• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Spaghetti/Pasta Sauce

• Members
Do you make your own?

Doctor up somebody else's?

Open up a jar/can?

I use Hunts regular flavor and add ground beef and spicy sausage to it. Everybody here loves it so I guess that is what counts. :frog

Yes indeedy. :Green I know your expertise with the culinary arts, Jess. :clap: I know that your "special sauce" would be exceptionally tasty. :thumb

My wife, who is much better in the kitchen than I could ever hope to be, makes hers in the very same way as you do. She adds ground beef (lots of it, b/c she knows how much I like it :lol: ), mushrooms and cheeses, and simmers to marinate it in the crock-pot on low for a good long time.

I make my own strange concoction with lots of weird stuff, and she will not touch it if I put bell peppers in it. If I leave those out she likes it quite well, however. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

I make mine from scratch and put in grape jelly, unsweetened applesauce, several completely finely-shredded carrots and other strange things. :Green

• Members
I make it. It takes awhile and cooks for several hours.

That's what I do too. :Green I simmer it all night long and the shredded carrots are completely dissolved to nothing. The ten-quart kettle I cook it in loses about 3/4 of inch of liquid from the all-night cooking, but that's ok, it just makes it thicker and richer. :lol

• Members

We get the Ragu from Sam's Club and add hamburger and make a big pot of it so there's leftovers for lunch the next day. :lol Course as the boys grow I doubt there will be leftovers...we have gone to having a big pot of it leftover to only having just enough for lunch. haha.

• Members
We get the Ragu from Sam's Club and add hamburger and make a big pot of it so there's leftovers for lunch the next day. :lol Course as the boys grow I doubt there will be leftovers...we have gone to having a big pot of it leftover to only having just enough for lunch. haha.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, with four boys growing into teenagers you'll need a huuuuuuge pot, something like my 12 quart kettle. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I bought a set of 3 stock-pots from Heartland many years ago. They are 8 qt, 10 qt, and 12 qt. :lol They cost almost nothing, but are worth their weight in gold for what I use them for. :thumb

• Members
I make it. It takes awhile and cooks for several hours. If I am in a hurry then I will by some in a jar and doctor it up.

Exactly. The jar's for only if you're in a big hurry.

Bring to a boil, and let is simmer on low for three hours (with a bay leaf). Everyone else seems to do this, too, but brown sugar is the key. :thumb

• 1 month later...
  • Members

My old Betty Crocker cookbook has a spaghetti sauce recipe that is to die for, but, I usually use sauce in a jar or can. I always used to buy Prego because it has a wonderful flavor, but there is something in it I am allergic to. It keeps me wide awake when I should be asleep, so, I buy Hunts. It is almost as rich tasting and it doesn't keep me awake. I use Hunts and put ground round in it and let it simmer for a while. Deeelicious. CJP56

• Members

My best friend in highschool was Italian. Try as i may I tried to replicate her mother's pasta sauce. She recently gave me her recipe and might I just say; it is to die for! My oldest son just loves Italian food and it has his BIG stamp of approval! :Green :Green :Green :Green

• Members
My best friend in highschool was Italian. Try as i may I tried to replicate her mother's pasta sauce. She recently gave me her recipe and might I just say; it is to die for! My oldest son just loves Italian food and it has his BIG stamp of approval! :Green :Green :Green :Green

My grandmother was Italian. She taught my dad to cook (for the family catering business), then they both taught my mom to cook. So when it comes to Italian food, it's usually homemade.

• Administrators

I usually will start with a jar of sauce, just for the thickness, and then I will add tomato sauce, onions, garlic, peppers and ground sirloin. Put it in a crock pot and let her cook all day. Mmmmmmm -pour it over some angel hair pasta, add some parmesan cheese and a slice of garlic toast. Nummy!!! When I don't have the extra tomato sauce, I just use two jars of sauce. Prego or Barilla are my sauces of choice.