• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Private, Public or Homeschool?

Private, Public or Homeschool?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Private, Public or Homeschool?

• Private
    • Public
    • Homeschool

• Members

Yes, that's is one thing that I also picked up with the PACEs, Lee Anne. The church history side of things is not correct (I was very critical with this when I was doing it). I did notice that selective History PACEs were a little off too. Other things that troubled me while I was learning was parts of the Literature section. They have a lot of fictitious books. Personally, if I was to read fiction it would be because the "fiction" is a true story with proper noun variations. The only other good reason to read fiction is to improve one's diction and writing ability. To do that, I would have to read books written by real professionals such as Lewis Carol etc. Anyway, as a guide to education, however, it (ACE) is excellent. :smile

My mum learnt that as us children were learning, she was learning too!!!

Btw, I don't know how much longer they will be using the KJV for--last days for them I reckon.

Yes, I agree Jerry. Nah, under that light these children are far from normal! You don't hear curse words. They don't knock each other for whatever reason. They are extremely happy most of the time. You can just tell that they are Christians just by being with them and talking with them. Yes, they are not normal at all; they are very different.

Great to hear about the home-schooling, MilkmanDan :smile

In some cases, some children miss out on so much more than what you mentioned, Jerry. We met this home-school family one day, and they were isolating themselves completely from the rest of the world. Now the children were missing out on so much! It was upsetting! Those children were disciplined so much also, it was heart-breaking. These were home-schoolers! It was really shocking...

I am a bit of a patriot when it comes to home-schooling, and you didn't upset me, Jerry :smile

Your OK :thumb

As a principle though, I think home-schooled children get so much more of what they need. Showing a deep interest in your children will go a long long way. Love can go so further than you can throw it.

Maybe God will send me a wife so I can have some children of my own???!!! :lol:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Hi Timothy. My kids LOVE literature; but the oldest is only in year 8! He is a very black and white person, which is good and if something doesn't seem right to him he will have something to say about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He loves history by the way ( like me! ) so we will keep a look out for any problems.
Overall I do like ACE. I did English at Uni and my 11 and 13 year old already know more about formal english then I do!!!!!!!!!
Having said that our kids get very little creative writing. That is something I would like to rectify. :Green

• Members
Point is, boys do miss out on playing football if they are home schooled, and probably a few other sports. Which I know all boys don't care for football and or other sports, but some do. Some love football and do not care for any other sports.

In some areas there is access to private and or Christians schools that do offer football and other sports and they play against the public schools. But the problem there is expense, many cannot afford to pay the tuition that this would cost.

There is one Christian school here in Arkansas who in the past, don't know if they still do, after a football game win or lose they try to meet with the other team for prayer. That makes for a pretty good witness to many young boys.

Which when I made that post, I had never given it no thought, it just hit me and I made the post.

As for standing up for their belief in public school, yes there are children that do, all one has to do is read the news. Here at our local public school they meet at the flag pole everyday for prayer.

I'm not an advocate for public schools, for no doubt with each new year they are getting to be a worse place for children and are not a good place for the Christians children. But there is no doubt home schools do miss out of some things that are good and can be helpful.

Now days in America, even in the Christian homes both parents work out side of the home, in these situations, seems it would be impossible to home school. Seems home schooling even one child would be a full time job if its done properly.

With all due respect, Bro. Jerry, no where in the Bible are we told to make sure our kids have a football team to play on in order to learn the lessons of which you speak. The teams that meet together for prayer is a wonderful idea, but shouldn't be something to base whether or not we homeschool or send our children to public school. As a parent, my job is to make sure my children are raised in the nuture and admonition of the Lord, not the local football team. I believe in America today, our priorities and values are so completely misplaced because of sports. While I don't deny that lessons can be learned in the playing of sports, it is not and should not even be in the top 10 list of things we're worried about when schooling our children.

• Members

With all due respect, Bro. Jerry, no where in the Bible are we told to make sure our kids have a football team to play on in order to learn the lessons of which you speak. The teams that meet together for prayer is a wonderful idea, but shouldn't be something to base whether or not we homeschool or send our children to public school. As a parent, my job is to make sure my children are raised in the nuture and admonition of the Lord, not the local football team. I believe in America today, our priorities and values are so completely misplaced because of sports. While I don't deny that lessons can be learned in the playing of sports, it is not and should not even be in the top 10 list of things we're worried about when schooling our children.

Here we go again. Please show me where I said for you are anyone to make sure that your kinds have football or any other sport in order to learn?

But I will say, kids learn from playing team sports, especially if its the one they chose and enjoy. Team work is so important in life, even in the life of Jesus' Churches. We are told, in the early church they were all in one accord, that is everyone was pulling the load, team work.

Do you find anywhere in the Bible that your suppose to make sure your children has a secular education?

• Members

Overall I do like ACE. I did English at Uni and my 11 and 13 year old already know more about formal english then I do!!!!!!!!!
Having said that our kids get very little creative writing. That is something I would like to rectify.

I felt the same way, and BJU English rectified that. For the most part, they use the same wording to teach the grammar part. They alternate chapters with grammar and creative writing.

• Members

A most hearty AMEN, :amen: :thumb :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Far too often the world's populace gets to thinking that sports teach sportsmanship. That is a complete fallacy. Sports are an opportunity to teach sportsmanship if they are administered properly, but then so are a whole host of other group activities.

Infinitely more important than trying to teach sportsmanship, is teaching Godliness, and that is done by example from the parents.

• Members

I'm sorry, I have to give this a hearty :amen: as well!!!!!!!!! My oldest 3 kids were in a baptist Christian school for a few years. I feel quite strongly about this sports issue too (like the person quoted above). I saw that school raise their tuition above what many families could afford due to pressure from a few key people in the leadership to create a football team! (The money for it had to come from somewhere) Christian standard compromise followed shortly, because they had to get new families and then some to replace those really conservative ones they'd lost. I homeschool my children....it IS a full-time job....it is worth it. Are they missing out on some things out in the world? Absolutely!! So am I. I don't go out "socializing"....do you? I socialize with family, and my church family---or on-line baptist!! My friends are through the church (here or across the country). Everyone else is just an aquaintance in my book. No, my kids don't play football or any "team" sport, but they like fishing with Grandpa, playing tennis at the park, playing baseball in the yard (I have 4 sons, and a good neighbor with 3), they love skiing, snowmobiling, and showing off their artistic talents. (I have a couple of real good drawers, painters, and one son loves clay modeling and origamy) They are also at church for every service and as many activities as possible. Are they bored and a shut in? I think not. I've "heard it all" through the years from well meaning family members about socialization etc.--they don't have anything negative to say to us anymore, and I've actually heard them brag on our kids being smart, articulate, and well adjusted, well-mannered children!

• Members

Here we go again. Please show me where I said for you are anyone to make sure that your kinds have football or any other sport in order to learn?

But I will say, kids learn from playing team sports, especially if its the one they chose and enjoy. Team work is so important in life, even in the life of Jesus' Churches. We are told, in the early church they were all in one accord, that is everyone was pulling the load, team work.

Do you find anywhere in the Bible that your suppose to make sure your children has a secular education?

Bro. Jerry, I'm not trying to argue with you. :box .. :lol: .. I'm just showing why I don't agree with you. I enjoy reading your posts throughout the board and generally concur with you. I just happen to have other views on this issue.

I do not send my children to the public school. We homeschool. I believe we are instructed in the Bible (Deuteronomy 6) to do that. I do not believe secular education is supported in the Bible.

I do not disagree that there are things learned from playing sports. I'm saying too much emphasis is placed on sports. My children do not miss out on anything because they don't play organized sports. The lessons you speak of can be learned in other ways at church and within the family. You spoke of teamwork. What better place to learn that than within the family unit itself.

I also want to go on record saying I'm not against playing sports. If it fits into someone's life and doesn't interfere with the things of God, then have a great time playing. But I believe sports should be a very small part of our lives.

• Members
I've "heard it all" through the years from well meaning family members about socialization etc.--they don't have anything negative to say to us anymore' date=' and I've actually heard them brag on our kids being smart, articulate, and well adjusted, well-mannered children![/quote']

I've experienced the same thing. My parents were totally against our homeschooling and were not supportive in anyway. But now that we have been doing it for so long, they are seeing the difference in my children. I am always getting compliments on how well behaved my children are as well as how well they do academically.

• Members

I don't see the point in arguing which method is right or wrong. It is not a sin to step foot in a public school. It is not a sin to go to a Christian school. It is not a sin to homeschool.

Each parent must pray and decide what is best for their child.

Some children are easily influenced and shouldn't go to public school. Other children are strong testimonies for the Lord and a great witness in public school.

Not all Christian schools are created equal. All the ones in my realm of experience are/were nothing like the bad ones described in this thread.

Not everyone should homeschool. Not everyone is capable. Not everyone can afford it.

The bottom line is to be involved in your children's lives no matter what method you choose. Delegating teaching to a school is still within the realm of Dt. 6.

• Members

I remember a conference over a year ago. The church that was the base for the activity imported their own American preacher to teach during the conference. Anyway, before long, all the pastors started to have a conversation about sport, and why their team was the best. They were all very graceful in the end... after bashing each other that is... I learnt then that some people like professional sport, and some don't really care.

Btw, I didn't judge them for their passions.

I thought that most people liked (watching) professional sport. I can see now that a lot of women don't. :lol: I couldn't care less for it, but I have to tolerate those that I associate with that have a passion for it.

• Members
I don't see the point in arguing which method is right or wrong. It is not a sin to step foot in a public school. It is not a sin to go to a Christian school. It is not a sin to homeschool.

Each parent must pray and decide what is best for their child.

Some children are easily influenced and shouldn't go to public school. Other children are strong testimonies for the Lord and a great witness in public school.

Not all Christian schools are created equal. All the ones in my realm of experience are/were nothing like the bad ones described in this thread.

Not everyone should homeschool. Not everyone is capable. Not everyone can afford it.

The bottom line is to be involved in your children's lives no matter what method you choose. Delegating teaching to a school is still within the realm of Dt. 6.

Agreed.. :thumb

• Members

For those who are slightly concerned about giving their children good creative writing schooling, I would suggest that you first make sure their grammar is up to par. My husband and I went to the same high school, but we had different English teachers. His teacher centered more on creative writing, and my husband says that he would write stuff, and then his teacher would give it back with red all over it (because his grammar was bad). My teacher centered more on grammar, and we practiced grammar until we were sick of it! I don't mean to brag on myself, and I'm sure you've all seen bad grammar in my posts at times, but when you compare my writing with my husband's, you will see the difference. I think in part it's due to our different personalities (he tends towards quick and impulsive, and I tend toward slow and tedious), but I also think it's because of our training way back in high school. I was taught grammar until it was second nature. He was taught writing without first having the grammar foundation. I was first taught the grammar, and then writing was added to that later.

Anyways, I'm sure you mothers know this already, but it's just something I've noticed. I'm so thankful for all those grammar exercises!

• Members

Hmm, now that's food for thought. With the curriculum we are using, my 4th grader is being introduced to writing and it is a daily battle. He just doesn't have a clue and I'm at a loss as to how to further explain it to him. He loves to read and does well in language classes but writing... :badday: Maybe I shouldn't worry about that so much and just stick to the grammar facts for now?