• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Faith Promise Missions

• Members

Actually it is God telling you how much to give. Who am I to say that God can't me how much to give? Only God know the future. Some of us are limiting God by saying what he can't do. If God can't tell me how to give ahead of time, who is the one telling me? Satan? My flesh? Jim Bob on the sound system?

I agree we should give as God directs. We give as God directs and during the course of a year God will sometimes direct us to give more or give additionally elsewhere.

However, with the faith promise thing, what I've seen is folks just saying, "well, we'll give God 10,000 dollars so long as God provides us with the extra 10,000 dollars to give".

It's not a matter of prayer (and perhaps fasting) in order to determine God's will in these regards. It also doesn't appear to have anything to do with sacrificial giving since they say they will give IF God provides them the extra money to give.

Perhaps you are speaking of something different than what I'm familiar with.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

...but that is exactly what Faith Promise is. Salvation is presented in many different ways too, but we all know that their is only one way. Just because some may have a wrong definition of Faith Promise, does not make the true meaning of Faith Promise wrong. How does that saying go? "You do not throw out the baby with the bath water".

• Members

...but that is exactly what Faith Promise is. Salvation is presented in many different ways too, but we all know that their is only one way. Just because some may have a wrong definition of Faith Promise, does not make the true meaning of Faith Promise wrong. How does that saying go? "You do not throw out the baby with the bath water".

I agree with what you are saying but I've never heard Faith Promise given the definition you have (I agree with your definition being biblical).

• Members

I agree with this but that's not how I've seen Faith Promise giving applied.

Sadly... I've seen Faith Promise so poorly presented and explained that it's a wonder to me that anyone in the congregation "gets it." I've also seen it "peached" as several different things in several different ways.

• Members

Amen brother. I don't thinl some of these people have seen faith promise presented our applied like it is suppose to be.

• Members

What I am saying is that Faith Promise is giving 100% of what God tells you to give. Nothing less and nothing more. Anything else is not Faith Promise giving.

I really wouldn't call that "faith promise"...I would call that "obedience"....doing what God has already told you to do:

For if there be first a willing mind, it is accepted according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not. (2 Corinthians 8:12)

But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully. Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver. (2 Corinthians 9:6-7)

The way "faith promise" is presented (at our church anyway) is promising to give a certain amount to missions (a year in advance). IMHO, I believe that is "testing" God. I trust God to "provide all my needs according to His riches by Christ Jesus"...that's where the faith comes in.