• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

Can anyone tell me what version of the Bible did D.L. Moody use? I have a co-worker who went to Moody Bible Institute and he made the comment that the KJV was a "bad" translation because the translators used the Latin translations to translate the KJV. I corrected him once, he assured me he was correct, and rather than choke my co-worker, I simply walked away.

I went back to the 1611 preface and found where the translators specifically said they used the Hebrew and Greek. Part of my counter-argument to the KJV being a "bad" translation was that the Great Awakenings began by preachers preaching out of the KJV. Since my co-worker was a Moody graduate, I thought I would point out that Moody didn't think the KJV was a bad translation, and God used him mightily.

But I can't find proof that Moody used the KJV. His official biography says he was a "student of the English Bible." Can someone share any proof that Moody used the KJV? Or am I mistaken?

Mitch

• Members

There was no other English Bible in contemporary usage during most of his ministry. The English Revised Standard Version came out in 1881, whole Bible in 1885. If he used that at all, it couldn't have been for very long. (I am not sure when he died, but his ministry was pretty much the same time as Spurgeon, who died in January 1892.)

• Members

Thanks. But wasn't the Geneva, Tyndale's, and Bishop's versions out then as well? I was trying to find out what version the Moody Bible Institute used when it started, but I can't find that either. That would give me a clue, but they've removed that from the Statement of Faith. Now, it reads "inerrant in the original autographs."

Obviously, I'm at work and don't have my sources with me. I was hoping someone smarter than me knew right off the top of his/her head. Thanks for trying.

Mitch

• Members

Of course, this is from someone else's word, not from an official Moody source, but I remember our pastor out is SLC say that "MBI was once a very good school, but now they use the wrong Bible." I understood him to mean that at one time they used KJV exclusively, but now they don't.

• Members
R.A. Torrey is the one who started Moody Bible Institute. His Bible of choice was the English Revised Standard Version or the American Standard Version' date=' not the KJV.[/quote']

An interesting thing I read about that was Torrey used the KJB in his preaching to great effect. Why he used the newer version for other things I don't understand.

• Members

In his own autobiography, he tells how he went to Germany and got caught up in higher criticism for several years. He refuted that and turned from it - but perhaps he never left the mentality that the MVs gave him an intellectual approach to the Scriptures, and that he could quote them to "more accurately show the meaning of the originals" (my emphasis - not an actual quote from him, but my impression).