• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Carrying Your Luggage To Heaven?

LindaR

• Members

I think we are all saying the same thing.True salvation leads to friut.A sinning Christian will receive chastiment.A truely saved person will feel the Holy Spirit conviction about sin when it is preached,a lost person will not.when a lost person gets saved
(at the time of salvation) will know that they are a sinner before a righteous God and that Jesus is their only hope.
Works in a saved person's life are the result of the Holy Spirit,not repentance(if some say repentance is to give up sin in order to be saved.)
I agree with Jerry,repentance is a changed mind about sin.When salvation comes fruit will follow because when a person is saved,they are indwelt by the Holy Spirit for the purpose of sanctification.
I disagree that there are 'certain' sins a person must stop doing in order to be saved,unless that sin is the rejection of the gospel,that cant be forginven if a person dies in their sin without Jesus.A person must have a changed mind about his way and turn to Gods way,and that includes all sin not just a handfull.The Holy Spirit does the work
of repentance and faith in the gospel when a person gets saved.

• Members
I disagree that there are 'certain' sins a person must stop doing in order to be saved' date='unless that sin is the rejection of the gospel,that cant be forginven if a person dies in their sin without Jesus.[/quote']

Consider what these verses state:

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Paul states here that these type of people will not inherit the kingdom of God (ie. not be saved) - that certainly indicates these specific sins must be turned from in order to even be saved. That makes sense, considering that some of these are sexual sins - and one of the reasons people get saved is because they have become convinced they have broken God's law and need a Saviour (thou shalt not commit adultery). If they had no intention of turning from these specific sins (ie. repentance), then why do they need the Saviour? Their desire for salvation is insincere.

Ephesians 5:5-6 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.

Galatians 5:19-21 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Revelation 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

These verses taken together indicate to me that there are things God wants us to turn from when we turn to Him. There is no such thing as a sodomite Christian. Why not? Because they had to turn from their sodomy to receive the Saviour. There is no such thing as an idolatrous Christian. Why not? Because they had to turn from their idols to receive the Saviour, the true God and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Lest anyone take my statements out of context - I believe these are referring to lifestyle sins, ie. ongoing sins in the lives of the lost. Yes, a Christian can commit any one of them - but there will be chastisement from God if they do so. However, I do not believe anyone can be saved if the Holy Spirit brings these sins to their attention (because they were currently part of the life of the individual) and they wilfully hold onto them while supposedly receiving the Saviour.

• Members

Nothing to disagree about there.If a person gets saves,the Holy spirit will convict someones heart about all manner of sin(thats why it's important to preach against sin IMO)so if a person says they said the sinners prayer but feel no conviction of their sinfull lifestyle, such as sodomy no salvation because they dont have the convicting work of the Holy Spirit because they have never been saved.Heres a good verse to prove your point Jerry,
Revalation 21:8"But the fearful,and unbelieving,and the abominable,and the murderers,and idolaters,and all liars,shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone;which is the second death."

Ill be honest I have told a lie since i was saved,but when I read this verse it convicts me that I need to get right with God and not lie,now I have even probably told lies after I have done this...but to make your good point..my LIFESTYLE will not be one of a liar.
Man this message board is cool :cooldude: .The sharing of Gods word to edify one another is a blessing! :amen: Sorry,I am one of the excitable types :smile