• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Still Standing: The Stonewall Jackson Story

• Members

His legacy as a military genius is widely renowned. Now, in Still Standing: The Stonewall Jackson Story, his legacy as a man of resolute Christian character is captured in this revealing documentary. Through stunning High Definition videography and expert narrative, Still Standing traces the life of Stonewall Jackson ? from his orphaned childhood, to the Sunday School class he taught for African Americans that has resulted in a lasting impact today, to the pivotal role he played as a General in the Civil War. Still Standing inspires, entertains, and educates as it examines the life of a uniquely American hero.

http://www.franklinsprings.com/films/stillstanding/

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Stonewall Jackson Story, his legacy as a man of resolute Christian character is captured in this revealing documentary.

I find it difficult to call a man who chose to fight for slavery, even, and perhaps especially, if "he didn't believe in it", a "great
Christian". :puzzled: I have heard jackson, lee, and other southern "heroes" glorified in various southern pulpits and I must say I don't like it.angry034.gif

It's just not right.

Before anyone says anything, I was born and raised in Texas which is about as "south" as you can get.

• Members

His legacy as a military genius is widely renowned. Now, in Still Standing: The Stonewall Jackson Story, his legacy as a man of resolute Christian character is captured in this revealing documentary. Through stunning High Definition videography and expert narrative, Still Standing traces the life of Stonewall Jackson ? from his orphaned childhood, to the Sunday School class he taught for African Americans that has resulted in a lasting impact today, to the pivotal role he played as a General in the Civil War. Still Standing inspires, entertains, and educates as it examines the life of a uniquely American hero.

http://www.franklinsprings.com/films/stillstanding/

I have been to those sites pictured - is it a "Ken Burns" style documentary film John, or more like a biographical movie like Gettysburg?

• Members

So I suppose that we are supposed to glorify that murderous General Sherman who robbed raped and pillaged his way across Georgia, attacking women and children and leveling everything in his path? He was a monster but there are many who hold him in high regard! Or perhaps Grant, Lincoln, or other hypocrites who claimed to be freeing slaves, when in realty they were doing no such thing? :flame:

I agree - it's just not right!!

So I suppose that we are supposed to glorify that murderous General Sherman who robbed raped and pillaged his way across Georgia, attacking women and children and leveling everything in his path?

No, lets stick to men that are known for their Godliness rather than attempt to color those who's name comes solely from being a "war hero" as "great Christians".

Or perhaps Grant, Lincoln, or other hypocrites who claimed to be freeing slaves, when in realty they were doing no such thing?

Regardless of WHY they freed the slaves, and I would not argue various political issues were just as important an issue to them as morals, the fact remains that that they DID free the slaves and it WAS an important issue to both sides. Many of today's southern sympathizers like to say that the war had nothing to do with slavery. However reading the newspapers of the time, both north and south, tells quite a different story. Of course slavery wasn't the ONLY big issue, but to say it was "not an issue at all" as some do today is very foolish. Just as abortion is a "killer clause" on the democrats(and liberal Republicans) side so was the issue of slavery a "killer clause" for the south in that day. No Christian should be glorified when they chose to fight for the morally wrong against the morally right.

• Members

If you study history you will find that slavery wasn't what that war was about. You will also find that Jackson, Lee and others had worked, and continued to work for the end of slavery before and during the War. Both men treated all men equally and worked to see that slave and free blacks had access to the Gospel and learned to read Scripture. Both men have excellent Christian testimonies.

The legacy of Jackson's teaching Scripture and reading of Scripture to black slaves (even though it was illegal at the time) lives on today in the generations of black Christians that came forth from his faithfulness to Christ.

General Lee helped to make it acceptable for blacks to attend and partake of the Lord's Supper within his home church.

Read some of the Christian writings of Lee and Jackson. Read some of the reports written by eyewittnesses and those who knew those men. They were of high Christian charactor and their Christian legacy has helped many to come to Christ and to serve Christ.

My wife proudly attended Robert E. Lee elementary school in Amarillo, Texas.

If you study history you will find that slavery wasn't what that war was about. You will also find that Jackson, Lee and others had worked, and continued to work for the end of slavery before and during the War.

I have and I haven't found that. I think the only way to reach that position is to look at the issue with southern tinted glasses... :cool I am glad its past anyway or I suspect we would be shooting each other up.... :frog

• Members

Lincolns Emancipation Proclomation freed no slaves. That proclamation declared slaves in the areas Lincoln had no control over to be free; therefore, they remained slaves. The areas that Lincoln did control were not effected by the Proclamation and slaves in those areas remained slaves.

Grant had slaves well past the end of war and didn't release them until an amendment to the Constitution forced him to. Grant also forced "liberated blacks" (which the Union called contraband) into labor parties and forced them to do backbreaking work for his army.

It's also an historical fact that thousands of black men were murdered by the Yankee army and thousands of black women were raped by the Yankee army. The leadership (Grant, Sherman, Lincoln) knew of this yet refused to put a stop to it.

Slavery was the "hot button issue" used to incite passions on both sides with regards to the fight over whether the Constitution was going to be followed or ignored and trampled upon.

If you also check history, you will find there was a strong abolition movement in the South working to bring about an end to slavery in the same manner all other civilized nations had previously ended slavery. However, the radical abolitionists in the north demanded an immediate end to slavery with no willingness to discuss anything other than that.

Had slavery been handled within the bounds of the Constitution and the model to end slavery as did Britian and other nations been followed, there never would have been a war, there wouldn't have been the barbarous "reconstruction" and race relations wouldn't have been destroyed to the nations great harm that hampers us to this very day.

• Members
:amen: Go John! The Emancipation Proclamation actually enraged many Northerners because the last sentence of the document allowed black men to take up arms and fight along side white soldiers. Many denounced Lincoln for taking the proclamation "too far!"

It's also interesting to read how the various northern cities and states enacted laws making it illegal for freed blacks to live within their borders. It seems even those who wanted the blacks freed, wanted them to stay in the South and not become their neighbors.

Lincolns Emancipation Proclomation freed no slaves. That proclamation declared slaves in the areas Lincoln had no control over to be free; therefore, they remained slaves.

Thats a little obvious don't you think? :bonk: Of course in the middle of the war the south isn't going to do anything that Lincoln said. The point of the proclamation was that it changed the legal status of slavery in the USA(the president could not free slaves in the union, congress had to do that). :loll:

However, the radical abolitionists in the north demanded an immediate end to slavery with no willingness to discuss anything other than that.

Lets put it this way, are you a radical abortion abolitionist that demands that an immediate end to abortion or do you think it should be "gradually fazed out" so as not to step on to many toes? Think "safe, legal, and rare" :roll

It's also an historical fact that thousands of black men were murdered by the Yankee army and thousands of black women were raped by the Yankee army. The leadership (Grant, Sherman, Lincoln) knew of this yet refused to put a stop to it.

I am not one to glorify the North either. Of course there was prejudice on both sides. North and south were both highly prejudiced by today's standards. Just look at some of the things that Lincoln said in his debates with Douglas, they would quickly get him branded a racist today, but at the time they were radical for their inclusiveness. That doesn't change the fact that the North over all had a better position on slavery than the South did.

The Emancipation Proclamation actually enraged many Northerners because the last sentence of the document allowed black men to take up arms and fight along side white soldiers. Many denounced Lincoln for taking the proclamation "too far!"

As I said, many in the north were very prejudice to, anyone that denies that is being just as foolish as those who say slavery was not an moral issue in the war, but the north was moving in the right direction much faster.

• Members

Abortion and slavery are not even in the same category.

If you were going to set a rare creature free but they were raised in captivity and had no skills to survive in the wild, would you just dump them in the middle of a jungle or forrest and say "best to ya, you're on your own now" or would you prepare them for living on their own and make sure they got a decent start?

All other civilized nations ended slavery by putting in place a practical, gradual program of freedom. This included a measure of compensation to the slave holders, educational and skills training for the slaves and preparation for where they might live and how they might best make it on their own upon freedom.

The radical abolition plan just tossed the newly freed slaves into the cold.

And no, the Emancipation Proclamation didn't change the legal status of slavery in America. It ONLY changed the legal status of slaves in those areas still held by the South at the issuance of the Proclamation. Throughout the rest of the land, slavery was still legal and in practice until the 13th Amendment was passed after the War.

• Members

Presidents who owned slaves:

Of the first five presidents, four owned slaves. All four of these owned slaves while they were president.

Of the next five presidents (#6-10), four owned slaves. Only two of them owned slaves while they were president.

Of the next five presidents (#11-15), two owned slaves. Both of these two owned slaves while they were president.

Of the next three presidents (#16-18) two owned slaves. neither of them owned slaves while serving as president.

The last president to own slaves while president was #13, Zachary Taylor (1849-1850).

The last president to own slaves at all was #18, Ulysses S. Grant (1869-1877).

So twelve of our presidents owned slaves and eight of them owned slaves while serving as president.

Abortion and slavery are not even in the same category.

"Exodus 21:16 And he that stealeth a man, and selleth him, or if he be found in his hand, he shall surely be put to death."

God gave the same penalty for kidnapping people and making them slaves as he did for murder. I know the over seas slave trade wasn't the issue it had been by the time of the civil war, but it illustrates the point. With that kind of world view it is no wonder there aren't that many black fundamentalists. :sad

Presidents who owned slaves:

Of the first five presidents, four owned slaves. All four of these owned slaves while they were president.

Of the next five presidents (#6-10), four owned slaves. Only two of them owned slaves while they were president.

Of the next five presidents (#11-15), two owned slaves. Both of these two owned slaves while they were president.

Of the next three presidents (#16-18) two owned slaves. neither of them owned slaves while serving as president.

The last president to own slaves while president was #13, Zachary Taylor (1849-1850).

The last president to own slaves at all was #18, Ulysses S. Grant (1869-1877).

So twelve of our presidents owned slaves and eight of them owned slaves while serving as president.

So? :loll: Where have I said grant was a "great Christian". What I dislike is otherwise fundamentalist Christians "sainting" some war "hero" simply because he was a war "hero" with the side they favor.