• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is Norton this unethical?

Anon

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Well with all this AVG talk ,last night I dumped me avast .I downloaded all the AVG that was free.I started scanning last night ,this morning its still scanning .I guess I must have picked up lots of stuff,because I didn't think it would take this long .

• Members

Okay, this is real important......I too, recently picked up a virus from Java 6.02; I was working one night a couple of weeks ago, and noticed the "java update icon" in my tray, so I clicked on it and continued what I was doing. It wasn't until the next day, when I was back on the computer, that 4 trojans had come in through Java 6.02. My system restore or recover would not work, so I had to find a "free" demo of a drive scrubber online. They are out there, but the demo versions will only allow you to scrub one drive; I scrubbed "D", and then used my recovery disks to reboot the system back up. I lost everything that was on the system; but, I had CD copies of important data and files already available. It is a wise thing to occasionally create a "files" CD of what you have in memory, because if it becomes necessary to reboot, then you can reinstall them later.

• Members

I might add another note......AVG Free did it's job; it warned of these 4 trojans, and I confined them to the virus vault to access them. Two were able to be wiped, but two required that I downloaded a "malicous virus removal tool" from Microsoft. It cleared them up, but my system recover still would not work, so that let me know that they had anchored behind the recovery partititon. That is why a system scrub was in order. If you do not know how to do this, I will post the instructions later for this.

• Members
I might add another note......AVG Free did it's job; it warned of these 4 trojans' date=' and I confined them to the virus vault to access them. Two were able to be wiped, but two required that I downloaded a "malicous virus removal tool" from Microsoft. It cleared them up, but my system recover still would not work, so that let me know that they had anchored behind the recovery partititon. That is why a system scrub was in order. If you do not know how to do this, I will post the instructions later for this.[/quote']

Ok I rebooted my computer ,then I did the AVG scan .I have 4 of those trojan /java things .I don't know how to move them to the vault .I did click on some and one read that it couldn't be healed .

• Members
I looked up AVG free and all it has is virus protection.. I want firewall and spam and pop up protection too.

I downloaded the anti virus and the anti spyware,and the rootkill.
I think the other things you want you have to pay for them .

• Members
All of them are unethical to an extent; they are simply utilizing what they call marketing to keep you coming back to them; I would recommend AVG Free; I have been using it now for five years and no problems; the only real difference between AVG Free and the Pro version is that you don't have access to the tech support. No biggy....AVG runs flawless.

I do not recommend anyone's Virus suite; they are good, but just have way too much activity going on in the background that will slow your system without you knowing it. To get rid of Norton or Mcafee completely, you will have to uninstall from the contorl panel and then go into C drive and click on programs and look for the folder and also delete it there. These companies "anchor" profile and setup data in your memory that allows them to "come back"

Registry Cleaner........my choice is Registry Mechanic

Downloaded Registry Mechanic....found over 300 errors...and won't fix them unless I buy it. WAHHH! :-) I don't think I can do that right now. Anything free anyone knows of?

• Members

As for your RM code.......I have this one reserved for your download: It is only available for your download.....RK4X-EAJK-AJRD-4YE9-FEKY-7A9D-CXRK-K93D

My compliments, use it and enjoy. Incidently, I am leaving in a couple of hours, flying to Florida for a business meeting and will be off of the forums till about mid week next week. :clap::clap: :clap: