• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Does Psychology have any place in the Church?

• Members
... they are predictable. You may observe the inside of cells and how they function' date=' you may watch them reproduce, under a set of certain predictable circumstances you can cause cells to reproduce exactly how you want them to. My husband does this all the time in cell culture--he is a cancer researcher. This is called [b']science. It is observable, testable and repeatable. period. Psychology is not. You can see the brain, you can see nerve cells. You can test nerve "impulses". That is the physical aspect of our bodies. There is a non-flesh aspect to our bodies that is NOT predictable, and cannot be seen. Only God can see our thoughts and they are not observable, testable and repeatable by a researcher. You can point to studies all you want about how they can stimulate certain parts of the brain to elicit emotion, but they are still only stimulating the physical, not the non-physical. Am I saying throw out all psychology--not necessarily, but keep it in its place--it is not science, and cannot be compared to biology!

Amen. Psychology is not a science despite what it's proponents say. Instead of dealing with the spiritual it deals with the mental. I reject it outright, especially the term Christian Psychology, it's an oxymoron. psychology has NO place in the church. Christianity and psychology were enemies in "evangelical" circles at least until the 1960s. It is not far from the truth to say that the modern church has been invaded by pop-psychology on a grand scale. The sufficiency of Scripture is a subject that many are soft on. The modern church has abandoned or forgotten our resources in Christ Jesus altogether. The physical side as discussed by Dwayne is of course a different matter, it would be criminal to withhold medication in such cases.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think there is a confusion of terms here. You guys seem to be talking about psychology as it applies to solving man's problems. Psyche(mind) + ologys(study of) means the study of the mind. There is nothing unbiblical about it and you will find that there are many branches of psychology if you do the research, most of which are completely innocent, if not beneficial.

• Members
As with our previous discussion on Yoga' date=' you seem to be giving psychology a new definition as well. Just as stretching and exercises in themselves are [u']not Yoga, looking at human behavior or personalities in itself is not psychology. By confusing these terminologies you are unwittingly (I assume) defending one of the most humanistic institutions of the last 2000 years: the study of the God-given, invisible portion of the human being from Satan-given perspectives.

To be clear, I am speaking of psychology in the church fellowship and in the church membership.

No one said that psychology must be used to witness, I was simply stating that one of our primary functions as Christians is not born upon by psychology; neither are any other commandments from God's word: that makes psychology unnecessary for the Christian, does it not? Its absence from God's word was only given as backing for the idea that it is not a necessity. Psychology is against God's word, so by that we have discernment that it should be thrown out.

What purpose outside of addressing problems is there within psychology?

All we need to know about the human soul is completely covered by the Bible. Who could tell us more than God?

Again, if you think that studying personalities is interesting and helpful, that is fine. Just don't call that psychology, because it isn't, especially if it is based on the Bible.

:amen: :thumb

I agree, psychiatrist treatment goes against Bible treatment, although many want to combine the 2, you can not combine God's Word with men's thinking and come up with the truth. God's truth stand on its own, any time you mix men's word with it you corrupt God's Word. The sad thing is many Christians want to mix the 2.

I to have a sister whose brain is messed up, medicines does help her very much.

It always gets me when some claim to be insane and kill someone, some stupid psychiatrist will pronounce them healed after a while, them the judge will free them, them they do it again, that in itself proves no one can read the mind. Insanity is a cop out, to keep the blame of murder off of self or I should say sin.

Man truly does not like to take responsibility for their own actions, committing sin, if they would many more would be saved. Jesus Christ is our only answer to sin. But man will use all kinds of excuses.

Now I will try to read the rest of the replies.