• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

IFBs and "Re-Baptism" Question

• Members
jchahl. That's what you are being told and what I was told when I grew up in my Hyles grad church as a teenager. However, there's another kind of legalism that says if you don't do 1, 2, 3 & 4 you aren't "right with God". Or, if you do 1, 2, 3 or 4 you can't possibly be right with God, probably not even saved!

I was made right with God at my salvation. My heavenly Father has promised to keep me and love me forever. I can still disobey Him and He will chastise but He isn't some big ogre in the sky waiting to bonk us over the head with a baseball bat if we step out of line.

Are there commands in the N.T.? Of course. But not nearly the ones the Hyles movement commands. I was in the movement for 10 years and my experience was that many abominations were committed, many lies were told, many Scripture verses were ignored but as long as we got those numbers in, that is all that mattered. And above all, never question the "man of God".

MilkmanDan, I'm not in the habit of bad-mouthing churches but I firmly believe in exposing error and exposing wolves. If someone asked me about the Catholic church or the Charismatic church, I wouldn't hesitate to warn them of the error. Please, be very, very careful with this church. Not every Hyles church is like the ones I'm familiar with. I realize that. But there is a trend and a generalization that must not be ignored.

If you would like specific details, feel free to PM me. There are others on this board who have had the same or similar experiences.

:goodpost:

• Administrators

Milkman, the problem with the "Hyles" movement is that many of the churches have become man-centered. We are to submit to the pastor's authority, but many of them take it another couple of steps, and put the pastor on an almost equal (sometimes not just almost) level with God. Then, he can say and do anything and it's okay. Thus, many "rules" are added to the Christian life that don't need to be there. But let me make the point that those "rules" don't hurt unless they are the "formula" that is taught for being right with God.

I know of several excellent churches that are pastored by Hyles grads. I also know of many more that are not so excellent, and many that are really bad (like the one Bakers mentioned). But we can't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Just because someone graduated from a certain school doesn't mean they will follow that same line. Many do, yes. But not all of them.

Seth said it well.

As a note the mere fact that they may have extra-biblical standards that you or I may or may not agree with doesn't mean they must necessarily be extreme legalists, the problems only come when they try to tell someone else they "must" do or not do something that scripture or scriptural principles do not specify. For a couple examples, White shirts, sideburns no lower than the middle of the ear etc. There may not be anything wrong with these standards, and culturally they may have a good reason for doing or not doing them, but they are not something that you can tell people they "must" do to be right with God.

As you study the Bible, God will show you what you are to do. As far as being rebaptized, it could simply be because you were not baptized in a Baptist church. Many churches do this. Is it right? It would all depend on what is taught as to why the baptism took place in the first place. Sometimes it is just easier to make a flat requirement. That could be what this church does. Have you read the church's constitution and by-laws?

• Members

Know nothing about Hyles etc - that kind of factionalism doesn't seem to be much of a problem over here (although there is factionalism :puzzled: )

However to the "re-baptism" issue....

As Baptism simply is a testimony to those present of your faith in Christ, what is the big deal about being re-baptised?

Is there really any harm in being baptised again?

The only thing it will do for you is add you to that church, whilst testifying to your faith in Christ, and your willingness to submit to the God given authority of that Church.

In my experience, people who have a problem with being re-baptised fit into one of a few categories.
1. They beleive baptism is important to their salvation or security, and therefore you are questioning their salvation; or
2. They are unwilling to submit to authority; or
3. They have other doctrinal issues that they don't want to discuss.

I am not saying that this is your problem, nor are these the only issues that lead to this, but I have seen these come up time and again.

Also, when people begrudgingly assent to be re-baptised they usually end up causing problems in that church later on.

Make sure you understand and agree with the reasons before you commit.

If I had to move to another church and the Pastor there was not sure of my baptism ebing Biblical, and therefore wanted to re-baptise me and my family (except my little one - she is not saved yet!) then I would gladly submit to his authority.
Of course all of this rides on that church checking out on doctrinal issues. :wink

• Members

Naw the Pastor stated that the Re Baptism was for consistency.

In my book you wanna baptize me 15 times go ahead whats it gonna do?

I think i am gonna ask if we can go down by the river. We witnessed a river baptism the other day and lemme tell ya it was moving!!