• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Biblical Marriage

• Members
To get a marriage license you do not have to go before a judge!!!

No youhave to pay a fee (tax) and then abide by all the laws aplicable to the license. Look up all the laws that stem from the marriage license and start looking at all the ungodly things involved in that.

You are the one who is twisting things' date=' not me.[/quote']
I haven't twisted anything I have applied the definition the same way the SCOTUS does.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
First off' date=' that "tax" is interesting. In the state of Oklahoma if you walk into the court house and ask for a license it is $50.00. If you have a letter from your pastor ( I know, I typed it) stating he counseled you to his satisfaction, it is a $5.00 filing fee. The pastor has no rules he must abide by, no amount of time required, simply to his satisfaction.[/quote']
$50.00 or $5.00 doesn't matter it's still a Tax.

• Members
I didn't tell you why you got married I said What I was doing in my family I didn't make any comments about you personally.

The only reason to have the marriage license is to receive the "priviledges" that are attached to that contract with the state.

Sounds like to me you made a personal statement. If the only reason to do so is for the privaledges, and I did get one, it must be my reason. :bonk:

Those things are clearly defined in the Bible we don't need the gov't to tell us that.

So you are telling me that we as christians are to make the lost mind what the bible says.

rancher824 wrote:
Making sure that when a man gets married that what is his becomes his wifes

Could you clarify that statement for me?

In your mind of marriage if you family fights for your posetions at your death, the burden of proof is on your "wifes" shoulder. She will first have to prove you were married by common law. If the courts decide you were not, she has no rights.

As to the unwed unfit mother who has her children taken away can you show me that in the scripture were God gave the gov't the authority to break up a family even an abusive one. The authority in the NT to look out for those in a weaker position was given to the Local NT church not the Gov't.

So now you are saying that if I as a church member see a child being beat, that I believe will be killed, I should take it to the church and the church go in and take the child. Man you are sounding more like a catholic than a baptist.

I had to go back and re read your other post my mistake I mis-read what your were saying you weren't talking about the preacher, but I'll deal with this anyways. If it's just a storehouse of information then why are there laws telling preachers what they can and cannot preach about attached to those gov't licenses. the obvious one applies more to the church itself IRC 501 © 3 but many state have similar laws in place that apply directly to the preacher who registers his license with the state. A good example is nebraska has some very strict laws that apply directly to licensed preachers.

Give me some statutes so I can look them up.

Maybe so in OK I don't know all of OK laws but thats a broad statement to apply to every state when I know of several that don't have that law

You have made a broad statement that marriage licenses are bad. I am answering that.

You haven't been able to show me were God says to take a marriage license every verse you have used to prove the legality of marriage is attached to the division of inheritance of Isreal. Take the inheritance issue out of it and then show me in scripture were the gov't has Godly authority over your marriage.

It does not make any differance why the govt has athority, but that they do. If I could show you example after example it would make you no differance. You would twist it somehow. Boaz could not marry Ruth. The law forbad it. He had to go and get permission for it. Take care of legalities. You have not showed me one passage that says that the govt does not have the authority. If I understand you correctly, you feel no one has it. It is as in the days of noah, every man doing what is right in his own eyes. You either have that or a state church, with a religious leader over everyone telling them the bible says you must. Catholics.

• Members
Sounds like to me you made a personal statement. If the only reason to do so is for the privaledges' date=' and I did get one, it must be my reason.[/quote']

You can read into it whatever you want you seem to be doing that with every post I make.

No we don't have to make them mind, but God's law applies whether they believe on him or not and they will be judge for it.

• Members
rancher824 wrote:
Give me some statutes so I can look them up.

I gave you one in that paragraph.

Forgot to mention this. That statute is about a non profit orginization. A preacher is not a non profit organization. I have a hard time getting the proof that the non marriage license group says they have. It always leads down the same road. Go find it yourself. :loll:

• Members

[quote="sarcrew"]Remember, to become one flesh - as the Bible means it, as I take it, you and the spouse must be a virgin (at the very least the woman must be - ladies I say this because many men in the OT had many wives, but you never see a Biblical woman with more than one husband - in fact the original OT meaning of adultery was sex between a married woman and a man not her husband) . [/quote]Abigail was not a virgin when she married David. The Bible gives nothing but a good impression of her. The only bad thing that might even be implied wopuld be her choice of first hisband, but in that culture it's doubtful Nabal was her choice. It's more likely he's who her father picked for her.

• Members

[quote="Danny Carlton"][quote="sarcrew"]Remember, to become one flesh - as the Bible means it, as I take it, you and the spouse must be a virgin (at the very least the woman must be - ladies I say this because many men in the OT had many wives, but you never see a Biblical woman with more than one husband - in fact the original OT meaning of adultery was sex between a married woman and a man not her husband) . [/quote]Abigail was not a virgin when she married David. The Bible gives nothing but a good impression of her. The only bad thing that might even be implied wopuld be her choice of first hisband, but in that culture it's doubtful Nabal was her choice. It's more likely he's who her father picked for her.[/quote]

You know, that's an excellent point. thanks for that.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

That's right, I had forgotten about that, but has he run since then? He must've not wanted it bad enough. It's difficult to be a true Christian and a true libertarian. There's some compromise of standards involved.

Again, I said our government can make mistakes - Bill Clinton used the IRS to silence his critics, just like Richard Nixon did. Unfortunately, the church posted a candidate's name on its marque. If it just had a general statement against abortion, it would have been left alone. But putting a candidate's name to that message raises a red flag. And the church is doing the right thing by fighting the IRS, and I hope and pray God honors that. By the way, this situation is exactly why our church is not incorporated and not officially registered with the state of Iowa (but that's another thread, I guess).

Mitch

Correction:
He was on the Constitution Party ticket in 2004, as Michael Peroutka's VP nominee. Their entire campaign was principled and Christian. Unfortunately, the national Constitution Party has compromised on allowing people who aren't 100% pro-life (no exceptions), so Peroutka and Baldwin are not running this election.

• 1 month later...

There's a passage I found interesting in regard to the adultery/"double marriage" issue.

1 Corinthians 7:27 Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed. Art thou loosed from a wife? seek not a wife.
28 But and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned; and if a virgin marry, she hath not sinned. Nevertheless such shall have trouble in the flesh: but I spare you. (Emphasis added)

This passage says that someone who has been loosed from a wife (legally, divorce) should not seek a wife. However, if he marries he hasn't sinned. But Paul then explains the reason for the warning in the first verse: "such shall have trouble in the flesh." Every divorce is destructive to all involved, but God has grace.

And no, the ceremony has nothing to do with a marriage; it's got as much to do with two people being married as baptism does with someone being saved. Isaac never had a ceremony with Rebekah; he took her into the tent and "she became his wife."

• Members
And no' date=' the ceremony has nothing to do with a marriage; it's got as much to do with two people being married as baptism does with someone being saved. Isaac never had a ceremony with Rebekah; he took her into the tent and "she became his wife."[/quote']

The Bible nowhere teaches that sexual relations (fornication) equals marriage; otherwise there would not be this verse:

1 Corinthians 7:2 Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

Or this one - if relations equals marriage:

1 Corinthians 6:18 Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.

Hebrews 13:4 Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.

This is dealing with essentially the same thing: sexual relations. However, the important difference here is the intentions of the participants: the first part deals with married couples, or those with clean intentions of being together for the rest of their lives. The second part is about temporary self-gratification. Couple this verse with the phrase "is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." God cares more about our intentions than our actions, even though the actions are still important.

No, I do not support this model for today; it's a terrible testimony, though it's not sin. It just looks like fornication to the world.