• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members
I know this may open an attack on me but here I must beg to differ. Alcohol is not from the devil. In fact I can quote Scritpure where we are told to serve alcohol. It is the abuse and addiction that is sin. And to abuse or become addicted to any thing is just as wrong - whether it's cup of coffee' date=' alcohol, or chocolate.[/quote']

Proverbs 20:1 - "Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise."

• Members

Pro 31:6 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.
Pro 31:7 Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.

We can trade Scripture all day long. Read what I said - abuse and addiction are wrong!! If you drink to excess you are wrong!! If you don't drink to excess, if you do not abuse it, if you are not addicted, are not a drunkard - it is not wrong!! No matter how much you dislike it or have been hurt by those that did it to excess. I am sorry for your loss - but your loss does not change God's word!

Wayne

PS - Did Jesus drink wine? You already know He did.

• Members
Did Jesus drink wine? You already know He did.

Jesus did not drink alcoholic beverages. It is obvious that you are twisting scripture to justify your love of alcoholic beverages. Have you ever tried to witness to your neighbor with a beer in your hand?

• Administrators

sarcrew, if you study out the Scripture and the word wine you will see that Jesus never drank any alcoholic beverages. The word wine used in the Bible has different meanings different times. Here just one article that explains it a little.

http://www.gotothebible.com/HTML/bibleandwine.html

• Members

First I notice no one refuted the Proverbs I cited. Next, the Bible does merely state fruit of the vine for Jesus drinking so I'll leave that alone. However would Jesus make an alcoholic beverage for people from water if alcohol was of the devil????

Joh 4:46 So Jesus came again into Cana of Galilee, where he made the water wine.

Don't even try to say it doesn't mean real wine - the exact same word is used in the following:

Tit 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behavior as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;

1Ti 3:8 Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre;

Read what the Bible actually says and leave your attitude and self righteousness out of it. It says "given to much" - not to any!!!! And they aren't worried about grape juice!

Jerry you accused Jesus of doing evil - you said alcohol is of the devil! Further consider:

1Ti 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Do you use money BroSmith? BroMatt? Jerry?? The Bible clearly states money is of the devil.
So you forbid what the Bible allows - alcohol. And you use what the Bible says is evil - money.

Wayne

PS - I have no love of alcohol - keep the personal attacks out - or can't you discuss an issue as Christian? You know who you are.

• Administrators

First off, please calm down. Before we get into the other verses I would like to find out where you got the following. Once we get this cleared out we will discuss Proverbs. You are clearly taking verses out of context.

Do you use money BroSmith? BroMatt? Jerry?? The Bible clearly states money is of the devil.

The Bible does not state that.

• Members
First off, please calm down. Before we get into the other verses I would like to find out where you got the following. Once we get this cleared out we will discuss Proverbs. You are clearly talking verses out of context.

The Bible does not state that.

I cited the verse I was referencing in that same post but here it is again:

1Ti 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

My point is that it is hardly proper to assign evil to something the Bible says may be done and then encourage participation in something it says is the root of all evil.

I do not condone drunkeness - neither does the Bible. I will not condemn some one who has a few drinks - neither does the Bible! It is the excess or constant use that the Bible is against - not the occasional partaking.

Wayne

PS - BroMatt, If I don't appear calm I apologize. It is because I do not appreciate personal attacks from anyone. I certainly did not expect to get them from a fellow believer who doesn't even know me. It is even worse when they assign my actions or views to the work of the devil when I am following Scripture verbatim! And cited Scripture to prove it - which everyone has ignored. I thought that OB would be a great place to help each other grow in the Lord. I have asked questions and posited views here. I have thanked those who have helped clarify certain passages. Even in this thread I conceded that Scripture does not exsplicitly say Jesus drank alcohol. Am I to expect that my fellow believers are unable to put aside a view wrongly held? Is it unreasonable of me to try to shed light to them even as I seek them to shed light on me. The Scripture clearly permits alcohol - clearly. It just as clearly condemns abuse. That they or those they know are too weak to participate without abusing it is not justification for assailing my walk in the Lord. If I were to meet these people I would not drink in front of them because I know it offends them - but I do not think it right for them to twist Scripture and say it is wrong in it's entirety.

• Administrators

I cited the verse I was referencing in that same post but here it is again:

My point is that it is hardly proper to assign evil to something the Bible says may be done and then encourage participation in something it says is the root of all evil.
1 tim 6:10 says that it is the love of money that is the root of all evil, not the money in itself. We need to look at all the words in the passage to see what the context is talking about. Breaking the verse down with a diagram clearly shows that the passage is talking about the love of money.

Moving on.
Pro 31:6 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.
Pro 31:7 Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.

Looking at the whole passage here we see that this passage is not dealing with casual social drinking at all. It was recommended to use the wine as a medicine. Back in the Bible days they did not have the same medication that we have available today. The context of the Scripture is not talking about social/casual drinking so you can't apply that here to the context we are talking about in casual drinking. Also for someone to hold to the belief that Jesus drank alcohol, you would have to say that Jesus disobeyed the Bible. In verse 4 of the same chapter it was forbidden for Kings to drink wine, so if Jesus drank wine He disobeyed God and sinned.

• Members
... If I don't appear calm I apologize. It is because I do not appreciate personal attacks from anyone. ... If I were to meet these people I would not drink in front of them because I know it offends them - but I do not think it right for them to twist Scripture and say it is wrong in it's entirety.

It sounds to me like you are admitting that you drink alcoholic beverages. It also sounds to me that you are going to great lengths to justify your actions. In other words, it seems to me that you love drinking so much, that you are willing to twist scripture in order to sooth your guilty conscience. If you want to call that a personal attack, then so be it.

• Members

BroMatt, I have alreay conceded the point concerning Jesus have I not? If I was not clear enough I will state it here - I concede the point. Second, in your view it is about the context and alcohol is to be used as medicine. If it is for medicine why is it forbidden Kings and princes - were they not entitled the medicine of the day? Even so, fine, if it is Biblically stated to be used as medicine then it is still clearly not of the devil is it? If it was just for medicine there must have been a lot of sick people at the marriage ceremony when Jesus changed the water into wine.

Wayne

• Members

It sounds to me like you are admitting that you drink alcoholic beverages. It also sounds to me that you are going to great lengths to justify your actions. In other words, it seems to me that you love drinking so much, that you are willing to twist scripture in order to sooth your guilty conscience. If you want to call that a personal attack, then so be it.

I do occasionally have a drink. I keep no alcohol at home and I seldom leave home due to medical issues. I need no justfication. I follow Scripture. My conscience is clear.

• Members
The only way to get the beliefs that you mentioned is by only stating a verse and not looking at the whole chapter in context.

May I ask, for clarity, if, as you state, that it is allowed in the Bible for medicine, then it is not of the devil?

Wayne

I believe I have looked thru all Scripture and not just a single verse, or chapter, or book. In this I guess we must agree to disagree. Having said such to continue to respond would be unproductive. This will be my last post on this subject. Thank you for the clarity concerning Jesus' use of the fruit of the vine verses wine.