• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Gender Roles

• Members

Per dwayner's suggestion...

What are Biblical gender roles for men and women?

Here are some common questions people have:

1. Can a woman work outside the home and still be Biblical?

2. Does a wife have to ask her husband permission for every thing she does?

3. Just what is submission anyway?

4. What does it mean for a man to love his wife the way Christ loved the Church?

5. Is being a "house husband" wrong?

6. Is it wrong for a man to ask his wife to take care of the household finances?

7. Women voting thread participants, where does the Bible say it is wrong for a woman to vote?

Have fun and be nice. :Bleh

I was hoping more people would participate in this thread because the Bible has quite a bit to say about women and how Jesus viewed them that might surprise some. I have an article I will post later that is sooooo good. I have to get permission to post it first though.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
That is correct. Now then' date=' does God ever tell men to submit to their wives?[/quote']

no :smile

But He did tell husbands to love their wives "even as" Christ loved the church (Eph.5:25). The love here refers to a sacrificial giving on the part of the husband. There is no sacrifice that a husband shouldn't be willing to make for his wife. I'm not sure if this helps or not.

Love,
Madeline

• Members

I am goin to try to answer some of the roles you mentioned

Per dwayner's suggestion...

What are Biblical gender roles for men and women?

Here are some common questions people have:

1. Can a woman work outside the home and still be Biblical? Are there children, she needs to be home to raise them, if not I find no scripture that condems it.

2. Does a wife have to ask her husband permission for every thing she does? If you look at the virteous woman she purchases a field. It does not mention her asking her husband. Having to ask about every little thing (and a land purchase is not little) makes a robot. I do not find women in the Bible being robots. Sarah may have called Abraham lord, but she told him to get rid of Hagar and Ishmael.

3. Just what is submission anyway? One of the most twisted words in the english language :loll: A women puts herself into submission to her husband to be the head of the house. That does not mean she has no mind, or personal fealings. It means she puts her husband first.

4. What does it mean for a man to love his wife the way Christ loved the Church? How did Christ love the church?? Enough to give his life for it. This is where we find the balancing of the women being in submission. If she puts puts him first she lifts him up. If he puts her first, he lifts her up. Though the man has the final say in the household, he is not the "god" of the house. The Bible speaks of a man and his wife as one.

5. Is being a "house husband" wrong? Depends on the circumstances. If a man is sick or disabled, but can take care of the house, power to them. If he is able bodied though, his place is to be providing for his house.

6. Is it wrong for a man to ask his wife to take care of the household finances? The husband of the virteous woman did not need to worry about spoil. He could trust her. That is what I see when I hear about someone feeling that the wife should not care for the finances. There are some women God has given a great gift of being able to care for finances. There are some men who cannot handle finances. If you have these as a pair, it would be nothing more than pride for him to forbid her to take care of it.

7. Women voting thread participants, where does the Bible say it is wrong for a woman to vote?

Have fun and be nice. :Bleh

I was hoping more people would participate in this thread because the Bible has quite a bit to say about women and how Jesus viewed them that might surprise some. I have an article I will post later that is sooooo good. I have to get permission to post it first though.

• Members
What is Ephesians 5:21 referring to then?

I believe that verse refers to submitting our rights over to theirs, i.e., to be in subordination to them based on God's hierarchal system (children submitting to parents, wifes submitting to their husbnands, husbands submitting to Christ, civil authorities, etc.). Paul writes about the distinction and function of the roles/submission of the divine order of things as stated in 1 Cor.11:3, "....the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God."

• Members
Gimme time to clean and reload pappy's shot gun - it went off accidently on that other thread! :face:

I use toilet paper when cleaning the scatter guns, it's cheap.
But if I wanna get in trouble I just put a gun on the bed, or the couch.
and on the other hand I won't let her spray WD40 on the floor when it squeaks. :uuhm: