• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Superstitions

Guest Guest

If you want to see "superstitions"...just walk into an RCC at a funeral service. Just one example includes...the priest swinging a "smoke-filled" canister hanging from a chain over the coffin. This is "supposed" to take the spirit of the person up to heaven. :loco

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Another place to meet superstitious people is on a baseball field. Baseball players do so many things in order to keep from ruining a hot streak or to break out of a slump. For example, if I'm pitching, I won't start a game without a mouthful of sunflower seeds. If I'm unhappy with my pitching, I'll blame the seeds and stop eating them. I never bat with seeds, either. That's just one of my many little quirks when I play ball. Every player has several.

Guest Guest
If you want to see "superstitions"...just walk into an RCC at a funeral service. Just one example includes...the priest swinging a "smoke-filled" canister hanging from a chain over the coffin. This is "supposed" to take the spirit of the person up to heaven. :loco

That is quite strange for a funeral service. Because I came out of the Eastern church (which is a superstitious system) I carried with me some little baggages like this one but I definitely must leave everything behind.

• Members

Superstitions are based upon the concept of fear and "luck". Scripture is clear that God is in control of all things, therefore there is and can be no such thing as "luck".

If we hide in our home or expect "bad luck" all day on a Friday the 13th, for example, we are basically saying that we fear the "bad luck" of that day more than we trust God to care for us on that day just like all days.

If we carry a rabbits foot, have a "lucky" bowling shirt, or a "lucky" game hat, or a "good luck" necklace or something like this we putting our faith in these objects to bring good things our way rather than God.

Superstitions often involve idolotry (because we put an object ahead of God), unreasonable fear which leads us to not put our full trust and faith in God at certain times, and is bound up in sin in all its forms.

• Members

Yes, and baseball players will wear the same pair of sox's all season with out washing them hoping that is the reason they don't lose. How stupid.

I'm a follower of Jesus Christ, I don't believe in luck, whether good or bad.

I suppose some people will not walk under a ladder for fear of bad luck, I don't walk under the ladder just in case the person that is on it drops something that might hit me on my head.

Some people will turn back if a black cat walks in front of them, that does not bother me the least bit, I keep going.

Superstition and God just does not seem to go together.

As others have said, God still sets on the throne and this world is still under His control, anything that takes place, He is the One who allows it.

• Members

It was interesting seeing several elevators in Korea with 1,2,3,F,5,6,7,etc. floor buttons. Replacing the fourth floor with "F" in order to avoid making the floor unlucky. And people actually went so far in the superstition as to build a whole building like that. :frog

Guest Guest
That is quite strange for a funeral service. Because I came out of the Eastern church (which is a superstitious system) I carried with me some little baggages like this one but I definitely must leave everything behind.

I love leaving these "little baggages" behind in the RCC. They are very silly, IMO. I never understood them to begin with. Everyone has heard RCC people burying St. Joseph upside down in the garden for good crops. Then, there are the rosary beads strung out across the bushes in front of your house. This is supposed to bring rain. :puzzled:

Speaking of "luck"...my mom told me that the Leprechauns in Ireland are actually midgets. She said the Irish just have a little too much drink is all, and they imagine little green men. :lol

• Members
It was interesting seeing several elevators in Korea with 1' date='2,3,F,5,6,7,etc. floor buttons. Replacing the fourth floor with "F" in order to avoid making the floor unlucky. And people actually went so far in the superstition as to build a whole building like that. :frog[/quote']

There are still some buildings here in America that don't have a 13th floor, or no room 13, etc. :roll

Guest Guest
There are still some buildings here in America that don't have a 13th floor' date=' or no room 13, etc.[/quote']

I know this is true. Didn't the Twin Towers that went down during 9-11 have missing 13th floors? I thought I heard this, somewhere. BTW, my second oldest brother lost a college friend in the towers, and the other college friend was the guy that carried the pregnant woman down all those floors. :smile

• Members
Yes, and baseball players will wear the same pair of sox's all season with out washing them hoping that is the reason they don't lose. How stupid.

I though maybe they lost count when they got to 12.

Stupid people, just because they put the number 14 on the 13th floor does not keep it from being the 13th floor.

Why are you calling people stupid? Sounds like the first time you called me stupid. I appreciate that Jerry, let me tell ya. Maybe you should quit insulting people.

Guest Guest
just because they put the number 14 on the 13th floor does not keep it from being the 13th floor.

:loll: True. :lol I never thought of that one. :thumb

Guest Guest

[quote="Jerry80871852"]
Stupid people, just because they put the number 14 on the 13th floor does not keep it from being the 13th floor.[/quote]

Same in Japan with number 4 which is pronounced death so there isn't any house with this number. Also there is a trend with dreamcatchers. I personally hate them, but one of my relatives refuses to sleep without that nasty thing above his head.

• Members

[quote="jchahl"][quote="Jerry80871852"]Yes, and baseball players will wear the same pair of sox's all season with out washing them hoping that is the reason they don't lose. How stupid.
[/quote]

[quote="Jerry80871852"]
I though maybe they lost count when they got to 12.

Stupid people, just because they put the number 14 on the 13th floor does not keep it from being the 13th floor.[/quote]

Why are you calling people stupid? Sounds like the first time you called me stupid. I appreciate that Jerry, let me tell ya. Maybe you should quit insulting people.[/quote]

For that is what I think it is, its stupid to have such superstitions, what ever it might be. A pair of dirty socks is not going to influence the outcome of a baseball game.

And why would a child of God ever think like that?

Have you ever thought about how insulting it is to Jesus for you to be superstitious?

Guest Guest

Superstition is directly from paganism, pure and simple. People might not always think of it that way, but that is what it is. Scripture directs us not to be superstitious, and I am not. :Green