• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bakershalfdozen

Superstitions

I don't see a single thing in the 13-list that I would consider biblically significant' date=' but it is very clear that it took a long to time to collect and consider and argue for. All that time and effort could have been used to learn something real about scripture, whereas on the other hand convincing oneself of the importance in scripture of things that are not really there is a recipe for spiritual error.[/quote']

Why is noticing how 13s are used in Scripture any less significant than noticing how sevens are used? Someone would have to be deliberate blind not to see the significance of sevens, from Genesis to Revelation - and we don't have to force anything to see the sevens and the patterns given. Ask Bakers for some of the sevens in John and Revelation - we had some neat threads on those. So why are other numbers not important. They are in the Bible - I do not spend time looking for them, but I notice numbers and types when I see them. 13 is not as significant as sevens, eights, tens, and some other numbers, but it is still there.

For example: Why did I notice the 13 in Mark 7? Because I saw there were seven things in Matthew 15, indicating the complete wickedness of man's heart. Why 13 in a parallel passage? So it stuck in my mind. Then I saw other passages where 13 was used - over time as I studied the Bible.

I am certainly not telling anyone to get fixated on any one part, theme, issue, book, etc. of the Bible. Just like people who get so caught up in the endtimes that they neglect the rest of the Bible, people can be unbalanced in their approach to the Word of God - the solution is to study the whole Bible - to be observant of all we see in the Scriptures as we are studying and reading it.

Jerry, I thought I made it clear that I DO believe that numbers have some sort of significance (please read my previous posts). You asked "Why is noticing how 13s are used in Scripture any less significant than noticing how sevens are used?" then stated "it is not as significant as sevens, eights, tens, and some other numbers, but it is still there." So are 13's any more significant then 7's or not? Do you see where this is going? Putting too much emphasis on biblical numerology can take our attention away from learning some real truth about scripture. I'd rather swallow the meat of the word then waste my time with foolish and ignorant disputes.

Love,
Madeline

My Mother was superstitious to a degree. If someone knocked over a salt shaker she would pick it up and throw some salt over her left shoulder. She always told us not to walk under ladders, open umbrellas in the house or break any mirrors. I always thought of these things as funny and not to be taken seriously. I guess black cats didn't count. We usually had any where from 1 to a dozen of them at any one time. CJP56

Guest Guest

I have a question in regard to this subject. Is it sinful to be superstitious? I know that there are some verses against witchcraft in the OT such as Nahum 3:4, 2Kings 9:22, Exodus 22:18 and some more, but honestly, I don't know in which category are superstitions, could it be evil imaginations?

I would say it would be wrong to be fearful because of superstitions. I don't know what the definition of that word would be - but it is basically being controlled by fear based on falsehoods. God is in complete control - we can dig into His Word and find out what He says about the things that concern us; therefore there is no reason to be superstitious.

1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

MANY, many times in Scripture we are told to fear not. Probably every situation we could be faced with is addressed in Scripture, and we (ie. believers in Christ) are given the victory over all of them through God's promises.

Guest Guest

If you want to see "superstitions"...just walk into an RCC at a funeral service. Just one example includes...the priest swinging a "smoke-filled" canister hanging from a chain over the coffin. This is "supposed" to take the spirit of the person up to heaven. :loco

Another place to meet superstitious people is on a baseball field. Baseball players do so many things in order to keep from ruining a hot streak or to break out of a slump. For example, if I'm pitching, I won't start a game without a mouthful of sunflower seeds. If I'm unhappy with my pitching, I'll blame the seeds and stop eating them. I never bat with seeds, either. That's just one of my many little quirks when I play ball. Every player has several.

Guest Guest
If you want to see "superstitions"...just walk into an RCC at a funeral service. Just one example includes...the priest swinging a "smoke-filled" canister hanging from a chain over the coffin. This is "supposed" to take the spirit of the person up to heaven. :loco

That is quite strange for a funeral service. Because I came out of the Eastern church (which is a superstitious system) I carried with me some little baggages like this one but I definitely must leave everything behind.

Superstitions are based upon the concept of fear and "luck". Scripture is clear that God is in control of all things, therefore there is and can be no such thing as "luck".

If we hide in our home or expect "bad luck" all day on a Friday the 13th, for example, we are basically saying that we fear the "bad luck" of that day more than we trust God to care for us on that day just like all days.

If we carry a rabbits foot, have a "lucky" bowling shirt, or a "lucky" game hat, or a "good luck" necklace or something like this we putting our faith in these objects to bring good things our way rather than God.

Superstitions often involve idolotry (because we put an object ahead of God), unreasonable fear which leads us to not put our full trust and faith in God at certain times, and is bound up in sin in all its forms.

Yes, and baseball players will wear the same pair of sox's all season with out washing them hoping that is the reason they don't lose. How stupid.

I'm a follower of Jesus Christ, I don't believe in luck, whether good or bad.

I suppose some people will not walk under a ladder for fear of bad luck, I don't walk under the ladder just in case the person that is on it drops something that might hit me on my head.

Some people will turn back if a black cat walks in front of them, that does not bother me the least bit, I keep going.

Superstition and God just does not seem to go together.

As others have said, God still sets on the throne and this world is still under His control, anything that takes place, He is the One who allows it.

It was interesting seeing several elevators in Korea with 1,2,3,F,5,6,7,etc. floor buttons. Replacing the fourth floor with "F" in order to avoid making the floor unlucky. And people actually went so far in the superstition as to build a whole building like that. :frog

Guest Guest
That is quite strange for a funeral service. Because I came out of the Eastern church (which is a superstitious system) I carried with me some little baggages like this one but I definitely must leave everything behind.

I love leaving these "little baggages" behind in the RCC. They are very silly, IMO. I never understood them to begin with. Everyone has heard RCC people burying St. Joseph upside down in the garden for good crops. Then, there are the rosary beads strung out across the bushes in front of your house. This is supposed to bring rain. :puzzled:

Speaking of "luck"...my mom told me that the Leprechauns in Ireland are actually midgets. She said the Irish just have a little too much drink is all, and they imagine little green men. :lol

It was interesting seeing several elevators in Korea with 1' date='2,3,F,5,6,7,etc. floor buttons. Replacing the fourth floor with "F" in order to avoid making the floor unlucky. And people actually went so far in the superstition as to build a whole building like that. :frog[/quote']

There are still some buildings here in America that don't have a 13th floor, or no room 13, etc. :roll

Guest Guest
There are still some buildings here in America that don't have a 13th floor' date=' or no room 13, etc.[/quote']

I know this is true. Didn't the Twin Towers that went down during 9-11 have missing 13th floors? I thought I heard this, somewhere. BTW, my second oldest brother lost a college friend in the towers, and the other college friend was the guy that carried the pregnant woman down all those floors. :smile

Yes, and baseball players will wear the same pair of sox's all season with out washing them hoping that is the reason they don't lose. How stupid.

I though maybe they lost count when they got to 12.

Stupid people, just because they put the number 14 on the 13th floor does not keep it from being the 13th floor.

Why are you calling people stupid? Sounds like the first time you called me stupid. I appreciate that Jerry, let me tell ya. Maybe you should quit insulting people.

Guest Guest
just because they put the number 14 on the 13th floor does not keep it from being the 13th floor.

:loll: True. :lol I never thought of that one. :thumb

Guest Guest
[quote="Jerry80871852"]
Stupid people, just because they put the number 14 on the 13th floor does not keep it from being the 13th floor.[/quote]

Same in Japan with number 4 which is pronounced death so there isn't any house with this number. Also there is a trend with dreamcatchers. I personally hate them, but one of my relatives refuses to sleep without that nasty thing above his head.

[quote="jchahl"][quote="Jerry80871852"]Yes, and baseball players will wear the same pair of sox's all season with out washing them hoping that is the reason they don't lose. How stupid.
[/quote]

[quote="Jerry80871852"]
I though maybe they lost count when they got to 12.

Stupid people, just because they put the number 14 on the 13th floor does not keep it from being the 13th floor.[/quote]

Why are you calling people stupid? Sounds like the first time you called me stupid. I appreciate that Jerry, let me tell ya. Maybe you should quit insulting people.[/quote]

For that is what I think it is, its stupid to have such superstitions, what ever it might be. A pair of dirty socks is not going to influence the outcome of a baseball game.

And why would a child of God ever think like that?

Have you ever thought about how insulting it is to Jesus for you to be superstitious?

Guest Guest
Superstition is directly from paganism, pure and simple. People might not always think of it that way, but that is what it is. Scripture directs us not to be superstitious, and I am not. :Green

Guest Guest
[quote="Seth Doty"]Superstition is directly from paganism, pure and simple. People might not always think of it that way, but that is what it is. Scripture directs us not to be superstitious, and I am not.[/quote]

:amen: :goodpost:

Hey, Seth just remember not to meet your future wife on the 13th floor of an elevator, under a ladder, or nearby a black cat. :lol :roll Your marriage will be cursed. :lol Sorry, I couldn't resist. :thumb

Guest Guest

I think I can handle that. :Bleh I don't have any plans to meet a "future wife" at all, I don't go up much in tall buildings, I don't like cats, and I try not to stand under ladders period. :lol:

Guest Guest
I think I can handle that. :Bleh I don't have any plans to meet a "future wife" at all' date=' I don't go up much in tall buildings, I don't like cats, and I try not to stand under ladders period. :lol:[/quote']

God will send her when He feels it is the right time. BTW, I met my hubby at our old IFB church. Yep---right inside the church. I was at the top of the stairs in July of 1999---dropping my son, and the neighbor kids off for VBS. Joe was walking up the stairs, and our eyes locked. :thumb My mom told me I would meet my hubby in church or in the library. She didn't think it was going to be the IFB church, though. :lol Now, that isn't "silly superstition" that is the Holy Spirit. :amen:

Guest Guest
God will send her when He feels it is the right time.

Well.... Maybe... I suppose that is a possibility... but... I certainly am in no hurry. I am rather severely anti-social in person, It is tough to get more than a half dozen words out of me. The only reason I talk on the internet is due to the fact I don't know anyone here. I enjoy a degree of solitude, I don't know that I could appropriately deal with someone 24/7. I really don't feel like I am missing a rib. :Bleh

Guest Guest

That is certainly fine. Many men and women of God are perfectly happy being by themselves--and, with the Lord. I don't know if you have a calling---but, I know several single men who are Evangelists. Then, again---you would have to be social. You could just be one of those "behind the scenes" kind of men, though. JMO. Of course, your probably content with your life the way it is. I will stop now. :lol