• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Need help with how to reply to this...

• Members

Please forgive me I am really sick and my head isnt working properly on NO sleep with a 2 year old, and a 2 month old with all of us having bronchitis! I got an email from an old friend this morning and in it she was telling everyone to go to a non-denom church that believes the bible. So I emailed her back asking why she would specificlly say non-denom? This was her reply. I need help replying back to it! Thanks
Sheila

Her Response:

I like non-denominational churches because we believe every word in the
Bible was inspired by God as where some other denominations pick certain
parts of the Bible they believe in like the Catholics, etc. I went to a
Baptist church before where you had to be baptized to be a member.
Baptism is a symbol of dying to the flesh and being raised again in
Christ. You should be able to be a member of a church, but baptism is a
choice a person has to make when they are ready to lay down their lives
and to be reborn with Christ. That's why I go to Lakewood. Before
Lakewood I attended 2 other non-denominational churches that are all
spirit filled and still believe in speaking in tongues, etc.

• Members

A non-denominational church is simply a deception. When all churches in a particular group adhere to the same beliefs and practices, that is a denomination! (No matter what else they want to call it...) Sounds like this person wants a charismatic church to go to.

There were denominations in the Bible too (Sadducees, Pharisees). Jesus did not rebuke them for their label or desire to hold to certain truths, etc. - He chewed them out for their deception, compromise, false teachings, hypocrisy, etc.

• Members
Please forgive me I am really sick and my head isnt working properly on NO sleep with a 2 year old, and a 2 month old with all of us having bronchitis! I got an email from an old friend this morning and in it she was telling everyone to go to a non-denom church that believes the bible. So I emailed her back asking why she would specificlly say non-denom? This was her reply. I need help replying back to it! Thanks
Sheila

Her Response:

I like non-denominational churches because we believe every word in the
Bible was inspired by God as where some other denominations pick certain
parts of the Bible they believe in like the Catholics, etc. I went to a
Baptist church before where you had to be baptized to be a member.
Baptism is a symbol of dying to the flesh and being raised again in
Christ. You should be able to be a member of a church, but baptism is a
choice a person has to make when they are ready to lay down their lives
and to be reborn with Christ. That's why I go to Lakewood. Before
Lakewood I attended 2 other non-denominational churches that are all
spirit filled and still believe in speaking in tongues, etc.

First, I must say, "wow".

Second, let's look at what the scriptures teach:

Acts 2:41-42

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

• Members

I wrote the following out for a discussion on a message board a long time ago and saved it, and later used it as a blog post. It explains why denominations are not a bad thing.

When choosing a denomination you have to keep in mind that theology is only one aspect of the differences between the various Christian denominations. Below are the main differences:

Organizational Structure
Some denominations are structured from the top down, with the local church under the authority of a regional group, which is in turn under the authority of a national group, which would then be under the authority of the main leadership. That's called a presbyterian style denomination.

Other denominations are structured from the bottom up with the local church having almost complete autonomy (the only limits being whether or not they are allowed to claim that they belong to the denomination), and the local church sends representatives to decide issues for the regional, national and main leadership. This is called a congregationalist type structure.

Then some churches have no part in any organization beyond the local church.

Worship Style
Some denominations practice a very liturgical, tradition worship that focuses on solemn reverence.

Some denominations practice a more relaxed but still traditional worship that incorporates moments of solemnity as well as measured celebratory praise.

Some denominations practice a very robust worship focusing mainly on expressive celebratory praise.

Mission Funding
Some denominations fund their missions work collectively. This is very efficient, but lacks the personal involvement of individual members and congregations

Some denominations fund their mission work through the individual churches. This tends to be inefficient, but offers a special relationship between the missionaries and the local congregation, and allows the local church to feel more a part of the mission work.

Theology
While this is obviously the most important, it also tends to be the easiest. Unfortunately it also is something some people fail to take as seriously as it should be taken. Find out what the denominations you are looking at teach, from their material as well as outside sources that list numerous denominations. The church you attend will be like the food you eat -- what's the best looking or tasting is not always the healthiest.

Also seriously consider that there comes a point when a Christian needs to move from being ministered to, to ministering. Coasting is never a virtue in following Jesus Christ.

Conclusion
The denominational identities and labels serve to identify these characteristics of individual congregations and therefore are an aid to worship, not an excuse for division. Those that claim that any denominational label is divisive (namely those who dubiously claim to be non-denominational) are themselves causing division by ignoring the variety of ways other Christian choose to worship, organize, support missions or believe.