• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Home Churches?

• Members

I forgot to add my contact with BJU students has lead to some serious concerns at what they are teaching thier students. Firstly they don't hold to KJV only. They accept other versions, and yet it is a major sin if you don't wear stockings to church (For a lady) . In North Queensland stockings in summer would be foolish to say the least. Traditions of man seem to be way more important. I personally stay away from all things BJU. Of course there would be those there that are faithful servants of Christ however as an organisation there falling away is very said and to be weary of.

Once again just my :2cents and from what I've experienced.

Blossom

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thankyou Blossom for clarifying my post. That is of course what I meant! I am not against meeting in a home. I actually love having church services in our home. It is the whole authority issue that concerns me.
I have also found that some home church people accept a mutitude of different doctrines. THIS is concerning.
As BJU. i have known of a couple of people who have studied there and came out confused.
Blossom; I wouldn't wear stockings in Queensland either! :lol:

• Members

It is my experience with many BJU ministries that they hold firmly to conservative Christian music, but that they have no standards regarding dress, separation, textual stance.

Their famous quote is "where the music goes, so shall the church." Like music is the only thing important.

Guest Guest
It is my experience with many BJU ministries that they hold firmly to conservative Christian music, but that they have no standards regarding dress, separation, textual stance.

Their famous quote is "where the music goes, so shall the church." Like music is the only thing important.

In my visits on BJU campus, there was no immodesty to be found anywhere...so I'm not sure where you derive that. Scripturally, they also allow the NASB for Greek and study, but use exclusively the KJV in the classroom and pulpit. Not to mention, when I was checking my Greek homework, the NASB is what I used...over the KJV for accuracy purposes in literal translation.

Their music is ultra-conservative, too much IMHO, but I'm not sure that is a cause for a negative view of them. I wouldn't go there, but I don't think they are negatively influencing churches and not taking a stand in the arena of separation. They are quite separated.

• Members

In my visits on BJU campus, there was no immodesty to be found anywhere...so I'm not sure where you derive that. Scripturally, they also allow the NASB for Greek and study, but use exclusively the KJV in the classroom and pulpit. Not to mention, when I was checking my Greek homework, the NASB is what I used...over the KJV for accuracy purposes in literal translation.

Their music is ultra-conservative, too much IMHO, but I'm not sure that is a cause for a negative view of them. I wouldn't go there, but I don't think they are negatively influencing churches and not taking a stand in the arena of separation. They are quite separated.

FWIW, I agree with your observations, Vir Decimus. "Separation" is one of the hallmarks of BJU's stand. Although they do seek to engage their community in order to bring them to Christ, they do not bow to popular culture's standards. Stockings to church??? I know that was true in the past...I attended there for four years, and hose/nylons were part of the dress code; even the cheerleaders for the intramural teams had to wear them under their bobby socks! (Talk about feeling separated from popular culture! :wink ) But now hose/nylons are not part of the dress code; that rule was dropped two or three years ago. But the girls dress modestly, for the most part, as far as I can tell. (I see a lot of them frequently.) As far as I know, BJU remains conservative and "separated" in every area I can think of. As long as they hold this line, I'll plan to send my own children there. It's just over an hour from where we live, and it's the best Christian liberal arts university I know of...great, godly faculty; excellent academic standards; solid philosophy of life and ministry.

No doubt some have had bad experiences related to BJU, or BJU grads. I'm glad to say that most of my experiences have been positive. Of course I don't agree with all of the university's policies or methods or standards or positions or politics or rules or whatever else...I don't know of anyone who does. It's no more perfect than any other place. I do appreciate the top-notch, Bible-based, lovingly presented education I received there. The exposure to quality music, art, and literature that I gained as a student there has proven invaluable to me through the years. I'm a better wife, mother, and teacher as a result of my training there.

Anyway, I know...this is off-topic! Sorry. :ooops

• Members
In my visits on BJU campus' date=' there was no immodesty to be found anywhere...so I'm not sure where you derive that. Scripturally, they also allow the NASB for Greek and study, but use exclusively the KJV in the classroom and pulpit. Not to mention, when I was checking my Greek homework, the NASB is what I used...over the KJV for accuracy purposes in literal translation.[/quote']

Hence the text issue I was referring to. The NASB is not a more accurate translation, it is a perversion of Scripture.

As to the other issues, I was not specifically referring to BJU, but BJU network of churches. Every BJU church and ministry that I have been involved in or attended has had no stand on dress issues (both men and women).

• Members

For about a year we held services in our home with the intentions of getting a church started. We are now driving 120 miles one way to attend a good independent fundamental Baptist church. A couple of months ago we joined Riverside Baptist Church in North Platte, Nebraska and plan on moving to North Platte at the end of May.

As a side note, the "home church" movement in the United States centers around home school families that believe in absolute patriarchal control of the spiritual well being of their families. They view an organized church as a threat to their spiritual heritage.

• Members
Bro. Smith, you are absolutely correct.

Wilchbla,
What are the pro's to the Home church movement? It is unscriptural so I don't see any pros.

Again, the definition of a home church is not a church meeting in a home.

How is a home church unscriptural? In some countries this is the only place they can get together.

One pro is that we are not bound to meet in some church or "temple" like it was somekind of holy building. To the believer it's just a building and that's it. So in that case there's liberty in Christ. One con is that a lot of times home churches are started by someone who is trying to draw folks away from the local churches because he wants to rule the flock.

I Corinthians 16:19- The churches of Asia salute you. Aquila and Priscilla salute you much in the Lord, with the church that is in their house.

• Members
That is not a home church' date=' that is a church meeting in a home. You may want to read the rest of this thread to learn what a home church is.[/quote']

Yes, I know what you are talking about. This is why I said one of the cons is that you may have someone trying to draw disciples after himself. Usually someone who has a beef with the pastor or who despises authority. But I still heard of churches that started like this (in the home) without an official pastor until they moved into a building and found one. I went to a regular church (one that meet in a building) and we were without a pastor for a long time. We couldn't find anyone to fill the postion. So some of the men took turns leading the service. I guarantee you'll find believers in different parts of the world that meet in homes and don't have a pastor and/or deacon.

• Members

Please be careful what is meant by the "home chuch movement".
While door knocking last week, my wife and I ran into someone who claimed that God was not working through the local churches any more. At first, she seemed to have a little more Bible knowledge than people we usually meet, but when she quoted II Cor. 6:17 for her reason for not attending ANY church, red flags went up.
Then, this past Sunday, a lady from our church brought a tract that was on display at a Gospel music concert titled: Does God Love You?. This was published by Family Radio (not to be confused with American Family Radio). I did an internet search on this and found out that it is the teachings of Harold Camping. He also has set a date for the rapture, does not believe in eternal punishment for the lost, and is calvinistic on the doctrines of salvation.
Beware of this false prophet.
ELI