• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Chess

atlas

• Members

It's a "mind game."

In my school days I gave it more attention than my subjects - always with chess books of games & opening & other theory. I played for the school & county, & held my own against British Championship contenders. I could play simultaneous blindfold games. I lost one game in 3 years at university.

Then I was first converted, then fell in love, & my chess career stalled. I could not spare the time nor money to continue playing at high level.

Because it is played in the mind - & you are not actually considering the position, but all the possibilities arising from a selection of moves - it takes over your thoughts whenever it can. 50 years on I can still play through games in bed, or during sermons. If my mind wanders, it plays chess. My last serious match was about 30 years ago.

Play chess for fun, but if you take it seriously, it takes over your mind.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It's a "mind game."

In my school days I gave it more attention than my subjects - always with chess books of games & opening & other theory. I played for the school & county, & held my own against British Championship contenders. I could play simultaneous blindfold games. I lost one game in 3 years at university.

Then I was first converted, then fell in love, & my chess career stalled. I could not spare the time nor money to continue playing at high level.

Because it is played in the mind - & you are not actually considering the position, but all the possibilities arising from a selection of moves - it takes over your thoughts whenever it can. 50 years on I can still play through games in bed, or during sermons. If my mind wanders, it plays chess. My last serious match was about 30 years ago.

Play chess for fun, but if you take it seriously, it takes over your mind.

:amen: I had to give it up because I was spending all my free time playing chess, and very little in my Bible! Yes, it can take over your mind. I used to play at work, on my breaks, but that time was previously dedicated to the Lord; That went on for awhile until the Lord got hold of me and straightened me up! It can get the best of you.

My cousin used to play blindfolded too; he beat a few masters, but I haven't heard from or about him in years (my family is not close) so I don't know how he made out. Have you ever played 3-D chess? That is a challenge, at least for me. I haven't played in years to any extent, although my computer has a chess game installed (2 of them!) and once in awhile I amuse myself with it. It is more under control for me when I just play it for amusement, and once-in-awhile.

I had books on chess openings too, and liked them. I mostly "read" my opponent though who was my dad as a young man. He began with the same opening every time! It was always p-KP4 and then Qp-3 and both the knights followed. A standard opening, but he was a terror in mid-game. Edited by irishman

• 1 year later...