• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How much time do you spend praying daily?

Guest Guest

How much time do you usually spend praying each day?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How much time do you usually spend praying each day?

• less than 15 minutes
    • Not long but often
    • around 30 minutes
    • About an hour
    • About 2 hours
    • 2+ hours

Personally, I must confess I have to vote "Not long but often". :ooops Still Jesus and other bible characters would spend LONG periods of time praying, sometimes the whole night. Biographies of past men of God often mention praying long periods of time as well. From these things I am inclined to think that praying often for long periods of time is a quite positive thing. I don't think I have ever prayed for more than a couple of hours at one time though and that only rarely when I KNEW I was dealing with a serious problem. So I was wondering if anyone here does pray 2+ hours regularly. You don't have to say who you are just vote and be honest please. :Green Inquiring minds would like to know :thumb Grace and peace...

• Members

Kind of a tough one to answer but I voted "not long but often" because I pray throughout the day and while none of my prayers may be very long, I pray dozens of times a day generally for anywhere from a minute or so up to maybe 15 minutes.

However, there are times when I may pray for 15 to 30 minutes at a time, plus my praying throughout the day.

I don't recall ever praying for hours at a time. I would need help from God to be able to do that.

You are correct, many great men of God of the past are known to have spent hours in prayer. Some of them would rise early in the morning (like 3 a.m.) and pray for three or four hours! I honestly don't know how they did it, but without the Lord enabling me to, I couldn't stay awake like that or keep my focus.

honestly don't know how they did it, but without the Lord enabling me to, I couldn't stay awake like that or keep my focus.

Well, I am young and I have been blessed with a good focus and unless I happen to be very tired I don't tend to fall asleep. When I have tried it however after a while I just seem to run out of things to say, then I am just sitting there feeling foolish. :ooops I would like to get there someday though.

That's one of the reason I don't set an amount of time for prayer. When I pray, I pray until things to pray about and for stop coming to the front of my mind. At that point, I'm finished, whether I've been praying for one minute or twenty.

I don't normally set a time either, but if I don't I always end up done in no more than twenty minutes or so. That makes me feel kinda bad, and I find myself wishing a couple hours would go by without me noticing. Thats how I think large blocks of time should go, as if it was just 10-15 minutes. :pray

• Members

Oh I have no doubt that a disciplined prayer life, involving hours of sincere prayer would be a wonderful thing.

I know I love those times when I have a long prayer. Somehow I feel extra close to the Lord during those times and I seem to gain some real insights. I can't even imagine how much that might be magnifed for one who spends hours in prayer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Usually about an hour in the morning and about an hour at night. Start by praising God. Count your blessing you'll find out you have alot of them usually. Just some helpful hints that helped me increase my prayer time was I started gathering up prayer cards for every ministry that came through our church and I now have about 40 of them, If they have sent a letter to our church recently I try to pray specifically for their needs if they mention any. Other wise I just try to pray for a blessing for them and their family and ministry. Add in that I try to remember each family in our church and I write down any prayer requests from our wednesday night services and pray for them specifically. Then I try to Focus on our unsaved family members and finally about more specific things in our lives. Then a few times through the day I try to pray short prayers just to stay focused.

C

• 11 months later...

The time takes more than one hour and I'd definitely want to lenghten the time up to 1:30-2:50. I do a mixture of asking for forgiveness, praises, requests, praying for other people, etc.