• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

wrong faith

flaja

• Members

When I participate in internet forums I always present my beliefs in absolute terms. I generally see religious issues as black and white and seldom ever gray.

I have no qualms about telling someone that they are wrong on matters of religion when I have reason to believe that they are wrong. For this I am usually criticized mercilessly.

What I want to know is, can you insist that your faith is right if you are unwilling to say other faiths (or variations on your own faith) are wrong? If you are unwilling to say others are wrong when they don?t accept your faith, can you have any faith at all?

• Members
When I participate in internet forums I always present my beliefs in absolute terms. I generally see religious issues as black and white and seldom ever gray.

I have no qualms about telling someone that they are wrong on matters of religion when I have reason to believe that they are wrong. For this I am usually criticized mercilessly.

What I want to know is, can you insist that your faith is right if you are unwilling to say other faiths (or variations on your own faith) are wrong? If you are unwilling to say others are wrong when they don?t accept your faith, can you have any faith at all?

By what standard do you base your beliefs?

It doesn't matter whether someone accepts my faith or not--it is not MY faith which anyone needs to accept. There is only ONE faith (not sure what you mean by variations of our faith) and ONE truth! We are told to contend EARNESTLY for THE faith which was once delivered to the saints. (Jude 3). We are to share the Gospel with the lost according to what Jesus said in Matthew 28:19-20. The result of rejecting the gift of salvation in Jesus Christ is eternal damnation and torment in the Lake of Fire. (Revelation 20:14-15)

Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

• Members
[by what standard do you base your beliefs?

Authorized King James translation of the Holy Bible.

It doesn't matter whether someone accepts my faith or not--it is not MY faith which anyone needs to accept.

If you believe that your faith is the only way to achieve salvation, and you are concerned about the salvation of others, then how can you say that others don't need to accept your faith?

There is only ONE faith (not sure what you mean by variations of our faith)

I don't consider things like Mormonism, Roman Catholicism, Pentecostalism or Jehovah's Witnesses to be legitimate Christianity, but they are variations on Christianity.

• Members
I don't consider things like Mormonism, Roman Catholicism, Pentecostalism or Jehovah's Witnesses to be legitimate Christianity, but they are variations on Christianity.

About the only one in that group that represents Christianity (in any sense) is Pentecostalism - not their Pentecostal doctrines, but many of them do have the right doctrine on how to be saved (which those other groups do not - therefore they are cults/false religions in the first place).

• Members

I don?t consider Pentecostals to be legitimate Christians regardless of their stance on salvation because they are not Christian in practice.

Furthermore, I do consider Pentecostals to be the equivalent of cults because of their mind control.

I have an elderly friend, a woman whom I have known for almost 30 years, that is in a nursing home against her will. She was raised as a Lutheran, but she has been a Pentecostal since before I met her. She had something like a nervous breakdown when she was about 30 and since then her only income has been a social security disability pension (apart from what her husband made as a common laborer- when he wasn?t unemployed). She has always been a compulsive spender (not shopper because she never worried about getting her money?s worth on anything) so she has never been good at managing her money.

Until she went into the nursing home she was always on more mail-order preacher begging lists than I could count. She and her husband often had their lights and water turned off and they lived their lives in the local pawn shops (often paying more in pawn fees than whatever they had pawned was worth just so they could keep it to pawn again). But they never failed to pay the Lord His tithe and then some expecting God to bless them. They were both suckers for ever name-it-and-claim-it charlatan that came along. Now that my friend is in the nursing home she is convinced that the home is keeping her just so it can steal her Social Security check. She is all but blind and for all practical purpose she cannot walk. But she honestly believes that God put in the nursing home because she didn?t give Him enough tithe money over the years.

• Members

Anyone with the right teaching/doctrine on how to be saved (and who does in fact believe it) IS a Christian, regardless of whatever other mess of doctrines they may have. Many Pentecostals still believe the right things about salvation, but add many extrabiblical junk to their practice.

• Members
But she honestly believes that God put in the nursing home because she didn?t give Him enough tithe money over the years.
Giving tithes to God is personal, and I don't believe that you have enough Biblical authority or knowledge to state just why God does what He does with people. The Bible does reveal that God does what He does to glorify Himself, so that sounds contradictory.

• Members

I believe that what I believe is right if not how can you say you believe on anything. I think that there is only one way to be saved no other, and that anyone who believes contrary to that is wrong, yes I believe that my faith is the only faith that is not corrupted by mans intrusion on God, We believe what the bible says, thats it no more no less. If you disagree with what the bible says then your wrong. Do I think that others of diffrent faith will not go to Heaven? I believe that there is a possibility that some people in other Christian religions could be saved, unless salvation is not the way they teach. Their way of worship may be off base,

• Members
Anyone with the right teaching/doctrine on how to be saved (and who does in fact believe it) IS a Christian' date=' regardless of whatever other mess of doctrines they may have. Many Pentecostals still believe the right things about salvation, but add many extrabiblical junk to their practice.[/quote']

So Jim Bakker was a Christian even though he was an adulterer, a liar and a thief?

As far as I know the Mormons all say you have to have faith in Jesus to be saved. So why do you accept Pentecostals when you reject Mormons?

• Members
Giving tithes to God is personal' date=' and I don't believe that you have enough Biblical authority or knowledge to state just why God does what He does with people. The Bible does reveal that God does what He does to glorify Himself, so that sounds contradictory.[/quote']

This woman is following an un-Biblical doctrine and I rest my authority to discern the ways of God on the Bible.

• Members

[quote="flaja"]So Jim Bakker was a Christian even though he was an adulterer, a liar and a thief?

As far as I know the Mormons all say you have to have faith in Jesus to be saved. So why do you accept Pentecostals when you reject Mormons?[/quote]

Salvation isn't by works. I do not know what Bakker claimed to believe about salvation. Mormons believe in a works-based salvation and a different Jesus. Most Pentecostals do not. And I never said being a Pentecostal is what saves someone - the right believe in Christ does - and most Pentecostals do teach the right thing about Jesus Christ and His finished work of redemption (that doesn't mean that everyone in those churches is saved - it is up to each individual to trust Christ for themselves - but no one can trust Christ where false doctrine about Him is taught).

• Members

[quote="Timothy"]I'm just saying that I can agree with you as little as I can agree with T. U. L. I. P. theology.[/quote]

If this is directed at me, I don?t subscribe fully to TULIP. I do believe that man without Christ is totally depraved, but I also believe that man has the free will to accept or reject Christ without any controlling input from God. I also believe that Christ offers salvation to everyone, not just a select few.

• Members

[quote="Jerry"]Salvation isn't by works. I do not know what Bakker claimed to believe about salvation. Mormons believe in a works-based salvation and a different Jesus. Most Pentecostals do not.[/quote]

You can document statistics for ?most? Pentecostals?

Where I live we have hundreds and hundreds of Pentecostal churches and most of them either accept or have women as pastor or co-pastors in direct contradiction to what Paul told the Corinthians about women keeping silent in church. How can these people be saved if they follow an un-Biblical doctrine?

Also, I have never known more than 2 Pentecostals (my elderly friend and her late husband) that were King James only, but even they were both willing to go to non-King James only churches. They were both willing to fellowship with people who used Bibles that said Jesus is not God. Can such Pentecostals legitimately have salvation?

[quote]And I never said being a Pentecostal is what saves someone - the right believe in Christ does - and most Pentecostals do teach the right thing about Jesus Christ and His finished work of redemption (that doesn't mean that everyone in those churches is saved - it is up to each individual to trust Christ for themselves - but no one can trust Christ where false doctrine about Him is taught).[/quote]

And then they otherwise follow un-Godly doctrines. Some salvation.