• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Faith Promise Missions

• Members
Faith Promise is giving what you have. Unless churches start taking credit cards' date=' it is hard to give something you do not have. In Faith Promise, you give what God provided for you.[/quote']

Faith Promise relies upon our future expectations.

Biblical giving relies upon God's present provision.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
Faith Promise relies upon our future expectations.
:lol: Wait a second.

Faith Promise is giving what God tells you to give. So if God tells me to give such amount each week to missions, it is not future expectations, but rather God's Promise and Faith. It was not my decision on how much to give.

• Members
Faith Promise relies upon our future expectations. Biblical giving relies upon God's present provision.
I guess "walk by faith, not by sight" doesn't mean much. It's a good thing missionaries don't take this advice, or they could never get to the field. They put their "faith" in the "promises" of churches to provide their monthly support. If we ask our missionaries to walk by faith, why can't we do the same toward getting them to the field?

Mitch

• Members
Faith Promise is giving what God tells you to give.

God (in His word) already tells me what to give:

#1 - The first fruits of all my increase - Proverbs 3:9,10

Notice it says - "Honour the Lord with thy substance" (present possession not future expectations)

#2 - Tithes and offerings - Malachi 3:8

How can I give tithes and offerings from something I don't already have?

God (in His word) tells us how and when to give:

#1 - How we should give

With a willing and cheerful heart - 2 Corinthians 9:7

#2 - When we should give

Upon the first day of the week - 1 Corinthians 16:1,2

God's not looking for promises, He is looking for obedience.

• Members

Why is it so hard to figure out that you can't give money you don't have.

If you don't have it, you can't give it...

If you don't..

oh, I am repeating my self...

Faith promise is you asking God...

"God, what would you have me give this year."

God: $xxx.xx

"God if you provide it... I will give it."

Why is that so hard to understand?

You are never giving something you don't have.

Besides which all those who are barking "increase, increase" are speaking of their tithes... not sacrificial giving, which is totally different.

I suggest a study of Acts 4 and 5 and Ananias and Sapphira.

They promised to give something they didn't have... money from the sale of their land. They committed to give ALL.

It wasn't an "oath" in the manner that folks keep quoting (really need to study the context of the "oath" passages as they relate to swearing something "by God", thus profaning God, but that's another rabbit for another trail) it was simply their commitment... which God took seriously.

When God laid on their heart to give it all... he knew how much they were going to get, and he had it set aside for a purpose. They frustrated the Spirit of God.

BTW, our church had about 65 in attendance last week (our home church) and they support 28 missionaries with at least 75.00 a month, with others over 200.00 a month.

Give me a missions minded church any day. And I dare say that anyone who believes this is a "scam" to fleece the flock, needs an attitude adjustment.

• Members

God has already provided the funds to give; through our jobs, occupation, ministry, ect. God gives us the power to get wealth. Deut. 8:18

They promised to give something they didn't have... money from the sale of their land. They committed to give ALL.

The land was already in their possession. They weren't asking God for it. Note: The scriptures seem to indicate that they intended to deceive the apostles from the start.

• Administrators

God (in His word) already tells me what to give:

#1 - The first fruits of all my increase - Proverbs 3:9,10

Notice it says - "Honour the Lord with thy substance" (present possession not future expectations)

#2 - Tithes and offerings - Malachi 3:8

How can I give tithes and offerings from something I don't already have?

God (in His word) tells us how and when to give:

#1 - How we should give

With a willing and cheerful heart - 2 Corinthians 9:7

#2 - When we should give

Upon the first day of the week - 1 Corinthians 16:1,2

Which of those verses tells you exactly how much you are to give? You are missing the big picture here.

• Administrators

The land was already in their possession. They weren't asking God for it. Note: The scriptures seem to indicate that they intended to deceive the apostles from the start.
They were not giving away the land, but rather the money from the sale. :lol:
Therefore, they were counting on God to provide money from the land.

• Members

God endows believers with spiritual gifts, and has specific ministries for us all. For some that will mean witnessing in areas and to people where it is not available, either initially leading them to Jesus or helping them grow in the truth. Therefore in the biblical sense "missionaries" are evangelists and pastor/teachers who are led by the Lord into fields of ministry beyond their current geography. In 3 Jn.7 we read that such "missionaries" "for his name's sake they went forth", that is, they decided to respond to the promptings of the Spirit and take up the specific ministry they were led to do. We also read in that context that we ought to send them on their way in a worthy manner that we ought to show hospitality to them in order that we may work together for the truth. In other words, missionaries are very special people (assuming they are genuine, that their calling is genuine, that they are properly prepared, and that they are genuinely responding to a true call from God in a good and proper way - this is assuming quite a lot, and many no doubt do meet these criteria). Since missionaries are special, good and genuine ones give others an opportunity to join in the work of the kingdom. They can participate in God's work by giving them some financial support. It is a blessing to find legitimate ones. It is a travesty to treat them poorly or shabbily.

But who needs faith promises? If you're going to support a mission/missionary, good. Then do so. If not, then not. All things are to be done decently and in good order. All of us ought to be ready to happily give an account for whatever resources we have been entrusted with, and especially in the case of money, since it provides so many with such great temptations for misuse, abuse, and theft. Through strict accounting, we do all who are entrusted with money in the church a favor by institutionally taking away any sort opportunity for wrong-doing. Everything should open to the light.

But of course in the reality in which we find ourselves, very few local churches are good stewards of the vast amounts of money they rake in, and squander it on all sorts of worthless things - like buildings et al. Generally speaking, missions rank low. Instead of supporting people who are genuinely giving their lives to the Lord in this sacrificial way, the trend nowadays is to take "mission-trips" so that the pastor and select members of his flock can feel spiritual for taking a two week vacation. In my view, it would be so much better to take those thousands of dollars that were spent and give them to worthwhile missionaries who were there full time. Missions tend to put up with this stuff because they have bought into "PR", and the feeling is that the more people who come "and see what they're doing", the more money will be given. The problem is that on the one hand it creates a false sense of Christian service on the part of those taking the trips, and on the other side missions that buy into this way of thinking inevitably begin to place finances and the process of procuring them ahead of serving the Lord - neither of which trends is spiritually salutatory.

Love,
Madeline

• Members

Annanias and Sapphira were liars and cheats. Hardly good examples of Faith Promise Giving. Their intent was to deceive the apostles and make themselves appear to be super spiritual.

• Members

Annanias and Sapphira were liars and cheats. Hardly good examples of Faith Promise Giving. Their intent was to deceive the apostles and make themselves appear to be super spiritual.

Not having spoken to you very much before, pardon me if I say... "I think you are intentionally missing the point because it fits into what you WANT to believe".

Again, study the chapter... they were responding to

Acts 4:18-37 18 And they called them, and commanded them not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus. 19 But Peter and John answered and said unto them, Whether it be right in the sight of God to hearken unto you more than unto God, judge ye. 20 For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard. 21 So when they had further threatened them, they let them go, finding nothing how they might punish them, because of the people: for all men glorified God for that which was done. 22 For the man was above forty years old, on whom this miracle of healing was shewed. 23 And being let go, they went to their own company, and reported all that the chief priests and elders had said unto them. 24 And when they heard that, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, Lord, thou art God, which hast made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is: 25 Who by the mouth of thy servant David hast said, Why did the heathen rage, and the people imagine vain things? 26 The kings of the earth stood up, and the rulers were gathered together against the Lord, and against his Christ. 27 For of a truth against thy holy child Jesus, whom thou hast anointed, both Herod, and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles, and the people of Israel, were gathered together, 28 For to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done. 29 And now, Lord, behold their threatenings: and grant unto thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak thy word, 30 By stretching forth thine hand to heal; and that signs and wonders may be done by the name of thy holy child Jesus. 31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness. 32 And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common. 33 And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all. 34 Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold, 35 And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need. 36 And Joses, who by the apostles was surnamed Barnabas, (which is, being interpreted, The son of consolation,) a Levite, and of the country of Cyprus, 37 Having land, sold it, and brought the money, and laid it at the apostles' feet.

Isn't it funny that all these folks sold what they had and gave to those who were in need...

Why were they in need? Was it just a bunch of no good, lazy spend thrifts that got saved?

No, upon further study, we see that the HOLY SPIRIT moved them to sell and distribute their wealth at the DIRECT response to this prayer:

Acts 4:27-31 27 For of a truth against thy holy child Jesus, whom thou hast anointed, both Herod, and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles, and the people of Israel, were gathered together, 28 For to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done. 29 And now, Lord, behold their threatenings: and grant unto thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak thy word, 30 By stretching forth thine hand to heal; and that signs and wonders may be done by the name of thy holy child Jesus. 31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.

These folks had been threatened, isolated, shunned... jobs lost, families turn their back on them... all to spread the Gospel.

Nah... I think I have a pretty good idea what Ananias and Sapphira were responding too... they responded to the moving of the Lord amongst his people and then they got selfish when God blessed them with a good profit on their land... and they figured... hey, whose it going to hurt to hold a little back???

Acts 5:3-4 3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land? 4 Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.

Paint it any way you like... the scriptures speak clearly...

In order to promote the Gospel, those who WILLINGLY participated, made a commitment. Totally biblical and totally of God. Notice who they lied to... Yup, the HOLY GHOST.

• Members
Why is it so hard to figure out that you can't give money you don't have.

If you don't have it, you can't give it...

If you don't..

oh, I am repeating my self...

Why is that so hard to understand?

You are never giving something you don't have.

Besides which all those who are barking "increase, increase" are speaking of their tithes... not sacrificial giving, which is totally different.

It wasn't an "oath" in the manner that folks keep quoting (really need to study the context of the "oath" passages as they relate to swearing something "by God", thus profaning God, but that's another rabbit for another trail) it was simply their commitment... which God took seriously.

When God laid on their heart to give it all... he knew how much they were going to get, and he had it set aside for a purpose. They frustrated the Spirit of God.

BTW, our church had about 65 in attendance last week (our home church) and they support 28 missionaries with at least 75.00 a month, with others over 200.00 a month.

Give me a missions minded church any day. And I dare say that anyone who believes this is a "scam" to fleece the flock, needs an attitude adjustment.

I have no problem with people in their own prayers asking God what they should give and doing that. However, proclaiming how much you will give or saying how much you did give; making promises before men is not prudent and is certainly discouraged in the scriptures. Keep it between you and God and he will deal with whom is faithful accordingly. I would much rather do something for the Lord and have it be only known by God, then to have it be known publicly and receive the praises of men.

"Take heed that ye do not your alms before men to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven. Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what they right hand doeth: That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly. "

-Jesus Christ our Lord

• Members
I would much rather do something for the Lord and have it be only known by God, then to have it be known publicly and receive the praises of men.
And that's exactly what Faith Promise does. You and God decide what you'll give. You simply write only that figure on a card and turn it in, so the church has some idea what to expect. It's an administrative tool to help determine the missions budget.