• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What if someone gets saved but then commits a sin?

Guest Guest

• Members

Jerry, what are you referring to when you say "continuely living in sin"?

It would be better to discuss what the passage is referring to. The passage is stating that no true believer is going to continue in sin, ie. an ongoing walk in sin.

Believers sin - but they do not have a lifestyle of sin.

The Bible does not say the gossip will not inherit the kingdom of Heaven - but it does say fornicators, idolators, drunkards, those involved in sorcery, etc. - those are what we would call lifestyle sins.

What happens if a true child of God does not repent of their gossip (or any other sin)? God will chastise them to various degrees until they make that sin right. The last step for the unrepentant believer is death (which the Bible calls "the sin unto death" - ie. the sin that results in their death due to God's chastisement of them).

Please clarify something for me Jerry; I do not wish to assume you are saying something that you are not saying.

I know that you believe "once saved always saved," but are you saying that if a Christian does not repent even after the Lord's chastisement that He (the Lord) will (as a final step) kill the Christians as punishment and that at that time the person will go to heaven?

If that is the case wouldn't it make much more sense to sin in order for the Lord to "take you out" so that you can enjoy heaven, after all, heaven is much better than anything we have here on earth. (I trust we both would agree with that fact: heaven being better)

• Members

There are simply too many passages that prove 1. that obedience (including baptism) is required by God and 2. that one must remain faithful even to the point of death.

1. Baptism is not part of the requirements for salvation - but is a step of obedience afterwards. The thief on the cross was saved and he never got baptized. I was saved BEFORE I got baptized. If a true Christian does not get baptized, then they are not being obedient, but it does not effect their salvation.

2. The Bible does not teach that a believer must be faithful unto death to be saved - but to be rewarded.

Matthew 24:13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

This passage is referring to PHYSICAL SALVATION (which means "deliverance" - the passage will determine what type of "deliverance"/salvation is in view - not all are speaking of salvation from sins - see Psalm 18:3), not spiritual salvation. It is not speaking about the forgiveness of sins or eternal life, but of being spared the destruction and death caused by the Antichrist during the Tribulation period.

• Members

If that is the case wouldn't it make much more sense to sin in order for the Lord to "take you out" so that you can enjoy heaven, after all, heaven is much better than anything we have here on earth. (I trust we both would agree with that fact: heaven being better)

Maybe to a carnal or unsaved person...

• Members

I can't help but think about the conversation a coc pastor had with my pastor many years back. He told my pastor, "If I believed as you do, I would go out and do all those things that I want to do."

My pastor asked him, "What things are you talking about?"

The coc pastor replied, "You know, go drinking, chasing women, that is what I would do if I believe I could not lose my salvation."

My pastor replied, "If you would repent, accept Jesus as you Savior, God would make a new man out of you and you would not desire to do such things, but as long as your lost, that's exactly what you will desire to do."

Jerry, think about this, all of those member of the church of Christ living in fear of losing their salvation of which they have never had if, they're trusting in that baptizing for remission of sin to save them.

As for me, I'm not going to debate that topic with the coc, its a foolish thing to do, will not get no where, and that is the only reason he is here, to debate with the hopes of confusing someone enough they will follow his teachings. If I wanted to have such a debate I would go to a coc message board, but I don't do such things, all it causes is strife.

• Members

Jerry, inspite of your sly dodge, that is the logical conclusion to your assertion. If your death was the ultimate punishment and you could not be lost despite your sin then it would be logical just to sin and allow God to kill you so you could be in heaven which would be so much better than earth.

Of course, I do not agree with your assertion and so I would not recommend anyone sinning since that would cause one to fall away.

• Members

I can't help but think about the conversation a coc pastor had with my pastor many years back. He told my pastor, "If I believed as you do, I would go out and do all those things that I want to do."

My pastor asked him, "What things are you talking about?"

The coc pastor replied, "You know, go drinking, chasing women, that is what I would do if I believe I could not lose my salvation."

My pastor replied, "If you would repent, accept Jesus as you Savior, God would make a new man out of you and you would not desire to do such things, but as long as your lost, that's exactly what you will desire to do."

Jerry, think about this, all of those member of the church of Christ living in fear of losing their salvation of which they have never had if, they're trusting in that baptizing for remission of sin to save them.

As for me, I'm not going to debate that topic with the coc, its a foolish thing to do, will not get no where, and that is the only reason he is here, to debate with the hopes of confusing someone enough they will follow his teachings. If I wanted to have such a debate I would go to a coc message board, but I don't do such things, all it causes is strife.

Jerry, Since I know nothing of this

• Members

There are simply too many passages that prove 1. that obedience (including baptism) is required by God and 2. that one must remain faithful even to the point of death.

1. Baptism is not part of the requirements for salvation - but is a step of obedience afterwards. The thief on the cross was saved and he never got baptized. I was saved BEFORE I got baptized. If a true Christian does not get baptized, then they are not being obedient, but it does not effect their salvation.

2. The Bible does not teach that a believer must be faithful unto death to be saved - but to be rewarded.

Matthew 24:13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

This passage is referring to PHYSICAL SALVATION (which means "deliverance" - the passage will determine what type of "deliverance"/salvation is in view - not all are speaking of salvation from sins - see Psalm 18:3), not spiritual salvation. It is not speaking about the forgiveness of sins or eternal life, but of being spared the destruction and death caused by the Antichrist during the Tribulation period.

Jerry,

Baptism is a requirement in relation to salvation (Acts 2:38, 22:16, 16:30ff, Gal 3;27, Rom 6:3ff, Col 2:12; 1 Peter 3:20-21). As to the thief on the cross: 1. you can not prove that this man was not baptized, of course I can not prove that he was either and 2: what if he was not baptized? He was not a member of the Christian dispensation. Moses and those under the Jewish dispensation were required to make animal sacrifices. Do you make them? I trust that you don't and that you know that you do not have to. Why? Because you are not under that dispensation.

So, one can fail to be faithful unto death and not be lost but will not recieve reward? What reward could possibly be better than getting into heaven? I suggest you look at the passages that I listed for heartstrings. The Bible does not teach that one can sin and not be lost. I suggest you study Isa 59:1-2; 6:23. These passages teach what sin will do; they teach us that we are lost if we sin.

• Members

No sir, the Devil and his angels are doomed to Hell and they know it. They also know the true way to salvation....that's why they influence individuals, such as yourself, to spread false doctrine. I implore you, sir; admit where are at this point, and put your trust in Jesus alone for salvation before its' too late.

• Members

No sir, the Devil and his angels are doomed to Hell and they know it. They also know the true way to salvation....that's why they influence individuals, such as yourself, to spread false doctrine. I implore you, sir; admit where are at this point, and put your trust in Jesus alone for salvation before its' too late.

I am glad that you and I can agree on the fact that the Devil/demons are lost and doomed to hello. That being said, I must say that you are not being consistant. By your argument that belief is enough (which you really don't hold anyway since you add the sinners prayer and other things) the devils would have to be saved. But again, I do not agree with your view nor do I believe that the devils are saved.

I believe you have a misconception of me. I do trust in the Lord. I trust that He gave his life for me (John 10:17-18; Matt 27). I believe that He has provide me with the oportunity to be saved and that He has promised that if I will obey/trust in Him that I am added to his church and thus saved (Matt 7:21-23; Heb 5:8-9; Acts 2:47). I have trusted in Him and have been added to His church.

• Members

heartstrings, He will try to turn everything you say to what it does not mean, he is here to promote the teachings of the coc, and try to bring others into his false teachings.