering post but only commenting here.If a biblibal devorice, I believe ALL our sins are forgiven and forgotten upon salvation. I realize this won't be popular but that's where the LORD has led me. After salvation is a different story!--Pixiedust P.S. Please no attacks!

• Administrators
I AM REALLY CONCERNED ABOUT OUR PREACHER' date=' HE WILL NOT TELL US HOW MANY TIMES HE HAS BEEN MARRIED. I GUESS SOMEONE KNOWS. IT MAY BE AS MANY AS THREE MARRIAGE AND I ALSO DO NOT KNOW IF ANY ARE LIVING? I AM A MEMBER AND DO NOT WANT TO FOLLOW HIM IF HE SHOULD NOT BE THEIR BY LAW OF THE BIBLE. CAN SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME? THANKS LANA[/quote']
Public online message boards is not the proper place for this type of discussion. This is something you and your pastor have to work out.

Guest Guest

In response to the topic's question:
No, I do not think so. The Bible makes it clear they are to be the husbands of one wife.

And that does not mean "one wife at a time".
God bless,
Crushmaster.

Guest Guest
The question should be "Can a man be remarried and be a pastor or deacon?" I'm surprised how many of you think a divorced man can't be a pastor or deacon. Did ya'll know that C.I. Scofield was divorced?

Sir, if you are referring to the Scofield I am thinking of, I seem to recall a lot of his theology was wrong (i.e. - he was a gap theorist).

Besides that, sir, man's example does not matter. What matters is what God's Word says.
And it says divorce is wrong, and then marrying another after being divorced is adultery.
(Matthew 5:32) - "But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery."

(Mark 10:8-9) - "And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh. {9} What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder."
God bless,
Crushmaster.

• Members

Sir, if you are referring to the Scofield I am thinking of, I seem to recall a lot of his theology was wrong (i.e. - he was a gap theorist).

Besides that, sir, man's example does not matter. What matters is what God's Word says.
And it says divorce is wrong, and then marrying another after being divorced is adultery.
(Matthew 5:32) - "But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery."

(Mark 10:8-9) - "And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh. {9} What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder."
God bless,
Crushmaster.

So "the cause of fornication" is allowable for divorce?

Also, what if "he" doesn't put "her" away (the man doesn't divorce the wife) but it is the reverse?

Is there any place the Scriptures address that specific scenario (in a similar manner as Matthew 5:32)?