• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Biblical Tongues...

• Members
I agree Seth and Dwayne. I don't see that verse as having anything to do with tongues not being around today, especially in light of the fact that he details how they should be used in the following chapter. :bonk:
In a context of an entire chapter on love, it seems extremely apparent to me that it is saying, while prophecy, tongues and knowledge do not endure forever, love is unending.

The verse Seth quoted 1 Cor. 13:8 says tongues will cease.

The following two verses I believe say when tongues will cease.

vs 9 "For we know in part,and we prophesy in part. vs.10 "But that which is perfect is come,then that which is in part shall be done away."

I believe these three verses teach us how we received God's revelation (the Bible) in NT times, when it was completed (that which is perfect), these revelatory gifts(tongues, prophecy, knowledge, which in context means revelatory knowledge) will cease.

When this letter was written, the Bible wasn't completed, so God was telling the folks in Corinth how the tongues gift were to be presented in church, but when God's word was completed,these gifts would cease. God's word was completed with the book of Revelation.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

vs 9 "For we know in part,and we prophesy in part. vs.10 "But that which is perfect is come,then that which is in part shall be done away."

I believe these three verses teach us how we received God's revelation (the Bible) in NT times, when it was completed (that which is perfect), these revelatory gifts(tongues, prophecy, knowledge, which in context means revelatory knowledge) will cease.

When this letter was written, the Bible wasn't completed, so God was telling the folks in Corinth how the tongues gift were to be presented in church, but when God's word was completed,these gifts would cease. God's word was completed with the book of Revelation.

:goodpost:

• Members

:amen: and may I add.

True, but it seems many let their self be influenced by experience and what man has to say. For instant this man who makes the claim that someone set before him listening to him preach, understood what he said but did not know the language he preached in.

We are only suppose to be influence by God's Word. If we let experiences and what man has to say we will be ever changing, God and God's Word does not change.

We are suppose to divided the Word of the truth to know what is right and what is wrong, not mans word.

15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2 Tim 2:15 (KJV)

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

2 Tim 3:16-17 (KJV)

And with God's Words we are throughly furnished unto all good works, not with the word of man. God's Word is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, not mans word nor mans experiences..

• Members

So my question is, why can't God translate the language like He did in Acts?

It still seems like you are grasping at straws to use 1 Corinthians 13 as proof for their cessation. It says that love never ceases. Prophecy will cease, it does not endure forever, various tongues(languages) do not endure forever. Love always has been and always will be, is the point of the verse. On this earth, we will only ever know "in part." When Christ returns, then we will be "perfected" and we will know and understand completely.

• Members
Once again' date=' the tongues(foreign languages) were given for a sign to unbelieving Jews that Judgement was emminent. Not only have tongues ceased, but so have other apostolic miracles.... like raising the dead.[/quote']

Right, and people like Benny Hinn and his likes keeps putting doubt in peoples minds and steering them off the true course that God's Word tells us about.

• Members
Once again' date=' the tongues(foreign languages) were given for a sign to unbelieving Jews that Judgement was emminent. Not only have tongues ceased, but so have other apostolic miracles.... like raising the dead.[/quote']
So do you believe that miracles are impossible today or just the magnitude of those miracles?

• Members

The greatest miracles done these days is when a soul is saved from the depths of hell.

Miracles do happen, but not as they did during the days of Christ and the apostles walking on this earth. Under this topic it has been pointed out what the Bible tells us about this.

Our living God is all powerful and all knowing, but if He went against what He has told us in His Word, The Holy Bible, them we could not trust Him.

"I Corinthians 13:8-13 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity."

Bro. Johnny Mac, please consider this... Even if your point of view on these verses is correct in many isolated countries it could be argued that scripture has not yet come to them. It may either be not available in their language or just simply very, very hard to get. I believe the stronger and more open satan is in a given area the more powerful God will show himself. Which would leave the possibility open in "dark" areas of the world even if your point of view is right.

Personally, I read this passage as speaking of our future glorified body and fellowship with Christ. Did the completion of scripture cause us to know God as he knows us? Absolutely not. We do know God through scripture but if we actually knew him as well as he knows us we wouldn't disagree on anything would we? Though some things are clearly revealed we still see through a glass darkly in other areas don't we? Further, Paul uses the personal pronoun "I" when he says "then shall I know even as also I am known.". Paul died before the book of Revelation was written... That says to me he was not referring to the completion of scripture in this passage but rather of heaven...

• Members
"I Corinthians 13:8-13 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity."

Bro. Johnny Mac, please consider this... Even if your point of view on these verses is correct in many isolated countries it could be argued that scripture has not yet come to them. It may either be not available in their language or just simply very, very hard to get. I believe the stronger and more open satan is in a given area the more powerful God will show himself. Which would leave the possibility open in "dark" areas of the world even if your point of view is right.

Personally, I read this passage as speaking of our future glorified body and fellowship with Christ. Did the completion of scripture cause us to know God as he knows us? Absolutely not. We do know God through scripture but if we actually knew him as well as he knows us we wouldn't disagree on anything would we? Though some things are clearly revealed we still see through a glass darkly in other areas don't we? Further, Paul uses the personal pronoun "I" when he says "then shall I know even as also I am known.". Paul died before the book of Revelation was written... That says to me he was not referring to the completion of scripture in this passage but rather of heaven...

:goodpost:

• Members

No, I didn't say miracles were impossible;
But I don't believe it happens like this anymore......

Act 3:6 Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.

Act 9:40 But Peter put them all forth, and kneeled down, and prayed; and turning [him] to the body said, Tabitha, arise. And she opened her eyes: and when she saw Peter, she sat up.

I'd like to see Benny Hinn do that one.... shondalalalalaa!!! BAAAM!!! Be healed!!! :roll

No, I didn't say miracles were impossible;
But I don't believe it happens like this anymore......

Act 3:6 Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.

Act 9:40 But Peter put them all forth, and kneeled down, and prayed; and turning [him] to the body said, Tabitha, arise. And she opened her eyes: and when she saw Peter, she sat up.

I'd like to see Benny Hinn do that one.... shondalalalalaa!!! BAAAM!!! Be healed!!!

This is an example of what I said about a reaction to pentecostals. :wink I believe it COULD happen just like that today BUT if you study scripture you will see that there are periods when God chose to use miracles, prophets, etc. and periods when he did not even in the OT.

"1 Samuel 3:1 And the child Samuel ministered unto the LORD before Eli. And the word of the LORD was precious in those days; there was no open vision. "

There was a time just before the coming of Christ where this was true too.

"Matthew 29-36 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous, And say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets. Wherefore ye be witnesses unto yourselves, that ye are the children of them which killed the prophets. Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers. Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell? Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city: That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar. Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation."

• Members

The trouble with you, your looking back to Paul, its not what Paul meant, for Paul did not actually author the books, God did this thru Paul. So your analogy of what Paul meant is useless.

So it depends on what God meant, not what Paul meant.

So yes, God saw the whole picture and knew the complete Bible would come to pass and these gifts would pass away, for after all He is the One who gave such gifts to man and He knew exactly when He would no longer give such gifts to man.

I for one am glad God did not give such gifts and power to man after the days of the apostles, the one thing that ruins man is power, the more they have, the worse they are, but God knew this. Example, Benny Hinn & that bunch who misuse God and God's Word as well as all the other false teachers in this world.