• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

atlas

Chess

I'm in.

I play. I make stone chess boards when I'm bored in winter.

I'm a winter player though, when I have time, so get me now while I'm rusty.

Yahoo chess is full of people that just run programs to play you.... with a christian I look forward to that probrably not happening

Are girls allowed to like chess? :ideas:

I enjoy it but am not extremely good at it. No time to sit down and do it online either...but thought I'd stick my head in here and say girls can play logic games too. :lol:

Scrabble is the only game my husband will play with me because its the only game he wins every time. haha. And its not fair either because I spell tons better than him...but he just gets better letters/knows how to use them.

So we don't play games much. haha. I taught him how to play Pente and he couldn't win for anything so we don't play it anymore.

Are girls allowed to like chess? :ideas:

I enjoy it but am not extremely good at it. No time to sit down and do it online either...but thought I'd stick my head in here and say girls can play logic games too. :lol:

No, you're not allowed. Stick to baking your pretty little cakes and leave the "men stuff" to the men. (j/k) :frog

I don't play chess, but my son does. Last year for Christmas we got him the game Chaturanga, which is the precursor of chess. It originated in India, and you have 2-4 people who play - 4 sets of "men" each in a different color. If only two play, each player controls 2 teams. It sounds kinda complicated, but really it, to me, is more fun than chess. But then, I'm more into Scrabble and Scattergories type games.

We had a highschool teacher that would start a chess game at recess with some student and since it always takes awhile to play chess, many times we just had a studyhall that period. :lol: We all loved not having class. Funny thing is we always finished the books in his class too! Never did like chess myself.

My physics teacher in 11th and 12th grade would do that too. If he didn't feel like teaching, or something was going on in school during the day, he'd play me in chess (or Scrabble once in a while). I was never any good, but I did beat him once. It took like an hour and a half almost, so I missed most of my next class. My other teacher wasn't too excited.

Guest Guest

There was mention of online christians having a place to play chess. Does anyone know if there is a like site for christians to play Rook? That's my favorite card game and I would love to get in a group that plays regularly. Thanks for any help.

I have been playing chess since 1972 (age of 13). I was never in any tournaments or on any teams but I used to play on the World Chess Network until that site shut down. Each member had an official rating that equaled the US Chess Federation ratings. My rating was around 1650 (which is Class B). I don't play online chess anymore (the ads are too distracting).

I like chess but really don't like playing it online. I prefer playing it with people I know real well' date=' because i'm not good and need to be able to predict moves by their personality.[/quote']

I've never played chess online.

I knew a guy once who wasn't a very good chess player but he was EXCELLENT at reading his opponents once he played a few games with them. When I first played this guy I won the first three games. After that, we played dozens of games but I never won another. I watched him do the same thing with several other people, at least two of them were really good chess players. After about three games he started dominating the board against all of these players. One of the guys who was really good got so mad because he knew how good he was and how bad his oppenent was yet he couldn't beat him :lol:

an offshoot of the upper two posts:

What do you prefer... black or white?

I was told by the teen group I work with that a couple of them are really good at chess. I brought in a chess board, and I took white each time, and each time they all fell in 4 moves. Even the little genius who was suppose to be my down fall, didn't even know that start.

99% of the time though... ESPECIALLY with someone I've never played before, I love to get black. I let them set the tempo, and the aggressiveness of the game. I'll go up against any player in the world and hold em for 20 if I'm black. They make a mistake, I'm just about good enough to take them down.

I'm not bragging, and I wouldn't talk like this, if my last game wasn't against the runner up of the high school state championship. Didn't even know who I was playing, he was just the kid of a friend of mine. About 10 moves into it I realized I was in bad shape because I wasn't taking it too serious, and it took some recovery, but I took him down. I got a headache, and wished I wasn't playing it stupid to start, but lesson learned about slacking.

On defense, it's much simpler to play a human. Reaction in Chess takes much less thought then action, and you can easily block and counter for move after move after move until the other person gets tired, frustrated, confused, or just plain gives up. Then you kill them. After you kill them, bury the body, and clean up the chess board so no one knows they where there.

:-D

I prefer starting in the defensive position for all the reasons you mentioned, although I'm not anywhere near as good as you are and since I haven't played in years I'd probably be on the defensive even if I made the first move! :lol:

Honest answer please.... how hard is it to learn how to play chess?

My husband is an avid chess player, he loves it and plays on several online groups. He is extremely good at chess and won many competitions (yes my husband was in the chess club in high school :lol: ). I want to learn how to play for him (he's always saying he wishes I knew how to play). My chess knowledge ends at which pieces are pawns and that the king must be taken to win - that's sadly all I know. I don't know how to play checkers either, so don't tell me it's just like that :Bleh

Honest answer please.... how hard is it to learn how to play chess?

My husband is an avid chess player, he loves it and plays on several online groups. He is extremely good at chess and won many competitions (yes my husband was in the chess club in high school :lol: ). I want to learn how to play for him (he's always saying he wishes I knew how to play). My chess knowledge ends at which pieces are pawns and that the king must be taken to win - that's sadly all I know. I don't know how to play checkers either, so don't tell me it's just like that :Bleh

It's just like checkers! hahaha. just kidding. Chess is actually pretty easy to learn although difficult to master. If you go to yahoo games and click on "chess" they have a tutorial and the other benefit is that when you play it gives you the option of showing you all possible moves when you click on any given piece during play. :smile