• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

MEN'S facial hair - what's your preference?

Men's facial hair - what's your preference?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Men's facial hair - what's your preference?

• Full long beard/mustache
    • Medium length beard/mustache
    • Neatly trimmed beard/mustache
    • Just a mustache
    • Goatee and mustache
    • Just a goatee
    • Just a beard
    • A few days worth of scratchy growth
    • No beard/mustache but long sideburns
    • NO facial hair - as smoothly shaven as possible please!
    • Other (please explain)

• Members
My wife wanted me to try a beard the year we got married. We had both been in a church that was extremely hostile toward facial hair (it supposedly meant you were a hippy' date=' since they were the only people in history to have beards :loco ). It is hard for me to imagine not having one now and the longer I've had it the thicker and better looking it gets (according to others).[/quote']

guilty as charged. :ooops i like it and think it looks really good. :Bleh

As far as other men go...I think it's a personal preference. :hide

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My husband has a goatee and I LOVE it. However he has stupid people that tell him it means he's in rebellion because it's "straight out of hollywood". Dumb.

By the way Jerry, I have no problem with women who want to leave the natural hair on their legs. I choose not to, but I don't care enough to look at other women's legs to find out what they do LOL and I don't care anyway.

• Members

If you will direct yourself to the first section you quoted of my last post "I have nothing wrong with clean shaven men." My point was that there are churches who think that it is rebellious for a man in the ministry to have facial hair. I don't think they can get that from the Bible, if so I would like to see the book, chapter and verse. I was merely stating that our Lord had a beard, why can't a preacher have one?

I was speaking with a missionary just the other day who has come home for furlough and the first thing he did was shave his beard. Now when he is in PNG, his beard is something that gains him respect from the men and provides him an inroad to give them the gospel. However he said that many of his supporting churches would not have a good spirit about having one here. I personally believe that as long as a man keeps his beard neatly trimmed it is fine to have one.

My purpose was not however to say that all men needed to have beards, some men look ridiculous with beards. But some men prefer having one, I don't think we should judge them because of their facial hair. Or think that they are any less serious about spreading the gospel because of it.

Also wanted to say that whether or not a lady shaves is her personal preference.

By the way, we just had a friend stay with us for a while and I heard her tell another friend of hers on the phone that any man that was clean shaven was a homosexual (she actually used another word but this word isn't as "strong")...that offended me even though my husband has a goatee.

• Members
By the way' date=' we just had a friend stay with us for a while and I heard her tell another friend of hers on the phone that any man that was clean shaven was a homosexual (she actually used another word but this word isn't as "strong")...that offended me even though my husband has a goatee.[/quote']

I don't believe they were referring to facial hair!

• Members
By the way' date=' we just had a friend stay with us for a while and I heard her tell another friend of hers on the phone that any man that was clean shaven was a homosexual (she actually used another word but this word isn't as "strong")...that offended me even though my husband has a goatee.[/quote']

WHAT?? That is by far one of the stupidest statements I've ever heard in my life. Whomever said that needs to grow up and think twice before they say such silly things.

edit: maybe saying 'stupid' was kinda harsh, but honestly!

trc, my friend was specifically talking about facial hair as her and her friend were discussing men with beards and she went on a whole rant about how she can't stand men who don't have facial hair.

• Administrators
trc' date=' my friend was specifically talking about facial hair as her and her friend were discussing men with beards and she went on a whole rant about how she can't stand men who don't have facial hair.[/quote']

Well, she wouldn't like my hubby, then. But that's okay - our world wouldn't end. :lol: It's too bad she obviously doesn't know what a homosexual is if she thinks the lack of a beard makes one...I know of some sodomites who have beards. :-S

• Members
trc' date=' my friend was specifically talking about facial hair as her and her friend were discussing men with beards and she went on a whole rant about how she can't stand men who don't have facial hair.[/quote']

I stand corrected. My apologies.

It's a matter of preference nowadays. In Jesus's time, because of the cultural setting, it was more common, but during this age, it does look a bit unusual.

• Members
I've never understood the cognizant disconnect on this subject.

How do you (everyone) feel about men shaving their chests and legs? Is that a choice that we are ok with also?

I'm not sure it's really any of my business what other men do. It's one of those intimate things in life that I just don't ask them about. :thumb

:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

You're totally right! I think she needs to get married... that might change her outlook on some things. :smile

I definitely like it better when my husband's face is smooth... I think a lot of wives would agree with me! (besides, his facial hair is really thick and when it grows out it's really rough)

Well, I am with the MAJORITY on this one. "No facial hair, as smooth shaven as possible." LOL. Although, my hubby likes to protest...no, not really...he just gets that "12 o'clock" shadow" every now and then. :lol: I have seen pictures of my hubby with his "first love" when he had a beard and/or goat thing (sorry, I can't spell it ) which are neither of my "personal" preferences. We joke around as a family...and, say he looked like a professor back then. It didn't like good on him, IMO. It is funny, for a man who owns his own "auto restoration" business. A professor? :lol He couldn't stand school...that is why he laughs about marrying a school teacher. :clap: His first (and, only other girlfriend) taught special education, as well. :puzzled: How funny, though, he loves Bible college...hmmm. (Sorry for going on...)

As far as MrsW's comment? You might want to let your friend know that I know plenty of homosexuals who are not clean shaven. It must be a northern USA thing. hehe. I really have NEVER seen many that are close shaven. :-S They are blatent about who they are, too. The Unitarian "cult" up the street from us...puts the gay pride flags up across the front of the building (a total abomination to God, as we know) and homosexuals hang out up there. BTW, people tear the flags into pieces, all the time, but they continue to put them up, anyway. This statement is so funny to me....hysterical, in fact. :lol:

This was a GREAT thread. Thank you. :smile