• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

All this about spanking wives to discipline...

Guest Guest

Guest Guest
What is in a christian marriage?

Huh? Would you care to clarify that question?

What do you mean' date=' pixie?[/quote']

Tell me that you did not feel like you were reading a Patch the Pirate script just then... :wink

Guest Guest

This subject has come such a big one here. I guess I'm asking when has a line been crossed? I had never heard of this discipline but I never saw anyone say it was actually unbiblical between a husband and wife both consenting. So I quess I'm asking when the discipline of a wife becomes unbiblical ? pixiedust

• Members

I think when you put your hands on her to beat her or "get your point across" then it is unbiblical in my view.
Eph 5
"25": Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

"26": That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

"27": That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

"28": So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.

"29": For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:

"30": For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.

"31": For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

"32": This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

"33": Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.

• Members
This subject has come such a big one here. I guess I'm asking when has a line been crossed? I had never heard of this discipline but I never saw anyone say it was actually unbiblical between a husband and wife both consenting. So I quess I'm asking when the discipline of a wife becomes unbiblical ? pixiedust

Let me ask you this, where is it commanded in scripture? We are clearly taught to discipline our children. No where is it commanded that the husband disciple his wife. He leaves that in the hands of Jesus who is always just and who is always holy.

• Administrators

As has been pointed out, the Bible specifically commands parents (that is both husband and wife) to discipline and rear their children. And there is nothing consensual about it. God commands parents to do it, and kids don't get a say in it!

If it were truly Biblical for a husband to physically discipline his wife, I do believe that God would have included it in His words to husbands and wives about how to conduct themselves. It would have been easy to insert the point of physical discipline when He spoke of husbands dwelling with their wives with knowledge, giving honor to the weaker vessel - something added here about chastisement if necessary would have been quite suitable. But God didn't add that. Why? Well, it's opinion only, but IMO, it's because that's not what He intended.

God isn't shy about saying what He wants us to do, how He wants us to be. And if He thought physically spanking a wife would cause a marriage to be better, than I think He would have stated it so.

The very term "consenting" lends itself to a sexual connotation, as some have noted. I think that is where this goes in those marriages that practice it, to be honest. And why would that be bad? If they want to do it in the privacy of their bedroom, God says the marriage bed is honorable in all. But in this day and age, I don't think it's a wise thing...sadism and masochism are very real, very degrading activities, and this sounds like the cusp of it. As was noted before, marriage is a picture of Christ and the church. Christ never degrades his bride, and neither ought a husband.

"Husbands love your wives as Christ loved the church."

• Moderators

The people that I have known (2 couples) who were advocates / participants of CDD use Rev (and to a lesser degree Heb) as their justification (w/ a sidetracking of Eph).

What must be remembered is that we as the Bride is the church (a collective body), the passages dealing w/ chastisement are dealing w/ his children (we as believers individually are children of God).

• Members

As far as sexual goes, is there any spanking going on in the Song of Solomon?
And the Bible says to honour your wife. When these dudes spank their wives, are they showing honour?
Men who hit their wives don't deserve to have a wife and to spank a wife, is to treat her as a child.

1Pe 3:7 Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with [them] according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.