• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Paulicians

Will

• Members

From what I have read, the Pauicians were post-apostolic and maybe baptistic and I use that phrase loosely. All they had were the Pauline Epistle (from my understanding) and that is why they were thus named. So, they may have had some holes in their theology. I would deam them, "baptistic" at best.

• Members
From what I have read' date=' the Pauicians were post-apostolic and maybe baptistic and I use that phrase loosely. All they had were the Pauline Epistle (from my understanding) and that is why they were thus named. So, they may have had some holes in their theology. I would deam them, "baptistic" at best.[/quote']
I have their 'church manual,' "The Key of Truth." It makes for interesting reading. If you give me a specific topic(ie, Baptism) to look up I can likely find it if it's in there.

• Members

In most "baptist" lineage, I've seen paulicans included. Usually after Montanists, before Albigenses. I have some books, but never bothered reading them. Of things I care about, this one is so far down my list I'm pretty sure I'd study fruit flies before lineage.

It's not a bad topic, and it does help some people, but I care more about where we are going then where we've been. And it doesn't help my faith at all that we have "always been around just not with the same name" I could care less if 800 years ago there was a good church, I just want my church today to be a good church.

But, sense I do have a couple books, if there is anything i can add, I will be happy too. And honestly, knowing specifics always grabs my interest so Will has drawn my attention, thus I'm posting.

Will, of course you don't have to type it verbatim, what is the paulican view on pastoral authority?

• Members

The Key of Truth(the Paulician church manual) does not address the topic of church elders expressly. However, after having looked through the book, it's quite obvious that their idea of pastors/elders was similar to something we believe today. Church leaders were responsible for safeguarding the flock, teaching doctrine, etc. However, unlike most modern Baptists(Baptists prior to about the 1850's), they seemed to have a plurality of elders.

Some of the topics covered in the book are:
On the rite of Baptism
Who may receive Baptism
Repentance and Faith required for Baptism
On the three sacraments or mysteries
On the ceremony of name giving on the 8th day after birth
On the rite of election
Regulations for candidates of election
On the creation of Adam and our Lord
Sayings about Mary
Against the abuses of the Orthodox Church
The Orthodox led by Satan