• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

reinforced pulpit

• Moderators

I don't stay behind the pulpit enough during preaching for it to offer much protection. I've been preaching while armed for many years. We have people stratigically seated and an armed sound man. Every one knows their zone of responsibility. About 6 yrs ago we had to have a non-lethal takedown and disarm to protect a SS teacher from a knife. No damage done (except for the assailant's dislocated shoulder, torn ligaments and tendons).

• Members

Some have already hit upon what I was thinking. What about the congregation?

Also, most of the time our pastor (as well as many other pastors) is not behind the pulpit.

And, a pastor is more likely to get hurt or killed in a car accident than someone shooting him at church.

I know Pastor John Hagee has some odd things out there these days, but in his earlier days he was preaching when a man came at him with a pistol. The man demanded Pastor Hagee get on his knees, Hagee refused. The man threatened Hagee and Hagee preached and prayed. When the man fired his gun at Pastor Hagee, Hagee stood still praying. From a distance of only a few feet the man emptied his gun and not a single bullet hit Pastor Hagee.

During the police investigation it was determined that half the shots went just a little left and half went a just a little right. Pastor Hagee has pondered whether the Lord might have had an angel between him and the gunman deflecting each shot.

(No endorsement of Pastor Hagee, just something regarding a pastor and a shooting. In this instance, I believe Pastor Hagee showed great faith.)

• Members

God is still on the throne. We have to abide by the laws established by our government. Within the law we have ways to insure the congregation is protected. It's a shame churches have to be concerned with this but, the Lord told us about it.

• Members
The Bible specifically says weapons were stored and kept in the church as a regular practice.....its a shame it is coming to that' date=' but not at all surprising.[/quote']

Would you have a specific Bible reference or two concerning this?

• Members

I assume he is speaking of the sword of Goliath, and this too.

"2 Chronicles 23:9 Moreover Jehoiada the priest delivered to the captains of hundreds spears, and bucklers, and shields, that had been king David's, which were in the house of God."

In both cases these were items dedicated to God and later used in a time of need.