• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Superstitions

• Members

This is from KJBPrincess' wedding planning thread.

I split this section into a new topic. I'm not trying to pick on you, KJBprincess. After reading something from my son's homeschool material, I just thought it would make a good discussion.

To everyone: In this thread, please discuss superstitions you have encountered.

KJBprincess wrote:

(plus, I'd rather have the 12th than the 13th anyway, because 13 really isn't a good number in the Bible...hehe)

Majorly :ot: :lol What is Biblically wrong with 13?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remember where I exactly heard it.. but I remember it being the number of rebellion, or something. I'll have to look that one up and get back to you... :saint

• Members

:goodpost: :thumb

We can be very thankful that the LORD Jesus set us free from any and all superstitions and bondages thereof.

Observance and carefulness of signs, wonders, and any such-like stuff is all borne of bondage from Satan. We are called to victory and are free to serve the LORD.

Well, I still can't find it.. but I still don't like the number 13, even though I know there's no "evil" attached to any number. I just know that certain numbers represent some things (like 7 represents God's perfection), and Biblical numerics is an interesting subject.

Anyhow... the subject's wayyy off-topic now. I don't think it should matter to anyone else what numbers I like and don't like anyway. It's my wedding! :Bleh

• Members

This discussion and

The one about Halloween where ZYG was saying that God made October 31 and that we should not give it to the devil but rather glorify God

And the following article I am going to post all made me wonder what superstitions you have encountered, still believe, have overcome, etc.

The Study Of Numbers

During the early Middle Ages, the Catholic Church considered arithmetic to be evil. "How can the science of numbers be good when it is advanced by the pagan Greeks and Arabs?" the church rulers argued. A person who was good at figures was often thought to be a magician. When a scholar wrote a book on geometry, he was accused of dabbling in black magic.

Finally, a brave teacher named Rabanus Maurus decided that numbers could not be bad, because Jesus had said that the very hairs of our heads are numbered. Rabanus began to teach his pupils arithmetic, and gradually the science of counting and measuring by numbers became accepted.

• Members

I don't believe in superstitions... except the 666 mark (Even if they put it there out of mockery, they don't know is that they are doing devil's work anyway. No christians would laugh at stuffs like that)

on friday the 13, I will be out and shopping.

I did have a bad Oct. 31 this year though. I have a narrow driveway with big stone wall on each side.. and after all these years, My dented my van for the first time on the stone wall.

• Members

Okie dokie, continuing right along with superstions. :lol

Here are some that my parents, even though they claimed to be true, genuinely born-again believers, had the following criteria by which they lived.

***Plant NOTHING in the ground (((((we had a humongous 1-1/2 acre garden and all manner of other good stuff growing))))) unless the signs of the moon and stars siad that it was ok to plant. We planted root veggies in the down sign of the moon, so the roots would go deep and grow huge. We planted above ground veggies in the up-sign of the moon so the plants would grow big and tall. Th signs of the stars had to be right too.

***Don't tell anybody anything at all about future plans or they will fall flat.

***Throw a little salt over the shoulder to ward off evil if we spilled any.

***Even though cats are good and excellent mouse-ridders, black cats will bring all manner of bad luck.

***DO NOT EVEN THINK OF BEGINNING THE DAY WITHOUT CHECKING THE HOROSCOPE FIRST!!!!!!!!!!

***Any and all Halloween traditions and customs must be followed to the letter for good luck thruout the coming year. Failure to observe this is asking for trouble of the worst degree.

***For New Years dinner there must be big beans and little beans eaten for financial prosperity thruout the year. The big beans pay the big bills and the little beans pay the little bills.

***Do not work on the Saturday between Good Friday and Easter. It is extremely bad luck to do so. Whatever you do will fall flat, and go bad.

***Do not touch a needle on Sundays. Especially do not sew anything. "Whatever stitches you put in on Sunday you will pull out on Monday."

***Do not plant anything on Ascension Day. (((((((It's 40 days after Easter and always on Thursday.))))))) The ants will eat it.

***Special numbers were exceedingly crucial::::::: E.G. If we had something occur and it involved the number 13 or 666 it was very baaaaaaaaaaaaaad. We did what we could to have it changed. E.G. One time dad got a license plate with the number 13 in it. He went to the court house and paid a hefty fee and got another one.

There were a bazillion others but these are right off the top of my head.

I thank God that He has delivered me from any and all bondage of this nature.

• Members
Okie dokie, continuing right along with superstions. :lol

Here are some that my parents, even though they claimed to be true, genuinely born-again believers, had the following criteria by which they lived.

***Plant NOTHING in the ground (((((we had a humongous 1-1/2 acre garden and all manner of other good stuff growing))))) unless the signs of the moon and stars siad that it was ok to plant. We planted root veggies in the down sign of the moon, so the roots would go deep and grow huge. We planted above ground veggies in the up-sign of the moon so the plants would grow big and tall. Th signs of the stars had to be right too.

***Don't tell anybody anything at all about future plans or they will fall flat.

***Throw a little salt over the shoulder to ward off evil if we spilled any.

***Even though cats are good and excellent mouse-ridders, black cats will bring all manner of bad luck.

***DO NOT EVEN THINK OF BEGINNING THE DAY WITHOUT CHECKING THE HOROSCOPE FIRST!!!!!!!!!!

***Any and all Halloween traditions and customs must be followed to the letter for good luck thruout the coming year. Failure to observe this is asking for trouble of the worst degree.

***For New Years dinner there must be big beans and little beans eaten for financial prosperity thruout the year. The big beans pay the big bills and the little beans pay the little bills.

***Do not work on the Saturday between Good Friday and Easter. It is extremely bad luck to do so. Whatever you do will fall flat, and go bad.

***Do not touch a needle on Sundays. Especially do not sew anything. "Whatever stitches you put in on Sunday you will pull out on Monday."

***Do not plant anything on Ascension Day. (((((((It's 40 days after Easter and always on Thursday.))))))) The ants will eat it.

***Special numbers were exceedingly crucial::::::: E.G. If we had something occur and it involved the number 13 or 666 it was very baaaaaaaaaaaaaad. We did what we could to have it changed. E.G. One time dad got a license plate with the number 13 in it. He went to the court house and paid a hefty fee and got another one.

There were a bazillion others but these are right off the top of my head.

I thank God that He has delivered me from any and all bondage of this nature.

Hey! You forgot the 7 year bad luck when you break a mirror!! Why do people propagate such nonesense???? I was just 6 or 7 when I broke a small mirror accidentally, and some teasing adult told me I would have 7 years bad luck....I was scared to death and immediately sat down and calculated at what age my life would return to normal. I've heard the farming/moon thing before and I've heard that many farmers take it quite seriously! Like you, I am glad the Lord delivered us from that type of bondage!!

• Members
Hey! You forgot the 7 year bad luck when you break a mirror!! Why do people propagate such nonesense???? I was just 6 or 7 when I broke a small mirror accidentally' date=' and some teasing adult told me I would have 7 years bad luck....I was scared to death and immediately sat down and calculated at what age my life would return to normal. I've heard the farming/moon thing before and I've heard that many farmers take it quite seriously! Like you, I am glad the Lord delivered us from that type of bondage!![/quote']

Me too I'm glad to be delivered from all of that. Now my wife and I look at everything that God made (which includes numbers) and rejoice in them.

• Members

I don't think the 13th day of a month is evil (except for in reference to a passage in Esther, where the 13th day evil was decided upon, and another 13th day was chosen as the execution of that evil deed**) - but the Bible does use the number 13 in various places to represent rebellion. Nimrod, who built the tower of Babel is the 13th generation from creation.

Genesis 13:13 But the men of Sodom were wicked and sinners before the LORD exceedingly.

Now, I don't make a big thing out of verse numbers, but I do find it interesting. Revelation 13 is where we see the world rebelling against God and receiving the mark of the beast. 2 Samuel 13 is where David's family fell apart and Absalom rebelled.

Mark 7:21-23 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness: All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.

13 things, indicating the rebellion of the human heart - Matthew 15 shows 7 things, indicating the complete wickedness of our hearts apart from Christ.

1 Timothy 1:9-10 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

13 categories (assuming "murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers" is the same thing).

Some more:

Genesis 14:4 Twelve years they served Chedorlaomer, and in the thirteenth year they rebelled.

**Esther 3:12-13 Then were the king's scribes called on the thirteenth day of the first month, and there was written according to all that Haman had commanded unto the king's lieutenants, and to the governors that were over every province, and to the rulers of every people of every province according to the writing thereof, and to every people after their language; in the name of king Ahasuerus was it written, and sealed with the king's ring. And the letters were sent by posts into all the king's provinces, to destroy, to kill, and to cause to perish, all Jews, both young and old, little children and women, in one day, even upon the thirteenth day of the twelfth month, which is the month Adar, and to take the spoil of them for a prey.

Kings of Judah: 7 good, 13 wicked.

Judges contains 12 judges - in a book dealing with the rebellion of the nation of Israel, ending on the note of apostasy. Othniel, Ehud, Shamgar, Barak, Gideon, Tola, Jair, Jephthah, Ibzan, Elon, Abdon, Samson, Eli being the 13th, and Samuel the 14th (showing the complete reign of the Judges - just like Matthew shows 14 kings, 14 people in each section).

1 Kings 7:1 But Solomon was building his own house thirteen years, and he finished all his house.

Solomon took seven years to build the temple - and 13 to build his own house! To me, that indicates self-seeking, a heart that is now beginning to wander from the Lord.

These are all that come to mind right now - I would not interpret any passages a certain way based on a number used in them, but it is significant to note what numbers are associated with which events/passages in the Bible.

Thanks Jerry. I had other things to do and didn't have time to research that today.

I'm not superstitious about dates, and the choice to use the 12th instead of the 13th wasn't just because of the number... it's also because Saturday is more convenient for a wedding than Sunday. It's not like I'm going to think I'm stuck with a rebellious child if I have a kid born on the 13th of a month someday, but I'd just rather not plan a special day with that date. Personal preference, not conviction. :smile