• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Home Churches?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Thanks everyone for your comments. I guess my heart is burdened when people will not attend sound local churches in preference for doing their own thing. I am not against holding church services in a home' date=' ( we have on many occasions ).[/quote']

I agree.

• Members

The home church is a growing entity. I first encountered this in CT. A family began attending church very faithfully. I began a discipleship course with them. During this course I found out that they do not believe in organized religion, that they are "home Churched". The real reason they were in church was to befriend people in the church and convince them that church was not Biblical, that the husband was responsible to train and lead his family, not the church.

I am now in Michigan and there is a very large family attending our church of this same persuasion. They attend faithfully and have begun to develop relationships with other larger families in the church. I anticipate them doing the same thing, driving families out of the church. Unfortunately my pastor just isn't willing to deal with anything.

It is very frustrating to not have any good church in a 40 mile radius of my home. This church is at least solid in the text and teaching, they just take the typical BJU stand of no separation.

• Administrators
The home church is a growing entity. I first encountered this in CT. A family began attending church very faithfully. I began a discipleship course with them. During this course I found out that they do not believe in organized religion, that they are "home Churched". The real reason they were in church was to befriend people in the church and convince them that church was not Biblical, that the husband was responsible to train and lead his family, not the church.

I am now in Michigan and there is a very large family attending our church of this same persuasion. They attend faithfully and have begun to develop relationships with other larger families in the church. I anticipate them doing the same thing, driving families out of the church. Unfortunately my pastor just isn't willing to deal with anything.

It is very frustrating to not have any good church in a 40 mile radius of my home. This church is at least solid in the text and teaching, they just take the typical BJU stand of no separation.

That is the biggest problem with this "back to home" movement. I love home schooling, and think if a family is led by God to do it, that's wonderful. But when it goes beyond that, there is trouble. Those people you referenced in the first paragraph were right that it is the husband's responsibility to train and lead his family, but as regards to the church, his responsibility is to make sure that the church is doctrinally straight before he puts his family in there.

These people don't understand that they are stirring up discord among the brethren! I wouldn't want to be in their shoes for anything!!!

• Members
that the husband was responsible to train and lead his family' date=' not the church.[/quote']
I don't buy into the "home church" movement as we are discussing here but, I really hope I'm just not understanding what you are trying to say with that statement, because my Bible says it is the Husband/Fathers responsibility to train/lead his family and watch over his families spiritual welfare. It is not the churches responsibility to train the family. And it is my responsibility to make sure my family is attending a sound church. My Pastor has to answer for his flock, but I personally have to answer to God for my Family. So I hope I'm just misunderstanding your statement, cause it reads like you are saying it is the churches responsibility to lead my family.

C

• Moderators

This was all clarified well enough that it would be redundant for me to add to it, I do want to mention, however, that in many heavily persecuted countries the churches have had to meet in homes --- but they are not the same as this "home church" movement.

• Members

Pastor J; we have seen this happen as well. It is so sad. These people usually come in seeming " Oh so spiritual " and begin working on people behind the Pastors back. :sad

• Members

This part is news to me. When did BJU stop teaching worldly separation or I suppose what I would like to see is the storyline for this. Do you have a link?

Guest Guest

This part is news to me. When did BJU stop teaching worldly separation or I suppose what I would like to see is the storyline for this. Do you have a link?

I was wondering the same thing. :loco

• Members

Once when on holiday in Normandy, we me a Frenchman who Told us all about churches for miles around, even the starting times and which ones were pentecostal/charismatic.

He said when he became a christian he did not understand the bible until he read Darby. He did not attend church and when we invited him to come to church with us, said "I worship God here."

When I tried to get out of him what he believed he said "I am a student of all christianity." and used to study christian teaching at the local Mediatech.

When we left he gave us a list of all the places in the scriptures where it says the the church met in a home.

David

• Members

I believe home churches are probably more scriptural than what we have today. However this is not what I believe Lee-Anne is concerned about. IT is the attitude of the people that are doing this. It has very little to do with what God what's and all to do with them not wanting to come under the authority of a called Godly man. The fact that they go into a church and convince people they are wrong is devisive and not of God. Our current building that we are renting is falling apart and soon we will have to find somewhere else. I have no problem with this being done in a home even in my home, however the bible outlines the structure, one pastor etc and this should be adhered to.

Just my :2cents worth.

God Bless

Blossom