• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

While we're on the subject of chicken..

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
No, no! Never open a crock pot while it is cooking. (Well, that's what the books say anyway. :Bleh ) Seriously though, it is like rice; you are supposed to put the lid on, turn it on, let it do its thing and leave it alone. Taking the lid off sets it back considerably because it will lose heat quickly and it takes time to build back up again.

A whole chicken should cook 8-10 hours on low or about 5-6 hours on high. Add 1 cup of liquid if using the high setting.

Try something like this:

Slice 2 carrots, 2 onions and 2 celery ribs. Place in bottom of slow cooker. Place chicken on top. Mix 1/2 cup water (1 cup if setting on high), 2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper, 1 tsp. basil and pour over chicken.

Really, it is hard to mess up with a crock pot. You can add more veggies to this if you like, such as potatoes. You can use broth, bouillon, chicken gravy, cream soups. There's lots of variations.

So a few days ago I tried cooking some chicken sorta like this (minus the veggies)... I put 3 breasts in with seasonings, and about 3/4 cup of water (couldn't remember what you said) and it cooked about 9 hours while I was at work... It tasted good, but was REALLY dry... I'm wondering if maybe it was because its one of the bigger oval crock-pots? I'm going to try it again, but not sure what to change... more water? any recommendations on how much? Cook time can't change much, because thats how long work is, but I cooked it on high... would medium work?

• Members
Ok' date=' perhaps I'll go throw it in the crockpot for tonight's supper! Thanks. I heard of a way to roast it in the crockpot by resting it on balled up foil, but I'm afraid of the juices burning at the bottom if I did that. Anyone ever tried that? Also, do you think it would be ok to put it in there even if it were still frozen in the center?[/quote']

Actually the correct way to thaw any poultry product or beef for that matter, is to thaw it in the fridge..... never let it sit out on the counter to thaw at room temp. Also, if you have to "Quick" thaw usually done on an item that is for the most part completly thawed out with the exception of the middle or something like that, is to thaw it under COLD RUNNING water... per the NC health Dept standards..... :Green I knew that Serve Safe certificate would come in handy!!!!!!!!!!! :Bleh

• Members

A recipe? you just cut the chicken breast in half, shove in ham and swiss cheese, and bread it and bake it....

This that are missing from this, that make it fall way short of "recipe" which is the reason I asked specifically for a "recipe"

Depth of cut in chicken breast
How much ham, of what cut, quality
How much cheese, in what form, grated, cube, block, shaved....
What kind of breading, applied in what manner... spiced? egg base? thickness? crumbs, crushed?
Bake covered? flip? temp? time? microwave option?

So....... anyone able to remember the days when they didn't have all the knowledge of God, able to understand that telling someone to just throw a chunk of chicken into the oven can cause death if it's undercooked, and please lower themselves to my level, which is someone who's never cooked chicken that way and would please like to know in detail how to do it.

Or you can just forget that you where born knowing nothing, forget that you had to be taught, and pretend that everything you know is easy, those who don't know it must be stupid, and make mocking comments.

Strike II for this section......

• Members

No need for the sarcasm... :wink

Here's a recipe. I'm sure there are other variations out there for you to try but this will do for starters.

Chicken Cordon Bleu

4 large boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon dried thyme
4 thin slices fully cooked ham*
4 thin slices Swiss cheese*
8 bacon strips
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Flatten chicken breasts; spread butter on the insides. Sprinkle with thyme. Top with a slice of ham and cheese; roll up tightly. Wrap each with two slices of bacon and secure with toothpicks.

In a small bowl, beat eggs and milk; set aside. Place flour in another bowl. Combine the bread crumbs, garlic powder, oregano and cheese. Dip each chicken breast into the egg mixture, then the flour, back into the egg mixture and then into the crumb mixture. Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Yield: 4 servings.

*Thin fully cooked ham and thin Swiss are available from a deli.

• Members

:clap: :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: CHEERS FOR Bakershalfdozen :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: I'm going to make this tomorrow. Now that I have the information in hand, lets talk casually about it until someone asks for a recipe again, then give them real information

and thanks Bakershalfdozen, imma make it and see what it cost me, if it's less then what I get the ones in bulk for, you're my favorite :-D

(I would of put more clapping, but they only allow 50 :()

• Members
A recipe? you just cut the chicken breast in half, shove in ham and swiss cheese, and bread it and bake it....

This that are missing from this, that make it fall way short of "recipe" which is the reason I asked specifically for a "recipe"

Depth of cut in chicken breast
How much ham, of what cut, quality
How much cheese, in what form, grated, cube, block, shaved....
What kind of breading, applied in what manner... spiced? egg base? thickness? crumbs, crushed?
Bake covered? flip? temp? time? microwave option?

So....... anyone able to remember the days when they didn't have all the knowledge of God, able to understand that telling someone to just throw a chunk of chicken into the oven can cause death if it's undercooked, and please lower themselves to my level, which is someone who's never cooked chicken that way and would please like to know in detail how to do it.

Or you can just forget that you where born knowing nothing, forget that you had to be taught, and pretend that everything you know is easy, those who don't know it must be stupid, and make mocking comments.

Strike II for this section......

Perhaps you should google it when you need cooking advice from now on because you can't seem to handle what you get here very graciously. There's a wealth of detailed instructions and recipes on the www just waiting to help you! :thumb