• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Gender Roles

• Members

1. Can a woman work outside the home and still be Biblical?

The Bible says "keepers at home". The virtuous woman in Proverbs 31 kept her home, but she was also an entrepreneur. She was a merchant 31:24, a purchasing agent 31:14, a leader and overseer Proverbs 31:15 and a manager 31:27. But her head was her husband, and not some boss outside the home.

2. Does a wife have to ask her husband permission for every thing she does?

The woman in Proverbs 31 did not. She made things, bought and sold and closely managed the household. She even bought real estate on her own, and she developed it herself. Doesn't say she even consulted her husband in this.; maybe she did but it doesn't say. Proverbs 31:16

3. Just what is submission anyway?

The woman in Proverbs 31 honoured her husband, she was such a delight and encouragement to him that he was a confident, well respected leader in his community. Proverbs 31:23 He was a man of influence because SHE was an influence, and so you have this community leader, a man of influence; and instead of this leader worrying with a rebelious wife, he feels the urge to praise her....and the kids do too. Proverbs 31:28
So I would say she was submissive. Being submissive is not insisting on having it 'your way" all the time....and not pouting or griping about it. And you can surrender....without submitting. Bad

4. What does it mean for a man to love his wife the way Christ loved the Church?

Exactly what it says. He is to love sacrificially. He is willing to wear his body out, working to provide for her, and he is willing to guard and protect her with his own life.

5. Is being a "house husband" wrong?

The Bible tells women to be keepers at home; doesn't tell men this. A man is supposed to "provide for his own". Some men "work from home". But as to sending mom off to work while Dad stays home and keeps house, unless he is handicapped, I think it's wrong.

6. Is it wrong for a man to ask his wife to take care of the household finances?
The woman in proverbs 31 bought and sold on her own; she was merchant, a buyer, and a manager.

I am an entrepreneur. I order materials, correspond with suppliers and clients, design and manufacture goods. Alot of men have a secretary, receptionists, book keepers etc, to help out.; I do not.
My wife goes to the store, buys the groceries, buys the kids' school books, clothes and whatever the houshold needs. She is just like the woman in Proverbs 31....although she hasn't purchased any real estate on her own, yet. :) She takes care of these things as I do not have the time. She doesn't have to ask me every time she buys something, and I don't her. But we tell each other everything. I take care of things she cannot do, and she does the same for me; we are a team.

7. Women voting thread participants, where does the Bible say it is wrong for a woman to vote?

The Bible does not specifically say it is wrong for a woman to vote; but you will notice that it was the husband, in Proverbs 31, who was involved in politics; not the wife. I don't think the woman in Proverbs 31 lived in a Democratic society; I believe it was a kingdom. Anyway, we both vote...but neither of us vote for folk like Mr. Obama.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

1. Can a woman work outside the home and still be Biblical?
Only if it's necessary; i.e. it's a single mom, her husband literally cannot work, et cetera. See Titus 2:5.
2. Does a wife have to ask her husband permission for every thing she does?
No.
3. Just what is submission anyway?
The wife yielding herself to her husband's loving and protective leadership.
4. What does it mean for a man to love his wife the way Christ loved the Church?
Loving, protecting, providing for, and cherishing her.
5. Is being a "house husband" wrong?
Yes, unless the husband is unable to work, for example. Can't think of any other reason. After all, the man was given power in the affairs outside of the home, whereas the women has been given power inside.
6. Is it wrong for a man to ask his wife to take care of the household finances?
If you mean doing things like taxes and related, I don't see anything wrong with it.
7. Women voting thread participants, where does the Bible say it is wrong for a woman to vote?
No where necessarily, but from its obvious condemnation of women in politics and such, and from various Scriptural principles, I'm against it.
God bless,
Crushmaster.