• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

SBC Baptism... is it good enough fo you and God?

• Members
If a SBC member came to our church and wanted to join he would have to be re-baptized we would not accept his SBC baptism.

Let's assume they are saved and then get baptized in the SBC and join their church. Then they move to a new area... and want to join your church.l

From another thread.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Wouldn't the most important question be whether they were scripturally baptized or not?

Did they profess faith in Christ and were baptized by immersion as a profession of their faith in partaking of the death and resurrection symbolized by baptism...

Or, were they baptized while yet unsaved, or baptized to be saved, or sprinkled or poured, or some other unscriptural reason and method?

I was baptized by an excellent Baptist pastor, for scriptural reasons and by scriptural method, and this was/is accepted by the church I just joined.

If a baptism was conducted for the right reason and in the right manner, and upon one who is born again, then there should be no need for further baptism.

If they were unscripturally baptised, then they would indeed need to have a proper baptism.

• Members

If they are truly regenerated, then yes, accept the baptism. Otherwise, they weren't saved and it doesn't matter.

It's all based on salvation status at time of baptism.

There are many people in the SBC who get saved and stay there knowing there must be more but can't find it. (Unless God miraculously takes them to an IFB college somewhere to teach them something. Okay, I wasn't saved yet, but I knew there was more than what I was hearing.)

• Members

If it is a bible believing church that holds the same beliefs on the gospel. Than yes, there are some sbc churches that are right on. I have been to a few and they are a breath of fresh air from most of the seeker driven mumbo-jumbo. But if any church that follows the bible and baptises in the scriptural way I would accept their baptism.

• Members

I think I answered your question, or are you looking for some other answer. If the the church they come from is a bible-believing church and baptises in the biblical way than yes I would accept their baptism. If they come from a well known apostate church that doesn't follow the bible and they were spritzed or something than no I wouldn't accept it.

• Members

I don't think anyone who has answered thus far is dancing around the issue. Not all SBC churches are the same. Some are very conservative, some are liberal and everything in between.

What matters most is whether or not the person was indeed saved at the time and if the baptism was conducted scripturally.

We all know there are churches that don't really make sure a person is truly saved and there are some who pour or sprinkle rather than immerse.

Now, if we were talking about someone who was baptised as a Catholic or some other church that doesn't even teach biblical salvation and has unscriptural views on baptism, then someone coming from such churches would need to be properly baptised.

• Members

Baptism is the first sign of obedience. I don't it matters where a person was baptized as long as he is saved. All you really need is his confession of faith. If he says he been baptized, then take his words for it and leave it between him and the Lord.

How his baptism was done (people have different ways of baptizing), that's another question if they should be baptize the proper way or not.

now, if they think baptism is part of their salvation (that is, you are not saved until you are baptized), then we have a problem.

I had to vote "I can't answer this." because I don't think that "Who baptized you" is the right question to ask someone wanting to join the church. The right questions should be something along the lines of: "were you a Christian by the biblical definition when you were baptized, understanding that it was for identification with and obediance to Christ and not for your salvation?" and "was it by immersion?". If the answer to these is yes, it matters not at all if the SBC or any other group baptized you... Conversely, if the answer to either of these is no, it matters not if you were baptized in the best IFB church in the nation, you would need to be re-baptized. :Green