• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Great Quotes

tired

• Members

I didn't know where to put this, but I figured this always helps me with my devotions so here it is.
Our Lord sent His disciples out as sheep among wolves; now the wolves are being invited into the sheepfold.- Vance Havner
There is a trend today that would put a new robe on the prodigal son while he is still feeding hogs. Some would put the ring on his finger while he still in the pigsty. Others would paint the pigsty and advocate bigger and better hogpens.- Vance Havner
The conversion of one soul is worth the labour of a life time. 'Unto us is this favour given that we should preach among the gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ.' Hold on, therefore; be steady in your work, and leave the result with God." "Be encouraged, my dear son. Devote yourself wholly to your work. For this is the cause God has had in His mind from eternity, and for which Christ shed His blood, and for which the Spirit and the Word were given. So its triumph is certain."

--William Carey
The most miserable person in the world is a person who is saved who knows what it is to walk with the Lord, and then walks away."- Chris Haizlip

My Lord Jesus Christ died for me on the cross, and how can I to keep my mouth shut?"-Henry John
"I believe every one of you ought to learn to use the word hallelujah."

Harold Sightler

• Members

That is what I wanted some favorite quotes.

We are not being unkind when we contend for the faith."

Ed Johnson Jr.
"Any pleasure that would keep you from Christ is a sinful pleasure that will doubtless cause you anguish, heartache, tears and remorse."

Bill Rice

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

That idea about "non-essentials" is wicked and rebellious. Cast it from you; go without the camp. Be particular in every point. To the tiniest jot and tittle seek to obey your Master's will, and seek his grace that you may walk in the way of his commandments with a perfect heart. But then, if you do walk according to this rule, others will say, "You are so bigoted".
Thus reply to them: "I am very bigoted over myself, but I never claim any authority over you. To your own Master you stand or fall, and I do the same".

If it be bigotry to hold decisive views about God's truth, and to be obedient in every particular, as far as God the Spirit has taught me,
if that be bigotry - all hail bigotry! - a most hallowed thing.

--Charles Spurgeon, The Tabernacle - Without The Camp

• Members

?When a sinner wanders into the church and sits through skits, mimes, interpretive dances, and the like, and yet never hears a clear, convicting message about his dangerous and tenuous spiritual situation? that he is a depraved sinner headed for an eternal fire because he is a daily offense to a holy God? how can that be called successful? You could achieve the same level of success by sending a cancer patient to receive treatment from a group of children playing doctor. A sinner must understand the imminent danger he is in if he is ever to look to the Savior. What?s worse is when seeker-focused churches baptize the masses with their watered-down gospel, assuring them that positive decisions, feelings, or affirmations about Christ equal genuine conversion. There are now multitudes who are not authentic Christians identifying with the church. As you set your strategy for church ministry, you dare not overlook the primary means of church growth: the straightforward, Christ-centered proclamation of the unadulterated Word of God.?
- John MacArthur

?What fools are they who, for a drop of pleasure, drink a sea of wrath.?
- Thomas Watson

• Members

He who would have a fruitful ministry must have clear shining after the rain, by which I mean, first, law, and then, gospel. We must preach plainly against sin. In our ministry there must be rain, we must have the clouds and darkness, and divine justice bearing heavily upon the sinner's conscience. Then comes in Christ crucified, full atonement, simple faith, and clear shining of comfort to the believing sinner. But there must be the rain first. He who preaches all sweetness and all love, and has nothing to do with warning men of the consequences of sin, may be thought to be very loving; but, in truth, he is altogether unfaithful to the souls of men. I do not suppose that any of you women can sew without needles. Yet your object is not simply to get the needle into the stuff, is it? No; you want to get in a bit of cotton, or thread, or silk. Well, now, try whether you can sew with a piece of silk alone. You cannot do so. You must put in the needle first, must you not? And he who would do any work for God, must have a sharp needle, as he deals plainly with the sin of man, and he must then draw after it the silken thread of the gospel of Christ. There must be rain first, and clear shining afterwards."

--Charles H. Spurgeon

• Members

I got this off Steve Camps site and thought it was pretty powerful

reformation begins in the local church

THE PREACHER
"Make him a minister of the Word. Fling him into his office. Tear the ?Office? sign from the door, and nail on the sign, ?Study.? Take him off the mailing list. Lock him up with his books and his typewriter and his Bible. Slam him down on his knees before texts and broken hearts and flick of lives of a superficial flock and a holy God.

Force him to be the one man in our surfeited communities who knows about God. Throw him into the ring to box with God until he learns how short his arms are. Engage him to wrestle with God all the night through. And let him come out only when he?s bruised and beaten into being a blessing.

Set a time clock on him that will imprison him with thought and writing about God for forty hours a week. Shut his mouth forever spouting remarks, and stop his tongue forever tripping lightly over every nonessential. Require him to have something to say before he dares break the silence. Bend his knees in the lonesome valley.

Fire him from the PTA. and cancel his country club membership. Burn his eyes with weary study. Wreck his emotional poise with worry for God. And make him exchange his pious stance for a humble walk with God and man. Make him spend and be spent for the glory of God. Rip out his telephone. Burn up his ecclesiastical success sheets. Defuse his glad hand.

Put water in his gas tank. Give him a Bible and tie him to the pulpit. And make him preach the Word of the Living God!

Test him. Quiz him. Examine him. Humiliate him for his ignorance of things divine. Shame him for his good comprehension of finances, batting averages, and political in-fighting. Laugh at his frustrated effort to play psychiatrist. Form a choir and raise a chant and haunt him with it night and day-?Sir, we would see Jesus.?

When at long last he dares assay the pulpit, ask him if he has a word from God. If he does not, then dismiss him. Tell him you can read the morning paper, and digest the television commentaries, and think through the day?s superficial problems, and manage the community?s weary drives, and bless the sordid baked potatoes and green beans, ad infinitum, batter than he can.

Command him not to come back until he?s read and reread, written and rewritten, until he can stand up, worn and forlorn, and say, ?Thus saith the Lord.?

Break him across the board of his ill-gotten popularity. Smack him hard with his own prestige. Corner him with questions about God. Cover him with demands for celestial wisdom. And give him no escape until he?s back against the wall of the Word.

And sit down before him and listen to the only word he has left-God?s Word. Let him be totally ignorant of the downstreet gossip, but give him a chapter and order him to walk around it, camp on it, sup with it, and come at last to speak it backward and forward, until all he says about it rings with the truth of eternity.

?And when he?s burned out by the flaming Word, when he?s consumed at last by the fiery grace blazing through him, and when he?s privileged to translate the truth of God to man, finally transferred from earth to heaven, then bear him away gently and blow a muted trumpet and lay him down softly. Place a two-edged sword on his coffin, and raise the tomb triumphant. For he was a brave soldier of the Word. And ere he died, he had become a spokesman for his God."

• Members

?The trouble with all false evangelism is that it does not start with doctrine, it does not start by realizing man?s condition. All fleshly, carnal, man-made evangelism is the result of inadequate understanding of what the apostle teaches us in the first ten verses of this second chapter of Ephesians.

If you and I but realized that every man who is yet a sinner is absolutely dominated by ?the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience?, if we only understood that he is really a child of wrath and dead in trespasses and sins, we would realize that only one power can deal with such an individual, and that is the power of God, the power of the Holy Ghost. And so we would put our confidence, not in man-made organizations, but in the power of God, in the prayer that holds on to God and asks for revival and a descent of the Spirit. We would realize that nothing else can do it.

We can change men superficially, we can win men to our side and to our party, we can persuade them to join a church, but we can never raise the spiritually dead; God alone can do that. The realization of these truths would of necessity determine and control all our evangelism.?
-Martin Lloyd Jones

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Divisions and separations are most objectionable in religion. They weaken the cause of true Christianity.- But before we blame people for them, we must be careful that we lay the blame where it is deserved. False doctrine and heresy are even worse than schism. If people separate themselves from teaching which is positively false and unscriptural, they ought to be praised rather than reproved. In such cases separation is a virtue and not a sin.

The old saying must never be forgotten, ?He is the schismatic who causes the schism?? Controversy in religion is a hateful thing? But there is one thing which is even worse than controversy, and that is false doctrine, allowed, and permitted without protest or molestation.?
- Iain Murray

• Members

Screw the truth into men's minds."

RICHARD BAXTER
Christ is the most cheap physician, he takes no fee. He desires us to bring nothing to him but broken hearts; and when he has cured us he desires us to bestow nothing on him but our love."

THOMAS WATSON
"If we would talk less and pray more about them, things would be be better than they are in the world; at least, we should be better enabled to bear them."

JOHN OWEN
"Faith, without trouble or fighting, is a suspicious faith; for true faith is a fighting, wrestling faith."

RALPH ERSKINE
Most of God's people are contented to be saved from the hell that is without; they are not so anxious to be saved from the hell that is within."

ROBERT MURRAY MCCHEYNE
"If a wicked man seems to have peace at death, it is not from the knowledge of his happiness, but from the ingnorance of his danger."

THOMAS WATSON

• Members
Divisions and separations are most objectionable in religion. They weaken the cause of true Christianity.- But before we blame people for them, we must be careful that we lay the blame where it is deserved. False doctrine and heresy are even worse than schism. If people separate themselves from teaching which is positively false and unscriptural, they ought to be praised rather than reproved. In such cases separation is a virtue and not a sin.

The old saying must never be forgotten, ?He is the schismatic who causes the schism?? Controversy in religion is a hateful thing? But there is one thing which is even worse than controversy, and that is false doctrine, allowed, and permitted without protest or molestation.?
- Iain Murray

I love that quote!

Here's one of my favorites:

You never know how much you really believe anything until its truth or falsehood become a matter of life and death to you. ? C. S. Lewis

• Members

A.W Tozer-
The philosopher Socrates said, "An unexamined life is not worth living." If a common philosopher could think that, how much more we Christians ought to listen to the Holy Spirit when He says, "Examine yourself." An unexamined Christian lies like an unattended garden. Let your garden go unattended for a few months, and you will not have roses and tomatoes but weeds.

An unexamined Christian life is like an unkempt house. Lock your house up as tight as you will and leave it long enough, and when you come back you will not believe the dirt that got in from somewhere. An unexamined Christian is like an untaught child. A child that is not taught will be a little savage. It takes examination, teaching, instruction, discipline, caring, tending, weeding and cultivating to keep the life right. RRR043.

"Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me, and know my anxieties; and see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. Amen"